Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:03:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel moose - Looking to improve on pixel art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel moose - Looking to improve on pixel art  (Read 7053 times)
Koicrow
Level 0

Cryptic Corvid

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »

Been tossing ideas around on what type of game I wanted to create and recently decided on making a pixelated side scroller. I have never done pixel art before and thought now would be a good time to learn. In all honesty, I find it fun making little pixel doodles, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

So here's the lil protagonist of the game.

If a scene is needed to properly critique the style, then by all means let me know and I'll make something.

For now, I just want critiques on what I have up there - if it's a good style, if there's anything wrong and how to fix it, etc. I would appreciate it a lot if anyone out there can point me in the right direction!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:44:26 PM by Panzram » Logged
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:40:01 AM »

I see that this post is 3 months old and I'm not sure if you still want/need this feedback but here it goes. Cool

First of all, this is a good start, you definitely have talent and probably experience drawing from what I can see.
Ok, let's begin:

One thing you should consider, as you plan on making this character for a game, is the size of the sprite and how many animations you will make. As a begginner, it's usually pretty hard to start with a big sprite like that. I'd recommend you tried smaller sizes (such as 64x64, 32x32, 16x16).

BUT

If you still want to continue with this particular one, the first tip that I can give you is to decide a light source direction. When you do that, you should cast all shadows from it. As it is right now, there are some inconsistencies: the top-left seems to be the source but there are spots from the right on the arms and the hair that are getting some highlights. The neck part should also be darker on the right.

I hope that makes sense. In 3 months you could probably have already improved a lot so I won't get too in-depth.

Good luck!  Smiley
Koicrow
Level 0

Cryptic Corvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »

That is super helpful, thank you! I've been a bit busy with schoolwork for the past few months so I have yet to practice more with pixel art and whatnot. I'm still very new to it so I really do appreciate your feedback and tips! I'll definitely take all of this into consideration for next time, so thank you again!
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »

Happy to help  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic