Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:22:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)First go doing pixels.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First go doing pixels.  (Read 1871 times)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »

I usually do traditional animation rather then pixel, but my mate got me to do some pixel animations for something he's working on, what do you's think?
Papich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »

It's obvious that you are used to doing animation stuff. The exagerated movements are great. But i have 1 minor problem with your first animation. I think he is bending knees but the result looks weird (because of the low res. Try to do the same animation without these 2 pixels representing knees, it will be enough to understand what's happening)

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »

Instead of the pixels for knees, shadowing on the paintleg kind of like you almost have on his right leg. Shadowing representing the bending.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 04:46:46 AM »

Thanks, I completely redid the walking one since it was basically my first go using the program, and redid the idle with your suggestions
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »

Nice first pixel art.
The head is maybe moving left-right a little too much when walking.

Brandon Swan
Level 0

Battery Jam

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »

Thanks, I completely redid the walking one since it was basically my first go using the program, and redid the idle with your suggestions

The changes to the knees look great and I really dig the secondary motion on both!
The walking animation does feel a bit like a peppy jaunt to me, bordering on jog, specifically because of the strong V you're getting with one of the steps. I don't know that I've got anything particularly constructive to point out to address it if that wasn't your intent, but if it was, then it's feeling pretty good to me!
I'm excited to see more, these are cute!
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »

Yeah he was supposed to be a little jaunty. I was kinda going for a vibe similar to like, old 1930's cartoons, where they're always bouncing and shit and like, ten seconds away from breaking into dance cause he apparently wants to put a bunch of music/dancing shit in it.
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »

Detail feedback: there is a red pixel under the glasses everywhere, and I don't really understand what it's doing there. I think it's supposed to be a nose, but in that case it's not working for me. My suggestion would be to either make it closer to the skin color or to remove it completely, and I think the latter would work best.

Overall feedback: super-nice, I'm also excited to see more!
mpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:43 AM »

Just my 2c Smiley

You can obviously animate!

You should move out of your comfort zone and try animating pixel art with more defined features. Right now you've essentially animated a stick figure and from the looks of it, you can manage something better.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »

I really like it! I still don't consider myself experienced in pixel art, despite doing it for a few years now, but I have no real criticism to give. The animation is good and the sprite is readable.

You might want to look into techniques of creating the illusion of small movements in pixel art because of its low resolution, as I find that to be the biggest challenge yet and the most particular thing about pixel art animation (hence we don't bring that knowledge from other animation techniques). For example, to make the upper body bounce like that you know the knees must bend, but there isn't a lot of pixels to draw the legs that way. To be honest I think your animation is working already, but for the sake of argument, let's say that extra row of pixels you put made the legs seem bigger than they are. If you simply move the torso and maybe add a shadow on the knee it could sell the idea. Sometimes I see the movement broken into unintuitive parts, like the hands go right left and the arms go up down, and the sum of it makes the arms+hands look like they are doing an arc movement, while if you were to try and animate an actual arc the entire pixel structure would look deformed.

Anyway, just giving you a heads up.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:14:44 AM »

@ Mpixel and Woseseltops, I didn't actually do the design for the character so I didn't have much say in those parts. My mate drew a single idle frame and then paid me 50 bucks to do the animations for it. I'm not sure how much more I'm actually going to be doing based on weather he pays me more or not. The actual animation I'm doing for my own game looks more like this.

@diegzumillo
Cool man thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that if I keep doing more.
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:12 AM »

My mate drew a single idle frame and then paid me 50 bucks to do the animations for it.

Kind of curious: how did s/he respond? Because your work is awesome.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »

Ha man I should post here more often it's good for my ego.

He was good with it. He's known me for a long time and has seen a lot of my stuff before and we've worked on some failed game projects before so he had a pretty good idea of what to expect.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

So since thanks to piskel I can do this shit while I'm bored at work, I figured I may as well keep mucking around with it, first go at doing something more complex then just game animations.
This is just the first pass at getting the animatin done without any real characters or anything yet, (sorry Mpixel it's still just stick figures)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »

Pretty happy with how it's coming along
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »

New one looks really good.

First one the glasses look the same every frame even though there's so much movement that it looks off.

Nice work buddy Smiley

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »

I think I've taken this as far as I can in just normal pixeling, gonna import it into after effects to add some more details (Flickering on the sign, rain, fudge the lighting etc)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic