Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:39:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)[Feedback] wanted for Video Game 'Box Art'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Feedback] wanted for Video Game 'Box Art'  (Read 1727 times)
DapperDave
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »

Edit:

Thanks for all the feedback. Here is an updated version based on feedback here and other places I posted this.

https://pasteboard.co/GJN5PSH.png

* First thing you'll notice the word "Bououououououous" at the top. That's the title cut up to give you a sense of where it would go and what it would look like. The game is not actually called "Bououououous" and the letters won't look like they've been cut up.
* I cropped the scene to focus on the characters
* I added darker lines for the interior of the characters and even thicker lines outlining the characters
* Changed background to use rock images rather than the fuzzy horizon
* Changed lighting to be brighter and more red than blue. Changed the pattern where the lighting falls off
* Recolored trees in background to be more blue than green
* Took out larger stars

Old:
This is 'box art' that will be used for an upcoming video game (not physically on a box, but on the digital marketing stuff). I have little experience with digital art, so I'm happy it turned out as well as it did. I'm looking for feedback to touch it up, rather than fundamental changes here. I have things saved in layers so I can move and adjust some things a bit.

https://pasteboard.co/GIFPwHw.png

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:19:33 PM by DapperDave » Logged
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:53 PM »

The lighting in the scene is a big feature and I like what you've done with it. Your shadows are maybe a bit off, though, so it might be worth tweaking some of them a bit. In particular, it's worth thinking about how the shape of an object affects the shape of shadows falling across it. For example, the woman with the pink necklace has a shadow across part of her face. This shadow passes across her forehead, eyebrow, eye socket and cheekbone as a straight line on the picture. This looks odd to the reader, because we know what contours those facial features should have and the light wouldn't look that way.

A half-shadowed face would look more like: this. Of course you don't need to be anything like that precise with a cartoon style, but having roughly the right shadow patterns helps things to look convincing.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:46 PM »

The grass in the background would probably be lit by the sky and as such its color identity would likely be blue rather than green. As fire is yellow (red+green) it would reflect the green wavelengths of grass, but everything out of the range of the fire's light would be monochrome with a blue tint (I'm pretty sure)

Nice atmosphere in the picture, though
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »

its super complex scene for a first-timer. i would expand or move it to the right to show more sky instead of rocks, right rock formation brings a lot attention to itself.
maybe draw a face for central dude and dog, this is supposed to be introduction for these character for many people and standing spine to the camera is a big no-no in public performance.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:59:56 AM »

i think that the main problem of this "box art" is that there's too much detail everywhere and it's hard to read what is important and what isnt. It's imo important to guide the viewer's eye.
The dog is like the last thing i've noticed in the drawing.

interesting article to read: http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/direct-the-eye/

DapperDave
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »

Edited the original post with a new version of the image.
iamoneabe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »

In regards to the already given feedback, I think - as previously pointed, in cartoon style you can get away with minor details like grass being hit by the light of the sky, but defining details like the half lit face should be more accurate. Also, the amount of detail is big, but I find the picture engaging and fun to scan for details. The only thing, that hit my eye was the straight jawline of the girl sitting under the rock, but again - you can get away with a lot in cartoon style.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic