Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:43:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Bored artist --> free art for your game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bored artist --> free art for your game?  (Read 1929 times)
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2017, 04:19:11 AM »

Hey guys!

I'm an illustrator/concept artist when I'm not making games, and occasionally I get bored and want something to paint. So I was thinking, do any devs on here want to see a random artist's vision of their game?

I was thinking along the lines of a quick Fan art/Splash screen/Mockup/Concept art, since that's what I like to do. (and presumably a couple random game assets by me would not be of much use to anyone.) So, if you want, post a link to your devlog or a representative screenshot or gif of your game and wait to see what I come up with!

To be clear: I am offering absolutely zero guarantees. I may be uninspired by your game and ignore you completely, it's nothing personal, this is just for fun. Also, if you want to actually use any art I make, write a PM and ask me first.

If any other bored artists want to get in on the action, please feel free!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:43:22 AM by -Ross » Logged

Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:06:40 AM »

This is such a nice offer. Too bad I don't have an appropriate game available right now Sad .
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »

I'm not convinced that either of the two games I'm currently involved in will be of interest to you, but it seems criminal not to respond to such a generous offer Smiley I've got other ideas which are more suited to (and need) concept-y art stuff but they're only words on paper and thoughts in brains at this point, so I'll make do with what I've got!

Monster Husbandry -> 2D monster breeding/management
ERR?R C?DE -> 3D/2.5D co-op multiplayer spaceship-fixing

Hope you find something in this thread to quench your boredom! Cheers.

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »

Cheers guys! Eh, not too generous. I see it as a random topic generator for me, and who knows if what I do will be useful to anyone. Whistlerat, these are great. I started a doodle for each one, I'll post here when I'm done with them.

QuaziGNRLnose
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »

Cool! I'd love to see your take on our game TowerClimb since it leaves a lot open to artistic interpretation. (the small pixel scales means not much detail can be packed in, so it's always fun to see what people do with it when they make art)

it's a roguelite platformer about climbing a really really tall tower with magic/wizards, where no one who enters ever seems to return.

Here's the steam page with some screenshots:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/396640/TowerClimb/

and this video goes through the whole game in a speedrun if you want to skim and see various things in it:
https://youtu.be/yM0CU9YHlxw?t=1445

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »

Free stuff! paint me like one of those french ladies. Eh I forgot what the exact like was but you get the joke.

Seriously though, I did free work in this fashion before but I wasn't this good.

If you're still feeling magnanimous you can click the devlog on my signature for cartoony game. That doesn't seem like the sort of thing you do so I also have a recent project I started that's much darker. No devlogs or anything like that yet. Just an animated character, mockup images and the dumbest plotline ever. Here's a few of the images I mentioned. It's a "medieval-like" setting with hints of it actually being a post apocalyptic scenario, and the main character is after revenge. There might be monsters. I know it sounds like I'm making this stuff as I go (it's-- it's two brothers! now with lasers!) but I have plans for it!

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »

@whistlerat - OK, here's what I did. There are still some bits that are totally bogus, but hey. I really like the fancy wooden sci-fi door idea, though I didn't really get into it with this.

And I barely started a little thing for Monster Husbandry, maybe an idea for a splash/title screen based on your maps and some creature variations. But I wasn't too sure about it, and you already have a pretty nice, consistent art style with that, so I couldn't decide which way to go with my thing. I may take another whack at it later . . .

@ QuaziGNRLnos & diegzumillo - Cool cool, thanks guys. I will take a look at this stuff more and probably start something new tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions at different stages. I'm still definitely trying to figure out what I'm doing with this offer, hah, it's kind of a weird thing. I'd like to do something useful but don't want to push my ideas on other people or make them feel obligated somehow.

Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:46:54 AM »

Wow! I particularly love the lighting in the first work. How much time does it take you to create something like that?
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

Holy crap. Those are so great, thank you so much! The atmosphere is just phenomenal... and of COURSE he should be carrying a toolkit... I showed Bo and we both agreed that he has to bring the round doors back Tongue

I love MH's too - totally the sort of thing I could see being a title or splash screen. Simple and bold shapes are definitely in-keeping with the style I've chosen for it! Please do let me know if you happen to do any iterations on it, I would LOVE to see them. Hell, if you're interested in making more, I'd be keen to know your rates...

Would it be okay to use these images in the devlogs? With full attribution Smiley And if we want to use them in the respective games I'll be sure to double-check permission with you there too.

Thanks again!

Faceplanting Loaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »

That is phenomenal! I really did like those round doors I had so I guess they do need to come back, especially now I've seen them in a setting like this! Such inspiring work, thank you!
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21:43 AM »

@Woseseltops - Thanks! It took a couple hours or so. A bunch of the time is spent figuring out design; if you know exactly what you're doing you can paint really fast.

@whistlerat & Bostvic - Cheers guys! Glad you like them. Sure, feel free to share them in your devlog.

@diegzumillo - I did a quick little doodle based on your new project. I was imagining some sort of elven tree-architecture/organic sci-fi stuff.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »

Me, while reading your post then seeing the image "But the game has no elvish elemen- THE ELVES ARE IMPORTANT TO THE STORY".

Seriously, I love it! If I had a budget you'd have a job.

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »

Haha. Well it doesn't have to be elvish. It's just one design idea. I was trying to think of something that people would assume was medieval fantasy but turned out to be sci-fi (I realize now you didn't say 'fantasy'). So the idea was to mix this sort of typical elvish stuff with some kind of futuristic latticework building style. Plus a bit of Rain World-ish post-apocalyptic overgrown rustiness maybe? Haha. But anyway, ideas are cheap.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

Yeah, it is a pretty cool idea! In fact it ties nicely to other parts of the plot. There are some immortal 'humans' roaming around in this world that are in fact androids that managed to stay alive/functioning after the end of society, and they might as well resemble elves. I didn't plan for this 'wink' at medieval fantasy setting but it is interesting. I mean, I hope I can have the idea! :D

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »

I hope I can have the idea!
Yeah, of course. I'm not one of those people who thinks their ideas are worth money . . . It's all yours if it fits your game. If it helps, you can imagine I agreed to collaborate on your whole game but ditched you and stopped communicating after doing one piece of art, haha.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »

This is so great. <3 You're super talented, and it's really nice of you to do this! Checked out your tweets too. Bunch of WIP games, old and new! Do you program too? c:

I guess if you want to make a fancier version of my own crude concept art, that would be fun to see. And if you want to elaborate on the character instead of the silhouette I drew, they look something like this (that's a gas mask).

But only if you feel inspired and would like to! I don't really have anything to give back in return—very busy with my own stuff. Tongue I suppose if you ever need some tips on shaders I might be able to help! Unless you're already good with those too~
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:53:07 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »

@diegzumillo - I finally got around to finishing up the little thing I did based on Apple & Worm. Nothing fancy, you mentioned an ice world in your devlog, so I did a little game view concept of that. The skis probably wouldn't work in-game though.

@Prinsessa - Thanks! Heh, not talent, just years of study. Yeah, I've picked up programming a bit in the last couple years. Nothing advanced, but enough to make the little games that I like. Thanks for the subject matter, I'll see what I can do. Don't worry about giving anything back, I'm just doing this for fun.

QuaziGNRLnose
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »

Whoa these are awesome! I really like the apple painting and the snow splash Tongue
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »

That is gorgeous! A very realistic apple too lol Thanks for making it. It makes me want to continue working on it (it's been kind of dead for a while)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 07:13:02 AM »

omg ski apple <3

Thanks for the subject matter, I'll see what I can do. Don't worry about giving anything back, I'm just doing this for fun.
Alright, hope you enjoy then! Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic