Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:13:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)game engine that never stops
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: game engine that never stops  (Read 7192 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »

Luckily you can expose those things in the inspector which does edit just fine at runtime. Maybe it's just habit coming from C++ tho but I rarely find myself modifying things at runtime even in Unity, even through the inspector. I usually stop running, modify the value, and restart. Almost muscle memory. Of course it doesn't help that Unity doesn't have an easy way to save multiple runtime changes to multiple components.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »

This might be interesting if you are interested in hot loading code :

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:35 AM »

emacs on windows feels like some kind of bizarre anachronism

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »

Haha

My windows setup for daily work generally revolves around emacs and bash :D

Emacs is pretty great on windows. Except for some reason the latex stuff seems to be irreparably busted so it's almost impossible to do a org-mode pdf export. I'm not using the new windows10 hosted posix layer stuff so it might work if run under that environment.

I love the note they show you before downloading emacs for windows

The purpose of the GNU system is to give users the freedom that proprietary software takes away from its users. Proprietary operating systems (like other proprietary programs) are an injustice, and we aim for a world in which they do not exist.

To improve the use of proprietary systems is a misguided goal. Our aim, rather, is to eliminate them. We include support for some proprietary systems in GNU Emacs in the hope that running Emacs on them will give users a taste of freedom and thus lead them to free themselves.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 01:21:20 AM »

That up there in the hmh video is how I usually do hotloading, more or less. A bit more complex.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »

What kind of extra stuff do you do for hotloading if you don't mind my asking?

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »

working on a game engine currently that wraps opengl's output and sdl's input, exposes it to javascript along with helper functions for OS interaction. you can run js at runtime or initialization time, or reload files entirely

shame its not public, but the idea is really simple and you can implement this with a bit of elbow grease
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 01:15:06 AM »

working on a game engine currently that wraps opengl's output and sdl's input, exposes it to javascript along with helper functions for OS interaction. you can run js at runtime or initialization time, or reload files entirely

shame its not public, but the idea is really simple and you can implement this with a bit of elbow grease

I think it is already what Unity or Unreal do, OpenGL on Ps4, SDL inputs are just a bunch of OS bindings, and you can use Lua/Python scripts to modify you entities (doing some custom mods to the engine).

Games:

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »

I think it is already what Unity or Unreal do, OpenGL on Ps4, SDL inputs are just a bunch of OS bindings, and you can use Lua/Python scripts to modify you entities (doing some custom mods to the engine).

yeah essentially, unity and unreal have alot more complexity than mine though. my idea is just to have a JS interpreter, SDL window and the rest is exposed to JS (besides the lower level/intensive work).

I just wanted a cleaner Ecmascript 5/6 system that was expandable, didn't find that as possible with unity (atleast not without jumping through aload of hoops). The scripts dont only modify entities though they can interact with the SDL/GL bindings directly, so its not as limited to just what the engine supports
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:06:54 PM by Antraxx » Logged
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »

Did this thread make it this far and no one mentioned Godot?

But LISP as others said. ClojureScript has some magic tools that allow you to edit scripts that are compiled to javascript and loaded in an open browser seamlessly (and of course a REPL to try things out that instantly turns into javascript and executes in the browser). Figwheel is one many mention and the only one I have played around with a bit:

https://github.com/bhauman/lein-figwheel

The example they link to is a video live-coding a browser flappy birds in 6 minutes (I vaguely remember watching it now that I see it; but not sure how it is 6 minutes if he starts with that much boilerplate code already):

All that magic downloading a million Java and JavaScript dependencies behind the scenes make me a bit nervous though, but I guess that is something you can not really avoid in any kind of web dev these days unfortunately.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 01:16:30 AM »

A friend of mine is using Godot and he's happy to use it. A feature he enjoys the most is the inheritance of the "prefabs", something that it can't be done on Unity.

Games:

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic