Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:11:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)"A Bigger Mathematical Picture for Computer Graphics"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "A Bigger Mathematical Picture for Computer Graphics"  (Read 3199 times)
enkimute
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »

Pretty much what I meant to say was that gamer's don't need more realistic games, just better quality games, so this algebraic equation isn't really needed that much for modern and future games.

That's exactly why you need to pay attention in math class. Once you do, you will be able to see the immense amount of places it is being used, especially in game development. Not just towards producing more visual realism, but in literally every aspect, from processing user input (only done properly with what is called an integrator), over load balancing network traffic (using an area of math called topology), to artificial intelligence of your NPC's, you would use linear algebra and things like matrix decompositions and SVD's to balance resources amongst users and worlds, and topology again to understand and balance complex story lines.

Without math its all just guesswork that ends in a mess. See, you'll find out either way. You can pay attention in math class, discover I'm right, and save yourself being one of the guys that later on goes I wish I paid attention in math class. Or - you could keep spending your time programming instead and find out the hard way - when you get in that spot where fixing one thing breaks another and your game has grown to big to be properly balanced without the right math behind it.

Furthermore, your programming skills will improve more by paying attention in math as opposed to coding on Khan. Actually here's some more free and absolutely great advice. Code your math homework and everything you learn in math. Best of both worlds.

Remember, thinking is all about examining all options and allowing yourself to be open to pick the very best one. The one that will progress your skills and the games you make the most. Being persistent is great, but make sure you're not holding yourself back by not considering the options.

Pay attention in Math ! Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

And remember that high school mathematics is barely like the stuff that actual mathematicians do, which is a lot more interesting.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic