Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:38:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGame Blocks Kickstarter (PC, Mac & Linux)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Blocks Kickstarter (PC, Mac & Linux)  (Read 615 times)
Giant_Gamer
Level 0

My 2nd language is SmileBASIC

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:15:23 AM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044867988/game-blocks?ref=category_location

Game Blocks is a game construction set for all ages, it's primary feature is allowing you to create and compile a series of levels into a game. Currently the plan is to launch the alpha to backers only, with an early access release for beta. We are in the process of getting on STEAM.

The Prototype (PC Windows) is limited to single screen levels, and only a few block types with no customization besides level layouts. The music included is NOT final for the game, and is only a temporary place holder. Be aware this is not polished to perfection, and there is a chance to encounter bugs. Very much a work in progress.
Download the latest FREE demo/prototype version here:
https://madtinkerer.itch.io/game-blocks

Thank you for your time.
Mark Mather, artist
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:20:47 AM by Giant_Gamer » Logged

I am the artist for my brother's upcoming game, our development blog is at Game-Blocks.com
Giant_Gamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »

UPDATE:
Download the latest version, link ^ in post above.

The prototype now has costimizable background colors and color blocks.

Previously updated 4 days ago was the Non Linear Level update, to allow for self looping level design.

Also announcing a new trailer for Game Blocks that will include all the new things and even expand a little on our plan for the game. Look for this update this weekend.

Coming soon to the paid Game Blocks alpha
 Hand Metal Left STEAM Hand Metal Right (as part of the money for the Kickstarter will go towards incorporation, to get on STEAM.)
 Smiley 4-player co-op
 Grin Slopes, with multi-directinal gravity sliding
 Tongue 2 player Creative co-op (make and play with a friend at the same time!)
 Wizard A new Game mode, with fully cross compatible block set! About Bubble casting Wizards.
 Ninja new player character select screen, with different abilities and powers.
 Durr...? And much, much more
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:32:54 AM by Giant_Gamer » Logged

I am the artist for my brother's upcoming game, our development blog is at Game-Blocks.com
Giant_Gamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

There are some who have asked if we can really make a decent game, I hope to answer that question by showing you just how much work has been done so far. Since the Kick Starter Launched on Monday September 4th we have added to the FREE prototype:

+Bouncing blocks: a non solid block that will make the player jump if touched on the side that gravity is pushing towards, and can be moved through like air if passed through from the left or right, or from below. Holding the jump button when in contact the the bouncing block will allow the payer to make a higher jump.
What this adds to the game: This lets the level designer not only make larger gaps, and taller cliffs to add into the level, but in combination with the gravity changer allows for a one way door type effect.

+Locked Doors & Key item: This combo item is a door that can not be passed trough unless the key has been collected. Currently there is only one key type, and will work with any locked door. However because of this, the key item is persistent and is held until it is used and can be located on a level that is different from the level that has the Locked Door.
What this adds to the game: This allows for levels where you have to journey to the key and then travel back to the start area. Additionally a Locked door can be placed in a level before a player has seen a key, and this would allow for several levels to be made on the way to collect the key and then back track to the Locked Door.

+Spectrum Blocks: Just different colored blocks make a lot of difference. Soon to be changed into custom color blocks, but that is still a future update or two away.
What this adds to the game: At first it is not much, but once you figure out that you can combine this solid colored blocks and tuning the background color to match it, you can place invisible blocks! Also Pixel sprites can be placed in the levels.

+Creative Co-op: While not fully functioning, as there is a known serious crash bug*, Creative Co-op is a 2 player mode (potentially a 5 player game!) when one player controls the mouse. Currently this is always on by default. The person who controls the mouse should probably be the one who makes the levels, as currently it is anything goes for what they can move with the mouse.
What this adds to the Game: Unplayable levels, can now be completed if played this way. Alternatively you could take a simple and easy level and make it harder, if you happen to play with a psychotic younger brother. Either way, this mode would allow EVERY level made to be playable in some manner.

+World Editor: Non linear levels! you can now place multiple doors in a single level, and with the NUM tool in the upper left can assign numbers to the doors to point them to the desired level. (the level must currently have been added on the world menu to point a door to it. The World Editor also has the previously spoiled background color editor, currently it can only change the color of the background... however there are single frame background images and in a few months parallax background images coming (shortly after scrolling levels are a thing.)
What this adds to the game: I think most people will understand that THIS single feature allows for a vast amount of design variety. Levels can loop back in on themselves, and now can be designed with bonus stages filled with goodies, or you could make a warp zone of sorts to skip past levels to quickly get back to an area in a larger game of many, many levels. (current max levels is 100!)
NOTE: Currently all coins, gems, monsters, power ups and keys will be replaced in a level if you loop back to it. This might not always be the case in the future.
NOTE2: Keys and Boots (Jump plus) will be kept from level to level, even if they are not added or shown when you play-test a level from the level editor.

+4 Player Co-op (and competitive): 4 players can be played separately on one level. Currently only the 1st player's Hearts are displayed, and again only the first player's score is displayed on the screen.
What this adds to the game: More Fun!

Embarrassed Soo... we are one week away from the deadline for the Kickstarter, but only just past 11% funded. All I ask is that if you think this list of additions over the last two weeks is impressive, that you share the Kickstarter with people who might be interested in supporting our project. We will be adding a new Trailer directly to the kickstarter sometime later today.

Did I mention that with a little work this can make for a fun Halloween game?

And other holidays.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic