Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:35:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeSummer Camp - Corrupting Children
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Summer Camp - Corrupting Children  (Read 2043 times)
Tenderfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »

Hey guys,

For the past few years I've taken a job as an instructor at a nationally recognized science and technology camp. The camp is very computer oriented, and very popular. Last year I worked with Grades 3&4, and made a little flash maze game with them.

This year I've been bumped up an age group (to grade 5&6), and one of the things all of the kids love is to make games. I figure since these kids are more capable I can teach them some pretty intense gamedev stuff.

My idea was that I was going to create a library that allows campers to create objects (in OpenGL [2d, though]) with a simple function [ whatever = newObject(GLuint image, float x, float y, float width, float height);], and then the kids would be able to manipulate the position and size of these objects using code I teach them, ultimately allowing them to make their own games.

What do you think? Do you have any ideas on how I could expand on this? Is there any other cool science / tech projects you think the kids would love?
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »

Why not use an existing library, like Scratch or Processing? I guess using your own would keep things simpler.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »

Hey,

I work for a similar organization in France, with kids between grades 5 to 7 on one hand, and 8 to 12 on the other hand.

Game Maker is always a great introductory tool. RPG Maker is pretty cool for the younger ones; however, Python and PyGame remain my tool of choice for the brighter ones who want more of a challenge. I'd really recommend those.

However, I wouldn't want to delve in 3D with the kids- even though explaining to those who want to know more is always awesome, the itme is just not enough.

Could you (by private message if you want) tell me about the organization you work for and what kind of you work you do? I'll probably be moving to the US in a year (for MSc. + PhD.), and I'd like to continue working with geek kids Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic