Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:37:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Devs working on retina screens
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Devs working on retina screens  (Read 1602 times)
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »

Yea it's pretty much web and games on Steam that look blurry, so like, everything. My image editor too; I use GIMP which I've used for pixel art forever so I know it's not doing any interpolating when I zoom in.

To everyone, I'm only talking about Apple/Mac retina displays, HD or 4k or whatever the fuck displays things fine.

2x-ing pixel art and then displaying the image at half-res makes things a lot sharper yea but still not accurate. Anyways it sounds like it's something that's just gonna have to be lived with, kinda feels like the death of pixel art to me if all monitors go this way, at least like, 1:1 pixel art.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

Really? In GIMP and games things look fine to me. So for me at least, it only seems to be due to interpolation in the browser, and doesn't seem to happen anywhere else. /: MBP 15" from 2013 if that helps.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 04:56:34 AM »

the only reason you should be getting any blur in pixel art on a monitor like that is if either your video card driver or your monitor hardware (i don't have one, with how "smart" they're getting i wouldn't put it past it though..) is doing some sort of AA With pixel art you always want linear scaling with no AA or you lose detail and blur the artwork.  Im on linux myself so it's a bit different but they do have similar graphics layers and drivers, and my nvidia driver has the option to do full screen AA for my window manager which has the EXACT effect you're talking about, it makes high res artwork look amazingly crisp and pixel art look blurry and wrong, with icons all messed up in firefox.  Games though look fine because they have their own opengl context and the AA is controlled by the application for that window.

It's turned off by default in the driver, but maybe for apple if it detects a retina display it turns that driver option on by default?

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic