Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:35:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat's the best online space for an early fanbase?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's the best online space for an early fanbase?  (Read 625 times)
filiph
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »

Hi all,

From what I've read, success of an indie game largely hinges on the size and enthusiasm of its community. All the articles about Kickstarter/Steam successes boil down to this. Even the Kickstarter Handbook says (emphasis mine):

"Kickstarter is a great way to share your ideas with new people. Still, most of your support will come from your core networks, and the people most familiar with your work."

I will soon have something playable, like a short demo, and I want to make sure that I somehow stay in touch with the people who like it. Otherwise, I will have no way of letting them know that the game is either complete or needing their input / support.

The options I've thought about so far:

• mailing list on something like google groups (people can post and reply)
  • "Sign up for email updates" - a form asking for email address, so I can reach people that way (but they don't know about each other and cannot communicate among themselves)
  • Facebook Group
  • Facebook Page
  • Twitter account
  • Dev Blog

I obviously want to go with as few of the options as possible, with reasonable impact. Ideally, just one of those things would be enough to gather most of the interested players.

For completeness, things that I've rejected:

• a full internet forum (such as forums.tigsource.com) — way too much work for both me and the community (yet another login)
  • Kickstarter campaign — I currently have no bandwidth to build a good Kickstarter campaign
  • Steam — my game is web/mobile-based and textual, not a great fit for Steam
  • Twitch — my game is web/mobile-based and textual, not a great fit for Twitch

What are your suggestions? Any articles that I should read on this topic?

I work on making open-world books possible.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »

Michael has helped quite a few successful kickstarters, and while I don't personally sign up for email mailing lists, many of the games he's worked with have really good mailing list numbers.

I personally prefer twitter. GIFs on twitter seem to get a lot of mileage.

But look at the Burrito Galaxy or Knuckle Sandwich web page. The sign up is prominent on their websites. While not the largest games, they have decent followings.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic