Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:05:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLiam’s Brewery
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Liam’s Brewery  (Read 3518 times)
Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »

LIAM’S Brewery
Toast Right 2D isometric management game about the world of beer Toast Left

Hi! Im Naku from Spain! I have been reading your logs for a long time and today I have finally decided to start mine on the game I have been doing for the last 3 years, I think it will help me organize my ideas and take a more constant rhythm

Inspiration

I think the game I've spent the most time in my life has been Theme Hospital. Create a hospital your way, manage it and control all the details to keep the patients happy. It was great, I wanted to recreate that same feeling.
On the other hand, I wanted to merge it with another topic: automation games. I loved the minecraft mod "industrial craft 2" and thought it would be a good idea to run a business with the products that you created yourself with everything that implies

Gameplay

50% of the game is focused on managing a brewery. You'll have to start from scratch, buy furniture and beers to sell. The way to make your own beer will be long, the machines are expensive and you will not have enough space so you can buy some machines and some materials and start. The calendar will be full of events of different themes that will put you to the test
The other 50% will be automation. Brewing is an art and every ingredient has to be processed in a different way by following a chain. Treating the ingredient in a different way will transform it by creating a horrible or perfect beer

Objective

The game can be completed in 2 ways:
- Completing the beer catalog (expect about 50)
- Completing the catalog of objects of the bar (expect about 10 themed categories)

The player will have to focus on one or another part of the game but without neglecting the other. You may decide to focus on the bar but creating X beer would help you boost the clients spawn that can unlock you X sofa

Graphics

The game started with the idea of being pixelart but as I really did not know anything about it and I wanted to do the drawings finally I choosed the vector style.
I suppose the decision came from trying to imitate the type of drawing of the binding of isaac, simple, fast and beautiful. I soon realized that it was neither simple nor fast but with practice I derived a vector style with thick black borders and solid colors (no gradients). I use illustrator for "real drawings" and photoshop for placeholders and prototypes

Technical info

When I started the project 3 years ago I used cocod2dx. It seemed very powerful but I was not agile enough with c ++ to maintain good programming speed. Since I am a senior java developer I migrated the project to a new java engine: Libgdx (IDE: Intellij). I started programming a custom engine based on libgdx focused to take advantage of all the cores of the CPU and have no performance problems (this I will explain another day) and today the engine would be 20% libgdx and 80% custom

All game data is saved in json format. That's why I've been creating tools to manage this more easily. I have used C# and visual studio
AI is in json too, I'll explain in another post

To animate the art I use "Spine" that integrates perfectly with Libgdx

Current prototype status:

Collecting some wheat. The extractor sends it through the pipe to a container but can also be dragged into the inventory

Simple tests with electricity and solar energy

How to heat some water. Containers can carry liquids manually without using pipes

The workers' turn ends:

Animation with bones and meshes in Spine

Workers attending a client

The construction mode will not be the usual, things can be bought from available suppliers and delivered to the pub a few days later. Then you can save them in the inventory and place them anywhere you want

Some art stuff

2 custom beers (most of the beers are inspired by other real)

Some of the utilities to make modifications easier:

Follow me at Twitter if you want (I have 0 followers Tongue)
https://twitter.com/Naku_xD
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:28:19 AM by Naku » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

nice. give me that good beer. that bitter juice. that bread soup we all drink

Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »

Following !
Cheers Toast Right

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

Thanks for following guys, I really apreciate it  Smiley

Today the topic is about tiledmaps:

Handling tiledmaps

I always wanted to make a 2D isometric game, I don’t know, they transmit something to me that the 3D isometric doesn’t. What I didn’t know was that the complexity would rise too much...

The best soft I could find was Tiled. It’s very agile and intuitive: load your tileset and you can start designing the map. The first days of prototype I realized that something was wrong: my speed to change things was very low.

The problem with tiled (and I suppose with all the others) is that if you want to load a new drawing you have to redo the tileset by adding your drawing and then assign the new properties (name, description, etc).
As Tiled saves the data in a .TMX file in plain text I automated this process with a C# tool:

I drop the drawings in a folder and the tool detects which aren’t in the TMX file. It creates a new tileset with all (Using the packer that has built-in Spine) and creates a new row int the TMX. Example with the new solar panel:

On the other hand, something was missing. Be able to manage clusters of objects more dynamically. That is why he creates the second tool: the object manager. It is a simple TMX reader with options to automate tasks.
The solar panel of the previous example has been created here here and new properties can be assigned.
Other features that I find helpful are things like "add property to everything" or "changing one value from one property to another". It also validates that there are no errors in any object (it’s very easy to make mistakes with so much data)

Thanks for reading!

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:48 AM »

I think I will dedicate all weekend to lights system. This is the first prototype:

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »

Hey guys!

Im putting a lot of effort these days to improve the lights (reflection through the windows and open doors). Today I'm playing with colored lights

It's a little painful since in the 2D isometric the propagation of light has to be done manually.

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »

I think I need a break from lights and shaders so I'm spending some time with windows/menus

Fixed menus or incorporated in the map? I cannot decide ;( Your opinions are welcome xD

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »

New menu, this time with beer details

These weeks I'm trying to move fast with the gui things and I'm realizing that I'm multiplying the bugs xD

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

Today I've been spending the short time I have had on create a c# tool to manage the materials that process the machines. For example, the germinator will convert wheat into wheat malt

Bonus:  Beer!

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »

The last day we generate malt with the kiln and now it's ready to transform into wort in the macerator.

In the beer making process all begins with making the wort, which will give the beer its fundamental flavors that the brewer's recipe calls for

The path to bottled beer goes on!  Toast Right

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 09:35:56 AM »

I've been working on contracts management for 2 weeks. Now we can sell beer to another places!

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

The value of cereals is going down again... Time to sell all the wheat and buy Barley to store it?

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »

Today I'm spending some time migrating old things to the new "gui engine"...
I think the weekend is over for me, Im really exhausted

talrnu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

Wow, what a cool combination of features! Farming, crafting, building, economy, customer service... few games illustrate the whole process from dirt to customer, too. Lots of educational opportunity there. Java is an interesting choice, looking forward to watching your progress!  Beer!

Current project: itr8 (devlog, itch.io)
Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

Wow, what a cool combination of features! Farming, crafting, building, economy, customer service... few games illustrate the whole process from dirt to customer, too. Lots of educational opportunity there. Java is an interesting choice, looking forward to watching your progress!  Beer!

Wow thank you! It's really what the game tries to achieve in addition to letting the player choose if he wants to get the materials for itself, buy them, speculate, do business or invest, for example

This week I've been spending time with a new gui: the shop. All these GUIs are locations of a map, the town map. It's like, if you want to buy some furniture you'll have to go to the store and not just open a menu form

I hope I can have the prototype ready for the next saturdayscreenshot Smiley

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:11:05 PM by Naku » Logged

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »

Working on new GUIs

In the programming part, I'm working on "something" that manages some expensive processes into multiple CPU cores. Java by default loads all the work in the core1 and to use the others you have to use threads.
This is quite uncomfortable because then you have to handle the result back and there is some overhead so I hope that the invention works  Shrug

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

posting to follow...  Beer!

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »

#screenshotsaturday

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »

Hey! This week I've been working on the ingame editor / build mode
I've also started to remove the first placeholders and automated the illustrator export scripts to incorporate it directly to the game

Naku
Level 0

Making beer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »

A lot of drawing work done this week

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic