Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:56:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAurora - A Space combat game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Aurora - A Space combat game  (Read 3009 times)
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »

Introduction

Aurora is a space dog fighting game, where the player fights legions of fighter craft as well as assaulting massive ships and space stations.

The player takes part in a military campaign against the Cheult(A hostile alien race), you are called to action when the Cheult begin to colonize a planet within the zone of influence of the Federation of Dominion Planets(The players faction).

Gameplay

The game takes many cues the 2003 PC game Freelancer, the player uses the mouse to steer their ship and aim, WASD and QE to strafe and control acceleration.

The player can choose from light,heavy fighters or bombers each class having different stats and weapon hard points, as well as choosing each weapon for the hard point.

The campaign will use a freespace2 style linear campaign with each mission taking place in a unique setting with unique objectives, the mission are chosen from a galaxy map screen, as the game progresses the map will evolve to show who is in control of the systems.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:15:59 PM by Omer_Lahire » Logged
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »

Ships

Federation ships the first row being the flyable fighters/bomber the second being capitol ships.
From left: Aurora light fighter, Archon heavy fighter and kite bomber with the carrier and battleship at the rear.

Cruisers

Cruisers are large, slow and heavily armored ships designed to destroy capitol ships. Cruisers are armed with heavy forward guns that do massive damage, especially to capitol ships, for fighter defense they have multiple light turrets.

Capitol Ships

Capitol ships will be armed with heavy turrets and missile launchers aswell as being so heavily armored that only Cruiser heavy guns, torpedoes and other capital ship turrets can harm them. 

Ship size comparison
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »

This moon will feature in the early stages of the game, the player will take part in missions to take over the moon, from then on it will be used as a staging base and ship factory for later parts of the game.

This Planet is the Cheult home world, it has been left almost deserted after a planetary tragedy, most of it's inhabitants leaving for Cheult colonial worlds and stations.
The planet will feature in the mid games when the displaced Cheult living on the moon are sent offworld.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:04:48 PM by Omer_Lahire » Logged
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »

The Hanger

The hangar is where the player chooses their ship and weapons.
At this point you can choose a ship and the manager will make a list of the ships weapon hardpoints(represented by green squares).
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »

Cheult Ships.

These are the ships you will be fighting in the early game.

Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »

Finally attached turrets to a ship.

they work well but unfortunately the gun barrels rotate on the z axis when they shouldn't.
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »

Start of a massive station.

This base will be fought later in the game, it belongs to a faction i have not yet named.
The player will have to destroy turrets and defend battleships as they attack the base.

Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

Working on a New more minamalist UI

Old UI

New UI

Any feedback on which I should use and how to improve them would be greatly appreciated.
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:52:43 PM »

Beautifying the universe

Added skybox detail to the area.
Really happy with the way it looks.
The colors of the elements correspond to the colors of the areas of the galaxy map.

I made it using flattened hemispheres that face the center of the scene with additive particle materials for the images.

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »

Working on a New more minamalist UI

Old UI

New UI

Any feedback on which I should use and how to improve them would be greatly appreciated.

New UI/HUD is a huge improvement. Smiley
Just an initial thought is it might be worth having the enemy and friendly indicator arrows as outlined rather than colour filled. To match the UI... then again it may be harder to see them.

filbs111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »

some nice models in this. I particularly like the "underside" shot of what looks like space station with rockets docked.
i realise this is pedantic, but some star textures have "+" lens flare style artifacts. really, if at all, they should be applied in the frame of the camera.
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, I didn't notice that.
I will edit the images and add lights with flares over the problem areas.
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »

Removed static lens flare from background and added lens flares unfortunately they are only visible when the camera is on them at certain angles when I would prefer the flare to always be visible.

Added trails to ships later I will make them fade if the ship is moving slowly.
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more comments. It looks damn pretty too me and I don't usually even like space games.
Keep goin'!
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Grin
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:27 PM »

Added hangar functionality can now choose the ship and the weapons that they will be spawned with on launch.
Unfortunately the tool tip/ selected information elements are pretty buggy.

Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »

Been working on particle effects and the hanger scene

Firing effects

Weapons control the refire rate, projectile speed and energy drain of the weapon.

Projectiles

Each bullet has its own hull, shield, subsystem and capital ship damage values as well as a range traveled before destroyed values.

Lasers in-game

Plasma in-Game
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »

Working on a nebula filled system.
I made this by making a particle system in the background and using Unity's built in linear fog.

Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »

Unity's updated particle system ruined my bullets Lips Sealed

The rotation is completely whack.
Omer_Lahire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »

Fixed bullet rotation.
I had to set the particle emitters scale from 0 to 0.01  Undecided