Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:49:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesRestructuring TIGForums
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Restructuring TIGForums  (Read 14401 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:47:25 AM »

Hi everyone!

Capntastic and I are in the process of restructuring the forums, getting rid of some inactive boards and just simplifying the subforum structure in general. We'll post changes here as they happen.

So far we have...

1. Pushed Devlogs up to the 2nd position. It's our most popular subforum and deserves a spot at the top

2. Removed Tutorials because it wasn't very active. If you want to post or request a tutorial, please do so in the appropriate creative or technical board.  Smiley

3. Merged Competitions with Jams & Events

4. Removed References. Mostly inactive sub-board of Art. Content has been merged with the main Art board.

Note: the removed boards are not deleted, just either merged with another board, or archived and hidden. Individual threads can be salvaged from archived boards if the need arises.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:53:57 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »

I'm not sure removing reference was smart, it's inactive but it's reference, it made it easy to find them when needed instead of being buried, not all thread worth are about click per second. Some are consultation! I used to come back to reference even when I didn't posted at all!

Same with tutorial.

However you admin, you god, your world to shape as you see it fit

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »

well my idea was to have a tutorial sticky in each of the creative and technical boards. the rationale is that people usually arent usually just looking for "tutorials", but for a specific tutorial about a specific subject.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »

Maybe a reference sticky can link back to useful thread or post? I mean instead of a full forum.
While people aren't looking for tutorial as a whole but specific subject, being lost in a single catch all thread is better at finding information. I don't really know what's the best solution any way. I think my game art/progen thread seems to work well (as occasional subscribing post seems to imply), I also receive PM to help find specific post due to my thread, but I don't really know lol. We need analytic ROFL!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

Worth mentioning that the tutorials that were in Tutorials aren't deleted, just hidden from normal view. If there's a tutorial that you want back, just ask.

e.g. I moved my "Game Maker for Beginners" tutorial into Technical: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3251.0
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »

Made the old archived boards publicly viewable here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=56.0
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:35 AM »

Got rid of overarching "Creative" board and made Art, Audio and Design top-level boards.

I've already moved the sticky and the recent threads from the first page to their new homes. If anyone wants a thread salvaged from there, please ask here or drop me a PM!  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:40:00 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:56 AM »

Created new "Jobs" section with Offering Paid Work for, well, paid work and Collaborations for unpaid work.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:58:32 AM »

I feel like portfolios are relevant for both so it's a little weird to have it as a subforum to paid work specifically.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »

Portfolios is for people looking for paid work only, actually. It sez so in the description.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »

Created tutorial stickies in each of the creative forums. Those are supposed to be easily accessible resources to replace the old (now archived) tutorials board.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »

JWK5 is now local mod for the art forum.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »

Portfolios is now a top level board.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »

Table Talk is now live for all of your non-video game related needs
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »

Devlogs promoted + portfolio forums: Cool!

Cool to see Tabletalk. Great to have a  Tiger alternative to There's also http://bgdf.com/ and BGG.

Tutorial forum is now: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=16.0

(Hi Derek!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:51:10 PM by quantumpotato » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »

Hi!

Since we've had a possible recent case of emails being scraped from the forums for spam purposes, we've decided to

1. Prevent guests from viewing user profiles

2. Prevent all regular users from viewing the member list

Please consider hiding your email address in your profile settings (unfortunately SMF does not have an option to enable this by default)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 06:32:52 AM »

Hi!

Since we've had a possible recent case of emails being scraped from the forums for spam purposes, we've decided to

Please consider hiding your email address in your profile settings (unfortunately SMF does not have an option to enable this by default)

Thanks, updated!

With Spelunky 2 announced, will Derek Yu be returning to devlog here?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 05:56:32 AM »

Hi!

Thanks, updated!

With Spelunky 2 announced, will Derek Yu be returning to devlog here?

thanks, silbie knows this information deeply and it is a secret

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »

Great job with the new, more flat structure. Subforums in subforums in subforums are annoying.

"Forum Issues" is another candidate for a top level board, imho. And "Workshop" could be merged with "Art", because the thread topics are pretty similar - artists looking for feedback/critique to improve.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »

While we're at it, I personally think jams/events and competitions could be merged too. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic