Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:55:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Moonkeeper (Final)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Moonkeeper (Final)  (Read 12247 times)
redcords
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »

Here's a shot of the crash in case it helps any, might just be a problem on my system.

Also the game continues to play fine behind the crash windows.
spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »

I can run the app fine but when I start a game the screen goes black.  I can hear reactions to jumping and shooting.  2gig ram 8800gts.  Derek had some similar problems with Spelunky.  I think it has something to do with how you load sprites into memory.
pgil
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »

That error message isn't much help, unfortunately Huh?
I'll check the Game Maker forums later and see if I can find any info.
evktalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »

Played this a bit. I definitely appreciate the style. I'm reminded of Captain Comic (which I haven't played, only seen) and Commander Keen (which I've played, a lot). I also appreciate it will be short.. I like this kind of a game and welcome them in all sizes! It's nice knowing it's not going to take a huge "investment" to play through the whole game.

The screen wobble, while a cool effect, feels a bit nasty for my eyes. I often get motion sickness from 3D games with a low/unstable frame rate, and it's the same kind of discomfort. Any hopes for it to be toggleable?

--Eino
evktalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »

I played the game through, it was a good experience. What I said about size held, it was a nice bite-size game. Yeah, the boot thing was funny, too bad I was a bit spoiled by reading this thread. Smiley

I had a bit of "where to go" confusion in the end. I had taken care of all the underground alien pods. I checked objectives with space, which showed two pods. I then went to the tunnel that goes to the final boss - there was one "vine" or wall blocking my way. I then went to take care of the pod that's above ground, and then started looking around where that final pod would be. After I couldn't find one anywhere, I checked the tunnel and could go through. I'm guessing the last boss counts as a pod in the space screen, and there's a wall-vine for each earlier pod in the tunnel. Anyway, I wandered around a bit, not knowing I could proceed.

--Eino
pgil
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »

Yeah, I could probably make that more clear. Maybe I'll add a message or animation when the last part opens.

Also, I'll add a key to toggle the screen flickering/shaking.

(ugh.. this thread is full of spoilers. I should add a warning at the top.)
pgil
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

New beta. I think this will be the final version, unless I figure out those crashes that a couple of people were having.

Added a few hints in the game, and let you toggle the screen shaking/flickering with F5.

http://willhostforfood.com/dl.php?fileid=67736
undertech
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »

Wow I love the visuals, sound, controls. It all feels very nostalgic. The game this reminds me of the most is Pharoah's Tomb. (Funny isn't it)
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »

AWESOME!! I Love the sound, graphics and DEFFINATELY the frame!! KissHand Metal Left

Totally the right feel Cave Story

That's why it's almost making me cry that I can't play it for more than 20-30 seconds before the game crashes!! Crazy
Does anyone else get this problem??
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »

This is a very nice game. It makes me think of Apogee, Captain Comic (have you played that game? I'd be surprised if you hadn't) and old science fiction movies, which are good things.

I think that the graphics are wonderful, especially the film projector effects, and I like that it is mostly serious and melodramatic but that it sort of mocks sci-fi and video game conventions. it could be a little more subtle about that, though. My other criticism is that it banks a little too heavily on the player's mastery of an honestly slightly frustrating jumping system, and that it is pretty unforgiving at times (making the player trudge through multiple rooms just to get back to the part on which they keep dying; this was mainly a frustration on the room with the lava, the first crab generator and the switch in the bottom left of the screen, if you could possibly know what I mean by that). The fact that I finished it, though, is I guess a sign that it's compelling enough to make up for the frustration.

I got a small bug, also. Sometimes when I would jump and just barely land on the edge of a moving platform, he would get stuck in "jump mode". This did not kill the experience or anything, but you may want to fix it if possible. Also, is the ending screen supposed to just stay there forever? I think something should happen to let the player know that the game is truly over and done with and they don't need to stick around waiting.

But don't think all this criticism means I didn't like it, because I liked it very much. But raving about that is less helpful to the creator, I find.

Oh, I also should mention that I loved the sound, especially the music in the opening and ending sequences. That killed me. It sounds very much like a PC speaker, and I like that.

pgil
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »

New version with some bug fixes and a few final touches. See first post.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic