Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:44:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFinding Sutherland - a gravity exploration game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding Sutherland - a gravity exploration game  (Read 767 times)
bakajo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »

Sutherland weaves a hand-drawn world into an environment that responds through light and color with orbital mechanics. Explore an ambient world full of unexpected intricate patterns as you affect your immediate surroundings as an orb of light.  Navigate gravitational currents described by naturally flowing trails, with the ability to repel and attract gravity.  This simple game mechanic allows players to explore the movements of orbital mechanics with the ability to correct a path without breaking the flow.

I'm slowly gaining confidence that this is a game people like and would enjoy a longer experience with.  I got some great feedback yesterday on reddit where other developers played and enjoyed the demo.
 https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6uf69c/feedback_friday_251_great_ideas/dlst17f/

Please go ahead and try out the demo and let me know what you think.  It's in webgl, so you can just play it in your browser.  The game is built in unity and runs fine on every platform I've tried (iOS, Android, Windows) https://bakajo.itch.io/sutherland-demo

I also put together a gameplay trailer that I hope conveys some of the ideas in playing.  It's homemade, so don't expect anything fancy.

If you like it or hate it, please let me know.  If you are interested, I could share some of the development processes and how we got this prototype.

I'm the programmer, I've got several years of Software Engineer experience in business systems, but games has always been my secret desire, that I've only recently allowed myself to realize.  My wife did the art, that's why it looks so damn good.  She has an MFA from SUNY-Buffalo.  We also have a composer that wants to do the project to make music that better fits the feel of the game.

We can do some really cool stuff visually in the game, like this tribute to the eclipse that we created this morning. https://twitter.com/StudioBakajo/status/898941530571890688

If you like it, let me know and I'd appreciate anything you're willing to do to help me make noise with the game.  If you don't like it, I'm always happy for ways I can improve it.

[email protected]

press to repel, release to attract
use gravity to collide with gravitational sources
explore gravity through movement and find hidden sources
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:10:54 AM by bakajo » Logged
bakajo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:05:34 AM »

We recently intergrated original music from a composer, Nathalie Bonin

The trailer has been updated, I'd love to know what people think.

I've been working on presentation a lot as well as the tutorial to teach new players.  As far as visuals, I've made some  changes to the camera work with zooming and angling.  I think it feels so much more dynamic.  I've also updated the visual line sensors to use a particle effect instead of a line renderer.

The music feels so much better to me now.  It serves as an audible cue of where gravity sources are located much better than the previous music.

I've updated the demo on itch, it's webgl if you'd like to try it out, I'm always looking for feedback.  Unforntunately, webgl is a little finicky and I wasn't able to implement all of the spatial audio that is present in the pc and mobile builds, but it does the job.  If you're curious enough, send me a PM and I'm happy to send you a native build.

Finding Sutherland WebGL demo

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 04:19:37 AM »

The visuals look really soothing. I'm eager to try out the demo!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
bakajo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »

Thanks!  Please let me know what you think.  I've received feedback from some that it's a relaxing game and others that it's aggravating because the game controls differently than they're used to.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic