Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:59:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopWork in progress 2D scifi Gun n Run
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Work in progress 2D scifi Gun n Run  (Read 3018 times)
intertum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »

Hello, looking for opinions about this (not finished yet, but almost) art for a 2D gun and run game (Contra, Metal Slug):

This is meant to be sort of a research lab/dojo (Batcave, Helicarrier). To put it straight Would you buy a game with such art?

Thanks in advance.

\"2V Hoverbike\"
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »

It's not really bad, but it doesn't look like effective game art to me. I mean you can't tell what's what by looking at it. What's just background? What will you run into? What can you shoot? What's dangerous? The orange and black stripy bits are really high contrast, but they don't seem particularly important. The character is not high contrast and is the same colors as everything else, so he doesn't stand out.

I'm also not a big fan of showing different things from different perspectives in the same scene.  You have some things from a flat side view and some things from a slight angle. I understand you sometimes have to break the rules a bit to make the game work, but it doesn't make a lot of sense in this case. Choose one or the other.

intertum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »

Hey, thank you so much for your feedback!
We've received several opinions and they are similar: "Not that bad, but not good either" so we decided to change the art direction entirely (pixelart maybe).

\"2V Hoverbike\"
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:39:23 AM »

From the art alone, I'd most likely say that the game would be a point-and-click.

Doesn't have the vibe of a run'n gun...

Yeah.
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »

looks like a run and gun game from the macromedia flash era, say, Thing Thing and Thing Thing 2

Devlog<br /><br />[/
intertum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »

Hey thank you!
From the art alone, I'd most likely say that the game would be a point-and-click.

Doesn't have the vibe of a run'n gun...

I didn't see that coming  Shocked

looks like a run and gun game from the macromedia flash era, say, Thing Thing and Thing Thing 2

Gulp yeah mostly Concerned

\"2V Hoverbike\"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic