Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:29:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFree beta/testing Steam keys for my Rubik's Cube inspired puzzle game, Hexlide
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Free beta/testing Steam keys for my Rubik's Cube inspired puzzle game, Hexlide  (Read 2112 times)
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

Does it happen when you're full-screen or in Window mode as well? What resolution, Windows version and architecture are you running? Would you be able to run the game from command line and see if you get any error messages printed?

Sorry for the late response, eligt, crazy week. I'm not in a place where I can try again right now, but these are the things I remember:
* Windows 7, 64 bit
* Only tried full screen

Hope it helps, but if it doesn't I wouldn't worry too much about it because I don't expect other players too use all these crazy shortcuts like I do Smiley.

> Unfortunately I use Linux as my main system and I make the Windows build on a Windows VM which is not cooperating very well.

Linux user here too (typing this on Ubuntu); I use a seperate Windows machine for development for exactly this reason Sad .
eligt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »

@Quicksand-S You know I wrote a big message last night on how I completely understand your reservations and that I'd love to address them but that basically I just want the game out and I'm at the point where I'm sick of it (sad to admit but it's true).

But then I hired some beta testers to do some more final QA and they ended up making even more valid points (in addition to finding bugs) and now I don't want to release without having made some more changes. Strangely enough, none of them remarked on the game objective, probably because they only tested the version with the "Matched: x / x" tweak.

In any case, I'd like to address your concerns as well with my new changes. What would you think of having an overlay on top of matched cells, something like this https://goo.gl/3DXDvh
That would mean not having to regenerate textures and maintain the overall design without breaking it (hopefully).

@Woseseltops No worries! Yes at the moment I'm just ignoring the issue due to probably not being too common, hopefully no angry gamer will run into it Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:56:08 PM by eligt » Logged

Hexlide, a Rubik's Cube inspired casual puzzle game with a beautiful, relaxing soundtrack!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 11:44:32 PM »

I like it. I'm not sure you can get any clearer than that. Seems pretty obvious now, while still avoiding messing up the clean look of the graphics.

My only weird little gripe, which is probably just me being overly picky at this point, is the width of the lines that make up that symbol/icon. Every other icon and line in the UI is thicker, with only text being thin like that. It feels like it doesn't match. As I said, I'm being overly picky but it looked off so I thought I might as well mention it. Feel free to completely ignore me, of course.

Anyway, I think it's a good addition. Very clear. Nice work.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Urii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 12:15:03 AM »

I would be happy to obtain a beta key for your game, I will give it a test and leave some feedback, thanks!
eligt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »

Hey guys, I've finally completed and pushed what I think will be the last update before release, apart from a few extra strings that need to be translated. Release is now scheduled for the 29th of September (due to me going on holiday next week). If you want to try it, I'd appreciate.

@Quicksand-S I ended up not placing icons on the matched cells, because I had feedback where some people thought the cells would be "locked" once the little icon appeared, i.e. you should not move them anymore. Ultimately I think the "Matched: x / x" + trailer is gonna be enough to inform players of the end goal, hopefully.

@Urii I did send you your key if you want to try it

Hexlide, a Rubik's Cube inspired casual puzzle game with a beautiful, relaxing soundtrack!
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 04:37:24 PM »

Hi eligt - this is exactly the type of game that I play. Bravo! I'm very happy to give feedback, if it's not too late.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:48:41 AM by Robson » Logged

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
eligt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

@Robson Just sent you a key. It's never too late for feedback, although no changes will be made at this point until release, unless it's bugfixing. I hope you like the game anyway Smiley

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

Thank you eligt. I've played about 90 minutes of the game and I am very impressed. The design is consistent, the puzzle type is easy to understand, the minimal interface works well and I didn't encounter any bugs.

Some small suggestions:
  • The messages when opening a level can sometimes stay around for too long or not enough. The most notable example being the first level, where the message disappeared before I had finished reading it. I would make these messages appear when the user loads the level and only be removed by the user dismissing them. I wouldn't show the message when using the restart button.
  • On some levels (3, 9, etc) the top-left level text appears behind the puzzle. Might be worth making the text smaller to avoid this.
  • I'm not sure why the scores are so high. Would it be better to use the number of moves as the score? This would make it easily understandable and comparable.
  • I think the first level is too large for a first level. I'd have a super-simple level to help the user understand how the mechanics work.
  • Would be nice if the "Levels 1-6" (etc) hexagons had a tick when all the levels in that set were solved.
  • The "MESSAGE" text from the "Restart Level" button seems unnecessary.
  • Unlimited undo? I see no reason to restrict it to just once.
  • The coloured backgrounds on the hexagons get joined when two are adjacent. Would it be worth having a slight gap, to ensure the user doesn't think there is a relationship between the hexagons?

My only disappointment was that no new mechanics were introduced. I would have loved to have seen the puzzles get more complex. For example:
  • 3+ colours
  • Tiles that only move in one direction
  • Tiles that don't move

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
eligt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »

@Robson Thanks so much for the feedback. The reason the scores are so high is basically due to what you mention among the suggestions: initially I wanted to implement a few more mechanics into the game, one of which was having optional "Bonus" tiles that would give extra points if matched. You can hopefully now see why I calculate a score instead of using Moves used.

What are you referring to when you say the "MESSAGE"? are you talking about the message that appears when the level is restarted? Isn't that the same as your first point in the suggestions, or is this something else?

KirbyKid
Level 0

How do you game?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

If there are still keys flying around, I'll put some time into this.

I consult on, create, critique, and review indie games. How can I help you?
eligt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »

@KirbyKid sure, just sent you a key

KirbyKid
Level 0

How do you game?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »

Sorry for the even later response.

I didn't see that you sent me a code. I'm still not used to TIG's set up.

I played the game a week or so ago.

All the menus, graphics, sound/music is nice.

I agree with Robson's feedback.

I would add that the basic input should be a click and drag. Double clicking to make a single move is annoying. You're simulating something like a Rubik's cube or a slide panel puzzle. Clicking and dragging better approximates how those games work in an intuitive way.

Make the goal spots easier to see. And when a color lands on the right spot, there should be some feedback (visual and aural). The whole point of the game is lining up these abstract dots. Put some juice behind it.

I consult on, create, critique, and review indie games. How can I help you?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic