Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:54:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHEADLINER: What if YOU controlled the news?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HEADLINER: What if YOU controlled the news?  (Read 1896 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »

What if YOU controlled the News?
short media bias adventure game about controlling the news and it’s impact on your career, society, and family. Share your story, and see what the Headliner before you did.

Genetic engineering and civil unrest loom over Galixia. You are the Chief Curator of a local News Channel. You are the HEADLINER

• Multiple outcomes on different aspects of the story lead to unique endings you can share with the community
  • Average playthrough is around 45 mins with room for replay and experimentation
  • Curate articles and create your OWN unique bias!
  • Stroll down the streets and watch how society changes
  • Chat with your family about their struggles, love or hate
  • Colorblind-friendly design considerations

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:35:03 PM by Koobazaur » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

i remember this from before and it’s still rad

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

This is awesome, what a great idea!
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

Dope dude, glad to see you make something after Karaski. Gomez

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »

I'll play any game w/ molotovs.   Well, hello there!

-Fro-gAH-nus
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement guys Smiley Got some good feedback here from my previous threads here too!

The last thing to do is add the achievements... trying to think of some clever and fun ones :D

I'll play any game w/ molotovs.   Well, hello there!

Why, may I indulge you in a little spinoff game I made while developing Headliner: Mr. Molotov Man. It is... exactly what it sounds like Tongue

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 06:04:32 AM »

horeh sheeeeeeeet.
 Who, Me?  Who, Me?  Who, Me?
 Well, hello there!  Well, hello there!  Well, hello there!
 Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

that's pretty awesome.

-Fro-gAH-nus
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

Made a female version of my logo because #feminism

and finished setting up the first batch of achievements Smiley Trying to think of some more fun ones to add...

Mnniska
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:03:15 AM »

Dang this premise has me hooked good.

From what I have seen, it seems like the game gives the player more of an uh..narrative agency rather than providing any challenge. Is there any strategy to the game or is it solely focused on exploring the narrative?

Wishlisted!  Coffee
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »

Thanks for Wishlisting Smiley

It's mostly narrative-based challenges but there are some gameplay mechanics that factor into it such as running errands on the way home, and later you get some limitations as how many articles you can or must publish in a day. But it'll definitely not test your twitch reflex :p
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »

Oh and if anyone lives in Seattle, I'd like to invite you to the Headliner Launch Party Happy Hour and Geekaraoke! on Monday August 28, 5pm-11pm at Club Contour (807 1st Ave, Seattle, Washington 98104)

I never threw any parties for my previous games so figured what the heck! So if you're in the area, Come support your fellow Seattle Indie over drinks and #FakeNews debates! There might some free drinks, if the news does not lie, and demo or two of the game. Plus other props, funzies and, of couse, karaoke after!

The event is proudly sponsored by Hashbang Games and Club Contour with Dj Baby Ketten!

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »

Here's a write up & photos for the recent HEADLINER launch party and Seattle Indies Expo exhibit:

“Hey, sitting in the patio with a beer.”  The first text I got at 4:38pm as I approached the bar. Countless thoughts and worries evaporated from my mind as I realized it was beginning. The poster almost slipped from my hands. Time to put on the game face.

Continue reading -->

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »

CONTEST - get featured in the game!!

You can now create YOUR OWN in-game #FakeNews NEWS Article and play with it directly in your browser! If you share it you might even get a hance to be featured in full game upon release :D

[ Make Your OWN #FakeNews ]

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »

I tweaked the page with better instructions and showing zoomed-in article on start Smiley
TheGiant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 11:46:50 PM »

Looks interesting
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

Little update, I got all the feedback from the Seattle Indies Expo in to the game :] Biggest tweak is that you now DRAG the articles around rather than clicking. I kept fighting the design since I wanted that "rewarding" feeling of clicking on an article to stamp it, but it just flew against people's instinct to drag things. Bummer, but sometimes you just gotta admit when you're wrong.

Here's a new little GIF:

Last but not least - anyone coming to Geek Girl Con? I'll be exhibiting there, so come by say hi :D
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

Update on the contest - Buccura Seifert's submission won and is now officially in-game :D

I kind of liked the idea and thinking of making it an ongoing thing - maybe like a weeky rotation of the most popular user-submitted article?
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »

And it's officially released :D

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:43:29 AM »

Some reactions from my recent Geek Girl Con exhibit. Because YOU TOO can be a terrible father :D

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

Porting to Mac, progress happening :D Big thanks to Fluffy for lending me his Mac Mini to work on!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic