Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:21:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI've Been Working on a Platform That Matches Video Games With Content Creators
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I've Been Working on a Platform That Matches Video Games With Content Creators  (Read 602 times)
IndieWolverine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »

Hello, Everyone!

During the last 3 (ish) years, I've been supporting indie studios with marketing & PR services and during this time, I've noticed a few problems within the video game industry and I've started working on some solutions. Today, I'm excited to share one of them.

First, since the launch of Steam Direct, the number of games being released on the largest PC games digital distribution platform has increased greatly. Last month, there were 519 releases, which was the most ever for the platform. Fun fact, there were 559 total releases on Steam in all of 2013. Steam Direct itself isn't a bad thing. However, it's also easier than ever to begin making games with the barrier to entry being as low as possible with tools like RPG Maker, Unreal Engine, Unity etc. Again, this isn't a bad thing, but when you combine the low barrier to entry to Steam and the low barrier to entry into game development, you get what we are seeing now, an oversaturated platform that is starting to mimic what happened to the mobile game market years ago.

With that being said, it's becoming harder than ever to get exposure due to the competitiveness of the market. Years ago, content creators could be seen as low-hanging fruit as they weren't getting as many game pitches as your traditional media, but for the most part, that boat has sailed. However, if you have the right game that translates well to let's plays, it's certainly possible to get picked up by many content creators. This is not a doom and gloom post.

I just want to point out some problems I've identified over time and I don't see them going away anytime soon. YouTubers and Twitch streamers are only going to become more popular, resulting in more people creating content on the platforms,  which is also a good thing.

My solution to this is ggContent. It's a platform similar to FameBit (for those of you that have heard of it). If you haven't heard of FameBit, ggContent is a marketplace where video game makers and content creators connect to create sponsored content.

I believe this platform can be very helpful for a lot of people. It can be a great place for content creators who aren't making enough money to go full-time but have an active audience to better monetize their channels and it can be a great place for indie studios to AAA studios to find perfect content creators for their games.

I'm bootstrapping this platform and am starting small. I'm formally announcing the platform tomorrow, but couldn't hold back from sharing it with you tonight. I'm starting off ggContent with a closed alpha sign up phase. I will be accepting sign ups from now until October 31. Sometime after October 31, I will begin to accept users to the platform in manageable batches. I'm doing this, so I can listen to each user in great detail. I'm going to build this platform around the users and will take all feedback, ideas, suggestions to heart.

Also, accepted users will be able to use ggContent for free during the alpha phase (only fees will be payment processing fees). After the alpha, there will be a 10% fee for each agreement.

I'm going to be holding an AMA on the gamedev sub-reddit tomorrow (pre-approved by the mods), but if any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to answer them.

You can sign up for the closed alpha here: https://ggcontent.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic