Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:55:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioLooking for feedback on my album Sea of Dreams!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on my album Sea of Dreams!  (Read 1724 times)
mightyacornmusic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2017, 06:56:29 AM »

Hello everyone. I've just finished my album Sea of Dreams, a collection of game music tracks. I'd like to know what you think. You can grab a free copy here: http://www.vgmonline.net/giveaway-friday-sea-of-dreams/.

Alternatively the whole thing is available for streaming on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/mightyacornmusic/sets/sea-of-dreams

The album contains tracks for the games: Gone Wandering, Islands of Chaos, and World of Hex. It's all in fantasy style Smiley Please let me know what you think.

thanks!

Jordan

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:23:56 AM »

I gave it a listen through soundcloud.
Here is what I think...

Well, you know what you're doing that's for sure. Some tracks have that groovy bass accompanied with reverberated leads, pads and other stuff that sometimes other instruments support that groovy element making it a little of jazz (without going extreme) and i really like it. Later tracks are going more new-agey and airy, putting bells in to the first charts. "Into the Cosmos" has a nice theme although personally i would change that trancy synth hit to something else, it really doesn't fit to it if you compare it with the rest tracks in the album but that's just IMHO.

Melody-wise it's all professional work. No falses and disharmony. It's really pleasant Gentleman

As for technical, could use that bass boost, it's often drowned in most parts where other instruments prevail. Although, The last tracks ends with the bass line that is alright. I think you do the final mastering in headphones, take the speakers to mastering process as well.

Overall, amazing album, great job!  Beer!

iamoneabe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »

Some points:

Caricature - The "formant vocal growl thingie" is a bit "upfront" in the mix and quite "aggressive" in timbre. The "glitching/chopping" of the string melody doesn't really count as progression in terms of listener interest. The bass sounds good and there's a good groove to the song, kinda wanted to hear more.

Ballroom Blitz - you killed it. No room for critique. Awesome 5/5

Summer's rest - Very nice, could  use more progression

Hit The Deck - The attacky kind of melody you did with the strings sounds very cheesy to my ear, don't know if intended.

I think overall your levels are good, bass could use a little "umph" (compression with slower attack ie.) High ends are a bit bright to my taste on occasion, but that is personal taste and really about the media/device you produced these for. Can't really give too constructive points, very professional and a lot more so then what I dable Wink

mightyacornmusic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:11:04 AM »

Thank you for your feedback guys! Haven't logged in to TIG for a while so it was a nice surprise  Beer!

Definitely could have done a better job with the mixing, I do need to get some speakers already. Another problem I think is that it's far too quiet compared to other albums and I was a bit too restrained when mastering  Tongue.

Pretty much agree with every individual critique good and bad. It was quite an interesting album to put together as I had some very different tracks, so I aimed to make them flow together nicely, even if some of the instrumentation is quite different   Wink

I'd be happy to give you guys some feedback on your work aswell if you'd like. It's all very helpful to get an objective look from someone else  Smiley

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »

I like it!  The use of some recurrent percussion sounds remind you of ones you've heard (places you've been) and solidifies the songs as a grouping.  I especially like "Into the Cosmos".  To me it's the highlight, the turn of the adventure, the one where you're sailing into the great artwork.  I'd like to hear an extended version of that.  The tracks however are a good length for streaming.  Nice work!

mightyacornmusic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »

I like it!  The use of some recurrent percussion sounds remind you of ones you've heard (places you've been) and solidifies the songs as a grouping.  I especially like "Into the Cosmos".  To me it's the highlight, the turn of the adventure, the one where you're sailing into the great artwork.  I'd like to hear an extended version of that.  The tracks however are a good length for streaming.  Nice work!

Thanks for your comment Smiley. Yeah, I definitely think it's important to create a cohesive sound throughout the album. The tracks were made at different times but with a good track listing I think I was able to tell some sort of story. I'm glad you like it. If you do wish do use it for streaming let me know and I'll gift you a copy!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic