Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:29:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNakawak : New Title Screen
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nakawak : New Title Screen  (Read 2165 times)
Anxious Neck Games
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »

10/10/17 (release impending):

Nakawak launches tonight at Midnight for all who are interested!

9/16/17:

Here's the link to the Steam storefont that has just recently gone live:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/716150/Nakawak/

9/15/17:

Steam Release Date for the black and white edition of Nakawak is set! October 11th. Mark it on your calendar. Wink Beer!

9/8/17:

9/3/17:

I have added a very basic, functional map to the game. I've always avoided hand holding in exploration titles...but being it's the "standard" these days, I figured it should be available as an option.

Nakawak is an ode to my childhood. I created it because it was a game that I wanted for myself. I went into this project, not wanting to reinvent the wheel. I wanted to make a game that felt like something I have played before with a bit of myself thrown in. It started out as an experiment about a year ago and over that time it went through several incarnations. Nakawak, being the latest, most polished variant. Below are some images from the game. I will post more over time.

This is a concept image I created for a possible SNES style sequel of Nakawak titled Nakawak 2: Space Children

And the rest are from Nakawak: Grayscale Edition, releasing sometime late September, early October 2017 on Steam:

If this interests anyone, I have also started work on an expanded, colorized edition of the game. It is live on Kickstarter and has only 5 days left. It could become so much more than just a small expansion and palette swap. I have a vision of Nakawak, and that vision is of two games standing tall on their own as companion pieces, rather than glorified DLC.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880857063/nakawak-a-gameboy-style-metroidvania-for-pc?ref=user_menu

And below is a fun color test a friend and I did for a possible Sega Genesis port of the game sometime in the future:

Thanks for looking! I'll keep posting updates, as I said, over time. Peace!

9/19/17

I did a little sketch/scribbling today. Here's a living door that you have to battle to pass beyond it. They go dormant for a time, but you have to be prepared for its reawakening... Also, lurking above is a large lizard enemy or potential lizard boss:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:32:55 PM by Anxious Neck Games » Logged
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »

Awesome! Love the character design.
Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

Thanks! I'm kind of a backwards developer. The coding and technical stuff comes from the art direction rather than creating coded prototypes and then artwork. Might not be a traditional development cycle, but, hey, it's how I do my thing.
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »

Makes sense, whatever works!
Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

Just a small update for Nakawak. The expanded color edition is coming nicely. Below in an image of the new widescreen view. I wanted the original to have a true retro look (square window), but this one will have bigger worlds to explore and bigger bosses to battle, so the larger view is very necessary.

Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »

Thanks! I'm kind of a backwards developer. The coding and technical stuff comes from the art direction rather than creating coded prototypes and then artwork. Might not be a traditional development cycle, but, hey, it's how I do my thing.

Thankfully, we live in an era where "Game makers" don't have to be programmers first and foremost.  Keep kicking arse, dude!

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »

Love the look of this game! Especially the first few early shots, I prefer the small black and white square screens personally. They have a more authentic retro feel and a more claustrophobic atmosphere to it but I can understand why you'd want to expand it to fit new ideas.

Random thought, I was thinking the original screen ratio version could handle large bosses by making your player sprite and the surrounding tiles much smaller for the boss fight to emphasize the scale of things similar to an over world map in an rpg? I'm tempted to now try that idea myself for something... anyways very inspiring work!

Nilanjan_1986
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »

This looks great!!! Awesome job man!
Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »

Nakawak is $6.99 with a 25% off discount: http://store.steampowered.com/app/716150/Nakawak/

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »

Testing out widescreen in pre-existing levels before I color everything. I want everything looking good and running smoothly before I get ahead of myself.

Jovu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »

This looks awesome! Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres, and this is giving me serious Metroid 2 vibes.

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »

This looks awesome! Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres, and this is giving me serious Metroid 2 vibes.

Thanks! Metroid II was definitely my main inspiration. Smiley
 It's on Steam right for 25% off if you're interested:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/716150/Nakawak/
Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 01:21:34 PM »

New colorization and backgrounds!

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »

New missiles!! Spirally things. Background things.

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

Congratulations on finishing!

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

Thanks! The color edition has a lot of work left though. Smiley
Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »

Nakawak, lava, mountains, and a breaking rope bridge.

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »

New title screen:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic