Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:13:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVisitor Center, short love letter to SNES Jurassic Park
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Visitor Center, short love letter to SNES Jurassic Park  (Read 3782 times)
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

UPDATE 10/30: It's done!

UPDATE 10/8: Ready for people to try the final release! Help me out and check this post for download links.

Heyo. I haven't posted in a while. Like nearly a decade. I originally set up these forum with Derek. If you remember me please reference some 2005 era in-joke. Or tell me if this looks at all familiar:

I'm making games again! Or starting to. Actually I've never finished any to be honest. But THATS ABOUT TO CHANGE. For the last year I've been working on an editor/tool for Unity that lets me build sector-based level environments like mid 90s shooters. Mainly modeled after Ken Silverman's build engine and editor. Here's an old Tumblr with some screenshots and a video about it towards the bottom. I've rebuilt it since then to work inside the Unity editor so you can actually do things the Unity way.

So one of my demos was rebuilding the first floor of the visitor center from the 1993 SNES Jurassic Park game. Because I loved that game. Even if it were rushed and has its problems, as a kid it was easy to see it for what it could have been. But even for what it was it was pretty cool. It was the only Jurassic Park game of the originals that had an FPS mode for interiors. Of course, unlike a PC game, there's no easy way to get at the level data or even the art data (I tried going through a ROM save dump and found nothing, perhaps because of the hacks they did to do FPS natively on SNES with Mode 7?)... so I had to map out the floor plan and wall textures by hand and then screenshot every texture and fix up in Photoshop. If this sound laborious it's worse than that because of the way it would unevenly re-pixelate anything inside interiors from every position. ANYWAY, I did enough to rebuild the first level using my tool. Over a year ago. I took a screenshot and then actually stopped working on the tool entirely.

Then a few months ago I started working on the tool again, porting it to run as a Unity editor. I wanted to use it for something totally different from FPS's, outdoor areas for maybe a top down adventure game? Here was one experiment with that.

But those projects were rather ambitious. Not necessarily ideal for a first completed project. I started playing around with the Jurassic Park interior more and made it actually playable. And even though the environments were way simpler than my tool allowed, it covered a lot of basics I needed to make sure it did right. So I kept going. Then a friend suggested I submit it to a festival. It's not even an original game! But I guess he saw the love in it, and I started looking at it like a "cover" ... something we don't see that often in indie games outside of demakes. Here I was trying to capture the spirit of the game, but adapted to modern playability standards.

I decided to go for the festival submission, even if it was going to be rejected, just to have a deadline. And it worked! It's now a (nearly) complete, playable game. It's short, and still (intentionally) has some of the issues of the original, but it's a game! I'm posting here because I do have some cool making-of material to share with my first and favorite indie game making community. And I have a little bit more to go before final release.

Here's how it looks now (not sure whats up with the Youtube mangled colors):

You can even download and try the beta (more screenshots too):
https://progrium.itch.io/visitor-center

THOUGHTS??
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:14:32 PM by progrium » Logged

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:33:20 AM »

The raptor was the hardest to rip. An animated billboard with multiple states and directions. Plus there aren't very many cheats or hacks I know of that would let you get close to them without it behaving differently. So some animations were lower quality than others, but luckily you see those less anyway.

The worst one I tried to replace by tweaking some other sprites but you might notice the animation turns out terrible. After this video I went back and found a clever way to get a better quality version of that animation.

The spitter was much easier since it doesn't move so has basically 2 animations: spit and death.

The wall textures were the easiest since you could just walk up to a wall, get it pretty straight, and screenshot. The workflow for that with Photoshop was actually kind of interesting I wish I recorded a video of that.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »

Making the environment was a two step process:
1) map out the floor plan and make a note of the wall texture for each wall part,
2) recreate it in Unity using my tool.

Here's a video of each for the basement / sublevel floor:

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
bakajo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »

That looks pretty laborious.  I tried out the demo.  It runs great, but it's hard.  The furthest I got was clearing 2.5 floors.  This reminds me so much of Chex Quest, which is the game of this genre that I played a lot of from this era.

I feel like there is some room to do some really cool modern stuff in this style.  Bring in some of the visual ideas that game Sacramento has.

Is this just a recreation?  Or are you going to expand on the game?
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »

The game is definitely hard. Yeah I remember Chex Quest, it was a sector-based engine game (Doom engine). The engine they put together for JP was a bit closer to Wolf3d, but with a smaller grid. Thanks for playing it though! And for the feedback.

I love what Sacramento did, and games like Proteus. There's a lot of interesting art styles and non-traditional gameplay to explore with this type of framework that hasn't really been explored. I plan to do more of that over time. This is my first (almost) finished project, so I wanted to keep it simple to achieve that goal. I dreamed of recreating the entire game in this first person view, but I'd rather invest the work and time into something original. That said, I'm pretty into this cover approach. I do it a lot for learning music production.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:29 AM »

This is extremely my shit
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »

While I'm finishing the last bits up, I'd love to see if anybody out there has ideas for an original title roughly based on the same mechanics and scope of this project. It'd be cool to collaborate on something based on this project.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »

The beta build is featured on the itch.io homepage! Thanks everybody that's played and that one weirdo that made a YouTube video:

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

I reposted about the art extraction process on the itch.io devlog, but put together this GIF to show how the game would re-pixelate and distort everything from slightly different positions. Thought I'd share here:

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »

Finally implementing the computer terminals and I've decided to use this screen mode for the main menu:

This is probably my favorite part of the entire SNES game. Just to be clear, not my art.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

As I continue to polish the game here are some screenshots from my Unity extension for sectors. These can be used as maps if anybody needs them while playing the game. Like Doom and Build engine, these editor views can be repurposed for game automaps. Since the original JP game didn't have a map, though, I decided to leave it out. Maybe for the next game.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »

I love seeing all this level design mapping so much goodness.

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »

This is so incredible, so many memories are flooding back to me of this part of the game. This looks REALLY solid, well done! I only ever beat this game once, one of the hardest games ever - the constant grind but damn was it a thrill every step of the way.
Ayramen_Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »

This game is the perfect tribute to Wolfenstein 3D and Jurassic Park Smiley  Beer!

progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'm hoping to finish a release candidate this week and I'll post it here for feedback before final release. It'll have more polish, lots of bug fixes and design fixes after watching some of the playthroughs, interactive computers, basic completion stats (time, dinos killed), and some new secrets.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »

Hey everybody! Showed it at Juegos Rancheros here in Austin and lots of people seemed to enjoy it. I'm posting a release candidate here for the final release. Please help me out by trying it, reporting any bugs, provide any feedback, etc. I'd love to hear it, but it's basically done so don't expect major changes. Need to move on to the next project! One question I'd love to know is: is the audio too quiet?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iaqa6boeru26pud/VisitorCenter-1.1rc1-win.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls2gvt90iqaqa7b/VisitorCenter-1.1rc1-osx.zip?dl=0

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »

Today I released it. Yay! The beta was featured on Nostalgia Nerd:

Okay, go download and play!
https://progrium.itch.io/visitor-center