Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:34:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDo you know any 2D platformer with original battle system?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do you know any 2D platformer with original battle system?  (Read 1811 times)
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2017, 03:53:53 AM »

Hi,
Does someone knows a 2D platformer with original challenging battle system ?
By original, I mean something more advanced than pressing a single button to hit the enemy. Probably blocking attack but even more.
An example could be a 2D platformer with Dark Souls-like combat.
Any original battle system could also fit.
I almost forgot to mention that I'd prefer a melee combat system  Wink
Thanks in advance if someone finds an example of this.  Well, hello there!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:46:48 AM by bombjack » Logged

Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:42:09 AM »

What about Super Smash Bros?
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »

I was thinking of a kind of metroidvania more than a fighting game(one could argue about Smash bros being a fighting game or not)
I'll still have a look at it to see if I can get inspiration from there. thanks.

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »

Silhouette Mirage has a pretty original battle system. You play as Shyna, a character that's half "Silhouette", half "Mirage".

This means that when you're walking to the left you're "Silhouette" and when you're walking to the right you're "Mirage" ( or vice versa ). All enemies are either "Silhouette" or "Mirage". You can only damage enemies from the opposite type .. but when you attack enemies from the same type you steal "spirit power".

Aside from 7 upgradable weapons you can jump, crouch, dash, slide, reflect, grab, throw and more. You can check a good portion of the available moves in the tutorial.
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »

Just came back from looking the proposed games.
Smash bro has some interesting mecanics very common in fighting games. I'll probably take some inspiration from it.
The Silhouette Mirage has a very original gameplay mechanic. It reminds me of Ikaruga.
This could be very interesting but too specific for what I'm looking for. Maybe in some boss fight.

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »

Silhouette Mirage has a very original gameplay mechanic. It reminds me of Ikaruga.

Silhouette Mirage ( 1997 ) was made by the same developer as Ikaruga ( 2001 ) Wink
Njotrvella
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:18:57 AM »

Just a thought: since you're looking for an advanced melee combat, any example will naturally gravitate towards a fighting game. Simply because it emphasizes mechanics that are key parts of such genre. I mean, it may also worth to look for "fighting games with 2D platformer elements", not only vice versa.

So, you're looking for an inspiration for your own game, right? Out of curiosity, could you tell a bit more about it?

Oh, and I'm not a fan of neither fightings nor platformers at all, but as I recall, Nidhogg had quite an amusing fencing.

solid_snake17
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:44:21 AM »

An example could be a 2D platformer with Dark Souls-like combat.

You can check up Hollow Knight but the combat system is rather simple
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:59 AM »

Salt and Sanctuary is basically "2D Dark Souls". (to the point of borderline lawsuit territory imo.) You can have a shield, light and strong attacks, dodge roll, etc. I never played it much, mostly due to the horrendous, hideous art, but it's definitely a bit different than a typical platformer.

A lot of combat-oriented platformers give the player a variety of movement abilites to make things more interesting, rather than more complicated attacks. So instead of just moving left and right on platforms and jumping sometimes, you get wall jumping, double jumping, air dashing, strong attack recoil, etc.

bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »

I'm doing research for a random generated exploration platformer I'm working on.
Most of the ones I know are treating combat as simple obstacles; not very different in concept from jumping over a cliff.
You just kill a mob instead of jumping.
I wanted to investigate the aspect of more memorable combats.
Not especially more difficult but differently challenging.
Thanks again for your ideas Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »

I was thinking of a kind of metroidvania more than a fighting game(one could argue about Smash bros being a fighting game or not)
I'll still have a look at it to see if I can get inspiration from there. thanks.

abyss odyssey is a platformer with smash bruvvaz like combat
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »

abyss odyssey is a platformer with smash bruvvaz like combat

wowww! it has such an amazing set of moves, attacks and blocks. It also looks very intuitive.
I already saw video of this game but I never thought it could have this deep combat system. thanks!

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »

Cave Story's run-and-gun gameplay style isn't revolutionary on its own, but the weapon upgrade system is really interesting and puts a lot more at stake in moment-to-moment combat than just the threat of death. Enemies drops "XP chips" that you can collect, and each increases the power of whatever gun you're using (the level of each gun usually maxes out at three though, so any more chips collected won't add on to the XP bar). The flip side of that is that taking damage makes you lose XP, which can consequently make your weapons less effective.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic