Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:20:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerTable TalkWhat board/card/tabletop games are you playing?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What board/card/tabletop games are you playing?  (Read 27477 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »

i bought this thing the other day. it was recommended to me by a bunch of people, plus the pdf is only 8 merican dollas and it's very easy to print your own copy (you just need the rules, a few dice and some graph paper).

i haven't had time to play or even print it yet it yet, but basically this is a throwback to those d&d dungeon crawl hackfests of old, except without all the rules overhead that comes with using "full" rpg system, and playable co-op or solo without a dungeon master. looking forward to trying it solo tomorrow. expecting it to be a good "comfort food" kinda game.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:07:55 AM »

If you had DM's in D&D that only played strictly by the rules you missed half the game, the DM's supposed to pick and choose which rules to enforce to keep the game fun :D

Anyways, for anyone who still doesn't know of it, the basic rules for all D&D based games (the D20 system) is completely free and you can create new games based off it.  You can also use it as a DM if you don't care about the D&D specific handbooks to create a D&D-like campaign to play.  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

To make it even easier these days, https://roll20.net/  tons of built in rulebooks can character sheets, you can pretty much play any major tabletop game in it online with friends completely free, though of course there's the option to buy pre-made campaigns and pre-made monster/spell/etc packs if you don't want to make your own.  It's a fantastic client with a HUGE community, and some of the larger campaign groups stream when they play so it's also led to D&D pretty often being on the first page of games by players on twitch.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »

i don't play d&d anymore and have no interest in playing a game that uses d&d rules
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »

i don't play d&d anymore and have no interest in playing a game that uses d&d rules
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »

So what was the game?

I'm playing:

* Hannabi - Brilliant cooperative deduction game where you spend a team resource to give hints to other players.. and you can't look at your own cards .
* Dominion - classic deck builder, love it.
* Evolution - easier to get into than Dominion. I like that your creatures can eat other people's creatures.
* Small World - not a big fan but been playing it recently.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

i bought arkham horror the card game recently, and played through a practice run to get the mechanics down. it looks like a lot of fun! now i just have to convince someone to play with me

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:17:10 AM »

* Hannabi - Brilliant cooperative deduction game where you spend a team resource to give hints to other players.. and you can't look at your own cards .

Hanabi is one of the rare coop tabletop games that do things right. Most cooperative games have a problem that, technically, you can play them by yourself. You NEED other players and their input for Hanabi.

I currently play Pathfinder every weekend or two, Trail of Cthulhu on most mondays, we have board game parties where we play many different board/card games (Sven, Viktor's illustrator, collects board games and has dozens and dozens of different ones) or we test a board game prototype someone made.

I'm guessing larps don't count in this thread, but this weekend, I'm volunteering as one of assistants in Elder Scrolls larp that will happen in an actual Castle. It will be awesome :D

truewarrior
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »

I took a looooooong break from Magic: The Gathering, but finally back on it in a big way Smiley I think I need to always have a good break, otherwise i'll get tired of it

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll _ Shigeru Miyamoto
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »

I took a looooooong break from Magic: The Gathering, but finally back on it in a big way Smiley I think I need to always have a good break, otherwise i'll get tired of it

What drew you back in / what format?

I shouldn't ask because I am "done with Magic"
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »

Catacombs is my favorite board game ever! It's a dungeon crawler in which you flick wooden discs around.

King of Tokyo
Onitama - a simple kung-fu chess-like
Patchwork - excellent game for my girl and me
Qwirkle
Pass the Pigs
Scotland Yard
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:20:05 PM by woodsmoke » Logged

mpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

Just finished my very first Pokemon deck. This is my first time taking a TCG seriously and I have been having a blast.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »

I got the Fallout board game (the Fantasy Flight one) purely based on theme. Turns out it's actually a really solid and well designed adventure game with streamlined rules and some cool mechanics (factions, branching quests). Cool.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »

I just went undefeated in an Unstable M:TG draft
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »

I get / play a new boardgame about 1 per month (my wife and me agreed that instead of eating out once per month we get a board game). With that said we keep on coming back to Seven Wonders when 4+ people - I think it is truly the best board game ever made for 4-7 people.

What about two people you ask? I'm embarrassed to say but the specially made 2-person 7 Wonders (it is it's own game, very similar but very different) is an amazing 2 person game. I feel like such a shill.

More recently bought Shadows over Camelot which is really only fun if you're drinking and ONLY talk with in game accents.

Down here, it's our time.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »

nah, 7 wonders duel fucken rules.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 04:11:59 AM »

7 wonders duel is better than the big 7 wonders imo. it just needs more card variety (unfortunately the expansion didn't really help there and just changed the game in a way i dont care for).
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

Played Race for the Galaxy yesterday.  It's one of those games where I play it infrequently enough that I need to relearn the rules ever time.  It's also one of those games where the rules are really confusing unless you're learning them while you play, so the first game is mostly trial and error sussing out how you're supposed to play.

But all in all it's a really cool game that has a lot of really interesting design decisions.  Foremost among those is that your primary resource for playing cards are the cards in your hand.  In other words, if you play a card with a cost of 2, you have to discard two cards.  What this means is that in order to play one card, you have to shut yourself off from other possibilities.  It shifts it from "I'll do this now and this later" to "I'll do this now instead of doing that" or "I'll do nothing now so that I can eventually do this other thing."

I also played a game of the Magic The Gathering miniature wargame "Arena of the Planeswalkers," which I found at a dollar store for about $6.  It's an attempt at an entry-level miniature wargame, very similar to Hasbro's previous attempt Heroscape (and, in fact, the game comes with some of the exact same hex-tiles from Heroscape).  Its main improvement over Heroscape is that you don't have to construct an entire hex-landscape each time you want to play, and instead piece together a hex-grid board and put a few tiles down to give it elevation.

It has the inverse situation of Race for the Galaxy, where the rules seem simple and intuitive when you read them, but as soon as you start to play, you realize that there are a lot of ambiguities that make it hard to figure out how to play.  The game is kinda bullshit, feels pretty imbalanced, but is fun for what it is.  If you can find it for ~5.99, I'd say it's worth it, if only because it comes with a bunch of cheap plastic miniatures, some cardboard hex grids, and a d20.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:48 AM »

Played the game Colt Express for the first (and second) time. I like how chaotic it gets. It is an excellent game, but I don't see myself buying it for some reason.

Also played many rounds of King of Tokyo and had a blast as always.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »

Gaia Project aka Terra Mystica IN SPAAAACE.

really good. probably slightly better than its predecessor even, but would not recommend to people who already own terra mystica.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »

Played the game Colt Express for the first (and second) time. I like how chaotic it gets. It is an excellent game, but I don't see myself buying it for some reason.

I have Colt Express, got it for my last birthday. It's genious! The only weird thing is that the mechanic of "programming" your actions doesn't feel too cowboy-like. Other than that, the game is a lot of fun and the art is lovely Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic