Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:35:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoblin Frontier (Topdown Coop Adventure Farming RPG)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Frontier (Topdown Coop Adventure Farming RPG)  (Read 10159 times)
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 02:45:04 AM »

Did you say...Bugbears!? This is a slight tangent, but I'm playing an amazing RPG called "Bastard Bonds," which is SLIGHTLY similar in that you can build your own base and invite people to move in, but you can also recruit/invite all the monsters you fight if you're lucky, and my favorite monster that I managed to recruit so far is a "Bugbear" named Rinaldo, and it is SO cute!

I hope you populate the game with lots of goblins and other monsters (maybe bugbears?!)! Cause humans are BORING!!  Wink

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Adventure Byte
Level 0

Byte Sized Games About Life Sized Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »

The idea of a HM/SD game with the urgency and danger of Terraria/Minecraft is incredibly exciting, especially with the multiplayer aspect. I love Stardew but personally the multiplayer prospect for it doesn't appeal to me, but I like struggling in my games, and struggling in a team is the best. You don't really have many hardships or challenges in HM/SD.

Also loving the fact that the main character is a goblin, that is so great - should give you lots of room to make unique-looking buildings, come up with unusual resource requirements and industries and crafting.

And the whole build-your-homestead from the real wilderness (not just some pre-designated and size-limited patch of earth) is also awesome. Basically I love everything. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks for the love! I agree that a bit of difficulty in games is welcome and tends to make the progression that much more satisfying.

Will there be NPC goblins that live with you, or will all the occupants have to be played by humans? One of my bugbears with farming games is the necessary repetitiveness; I'd love to be able to assign tasks (like watering) to some NPCs so that I can spend time doing more interesting things.

I do plan to include NPC goblins that take on different roles but much of that is still under wraps, stay tuned for more info!

I hope you populate the game with lots of goblins and other monsters (maybe bugbears?!)! Cause humans are BORING!!  Wink

There will also be plenty of new creatures and goblins to meet and discover!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:50:51 PM by Adventure Byte » Logged

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »

Last week I began working on an inventory system for Goblin Frontier. I have had many different ideas for how it might look and I finally think I am starting to get somewhere with this one. Having recently played some Breath of the Wild, I found that Nintendo made a great inventory for use with a controller so I have been looking at their work for inspiration.

This week I added some polish to the previous inventory prototype. A lot of awesome features have been included and you can now equip up to two different items at any one time. There are a couple of other features you might be able to spot if you look closely! Fortunately, this system allows for a good deal of flexibility and changes can be made depending upon how play testing goes. As always, I would love to know what you think!

Banananananana
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »

Looks awesome. I really dig the zelda vibe
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »

Looks awesome. I really dig the zelda vibe

Thanks! I will be posting some updates later today when I get a chance!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »

Footprints and Other Environmental Effects

This week I added some interactions between the player and the game world. There was quite a bit of work put in involving surfaces and tile map collisions but I think it is starting to help bring the world to life! The game now features water ripples when you walk in shallow bodies of water, footprints when you walk in certain kinds of dirt and sand, and your character becomes partially hidden in long grass. There are a couple of other features I would like to add but for now I think my favorite is the footprints. Check it out below!

Are there any other effects you would like to see? Which of these three do you like the most or least? Let me know!

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 02:30:48 AM »

I love the charming wobbling ears Smiley

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 06:09:04 PM »

Development is coming along nicely. This week I added lots of interactions between weapons and the game world, here is a quick sneak peek:

It’s starting to become a lot more fun to go around chopping down trees and searching for berries!  Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:21 AM »

Oh man, cutting grass in Zelda was always weirdly satisfying
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »

Look at what this Goblin found on his adventures on the frontier, a lucky clover! Who knows what it might be good for? Happy St Patrick's day!

Its been a long time since my last update and just wanted to let you all know that development has been continuing, there was a brief pause but now that I have a new computer things should be getting back to normal Smiley

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »

I was thinking about this project the other day, glad to hear it's still going! What sorts of things have you added since the last post?  Smiley

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »

I'm happy to see you're still working on this!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »

I'm happy to see you're still working on this!

I was thinking about this project the other day, glad to hear it's still going! What sorts of things have you added since the last post?  Smiley

That means a lot, thank you! I have been focusing on improving the world generation, particularly in terms of control over the placement of biomes and structures within them. Having greater control over the procedural generation is important. It allows for cooler environments to be made and handcrafted pieces to be set within them. There are several other improvements I've made to the game overall also, I will show off one of those features soon! Grin

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 03:25:54 AM »

The graphics are indeed charming <3
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 05:07:46 AM »

Will you do a write-up of the techniques used for procgen? As a programmer I'm always into hearing more about that kind of stuff.

Maybe you can even get some useful feedback! Smiley
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »

We love the pixel art style you are using, it reminds us of the 8bits classics.
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »

We love the pixel art style you are using, it reminds us of the 8bits classics.

The graphics are indeed charming <3

Thank you for the compliments! Pixel art is certainly tough for me but I have had a lot of fun working on Goblin Frontier thus far.

Will you do a write-up of the techniques used for procgen?

This is a great idea and I will be sure to! I do have a previous write-up from several months ago I submitted as an article for the Procedural Generation Jam magazine if you are interested, but I do think a more in depth description would be fun to share, I just need to find the time.

The link to my article is: https://issuu.com/jupiterhadley/docs/seeds_20issue_202_20_282_29/110

You should definitely peruse the rest of the magazine though, there are a bunch of interesting techniques explained!
The full magazine can be read here: https://issuu.com/jupiterhadley/docs/seeds_20issue_202_20_282_29

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »

There are all different kinds of rocks that can be found across the Frontier. It looks like this Goblin is collecting some type of sandstone, perhaps to build a home?

This week I worked quite a bit on code optimizations but also found some time to add a new type of rock to the game to help add some more variety to the desert biome!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »

Looking forward to the longer procgen article! Smiley

The footsteps in the sand are cool
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »

Early Cave Exploration

Caves are something that many creatures, including Goblins, call home across the Frontier.

I am working to make them feel a bit more dark and mysterious but I thought it would be fun to show off the current status of them.

Take a look and feel free to let me know what you think!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic