Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:57:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoblin Frontier (Topdown Coop Adventure Farming RPG)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Frontier (Topdown Coop Adventure Farming RPG)  (Read 10101 times)
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »

Just seeing this thread for the first time. Looks amazing! Love the art style and interactions shown so far.

Makin' games.
Adventure Byte
Level 0

Byte Sized Games About Life Sized Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »

Just seeing this thread for the first time. Looks amazing! Love the art style and interactions shown so far.

Thank you! I am hoping to add many more!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

Player Select Screen WIP

It has been too long my friends! There have been many improvements made since the last post, but one that I wanted to show off a little is the preliminary character select screen.

Currently it supports naming your Goblin, choosing between a male and female, and selecting between one of the four tunics available at the start of the game. The screenshot above shows an example for when a second player has joined the party!

Some of the other improvements I have been working on lately include:
  • Character Dialogue
  • Better Inventory Handling
  • Basic AI for NPCs

I hope to share more soon Smiley. Let me know what you think about the character select and what you would want to see next!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:03:23 PM by Adventure Byte » Logged

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »

I love the brightness and simplicity - definitely gives NES vibes.

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »

I will support sight unseen any game where monsters are your pals (for obvious reasons), but this one is extra rad. The vibe I get is Legend of Zelda by way of Harvest Moon.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »

Do you have to worry about collapsing caves? What if you destroy all supporting blocks?
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »

I love the brightness and simplicity - definitely gives NES vibes.
I will support sight unseen any game where monsters are your pals (for obvious reasons), but this one is extra rad. The vibe I get is Legend of Zelda by way of Harvest Moon.

I definitely am going for NES vibes and am heavily inspired by Legend of Zelda and Harvest Moon, so I’m glad you are getting those vibes!

Do you have to worry about collapsing caves? What if you destroy all supporting blocks?

That would be a very cool feature. Collapsing structures are not currently implemented but I will brainstorm how to pull that off. I love the idea!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

Fishing on the Frontier

Fishing is a great way to relax and even catch dinner! You never know what you might hook...

The past two weeks or so I spent some time adding a variety of fish to the world and even building out a small mini game to catch them!

The goal is to create a game that is both fun and challenging. I've been looking into a few of my past favorites from games like Stardew Valley and LOZ Link's Awakening. I have a rough version built out now but plan on adding some polish this week.

What do you like about your favorite fishing mini games? Is there anything you hope to see in Goblin Frontier? Let me know below!

P.S: I apologize for the Devlog being unintentionally locked the past few weeks, I was away on holiday and didn't realize that had happened. It should now be open for all replies Smiley

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of mini-games but I do like the fishing from Zelda: Link's awakening like you mentioned:

It feels like fishing and is much more interesting than the "keep the moving bar in the center while the fish struggles" kinda stardew valley mini-game thing.

An even better fishing game is from Zelda Ocarina of time. I really like this one because the fishing is completely connected to the game world and remains fluid with the rest of the gameplay.

I would suggest using Zelda:OOT's fishing as inspiration and avoid the too common meter-of-success style of fishing mini-games.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

I loved the fishing in LA!  Gomez

But it can certainly be expanded to something fresh and fun.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:14 AM »

Oof, fishing is a hard one to get right for sure... you kind of want that feeling of "waiting" without it being boring. No idea how to do that right Shrug
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »

Find and Forage!

This week I took a break from the fishing work to implement a basic item pick up notification. Even though its so simple, I feel like it adds a lot already! It only triggers the first time you pick up a new item so you won't keep clicking through these notifications as you collect a bag full of seeds or minerals.

In other news: a bit more of experimentation has been occurring with the world generation, there have been optimizations made to the inventory, basic collection quests are working, and a minor game log book is now functional. The biggest breakthrough has been allowing placement of buildings by the player in real time. I have a bit of work to do with the lighting involved and will share screenshots in the coming days!

I appreciate the input on the fishing minigames and will be striving towards a more open feel as mentioned by RujiK
... the fishing is completely connected to the game world and remains fluid with the rest of the gameplay.

More to come on the fishing later but this week I will be focusing on a more involved quest with a surprise for you all, stay tuned!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »

What year is it?

Happy 2019 everyone! I hope this year has been productive for you all thus far. It has been quite a while since the last post, alas the development continues!

Let there be fish!

I have spent quite a bit of time thinking of the best way to implement fishing and sincerely appreciate all of the input. The type of system I have decided to move forward with is seamless with the regular game play and (I hope) a bit more challenging and fun than meter based mini games.

RujiK summed up what I hope to achieve perfectly:

... the fishing is completely connected to the game world and remains fluid with the rest of the gameplay.

One huge plus to this type of game play is that other characters and players can interact with the fish. So if you are fishing and your friend jumps in the pond the once calm fish may scatter and avoid your fish hook altogether!

Fishing Goblin Style

If waiting patiently isn't your style, you'll be happy to know you need not always have a fishing pole to catch fish!

Many goblins grow up catching fish with their bare hands. With enough luck or teamwork you can bring home some fish for dinner!

I'm excited with how the system is setup so far and it should be fairly easy to add a few more enhancements.

As always feel free to let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions or feedback you can leave it here. Until next time!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »

Fish pack hunting sounds like fun Smiley
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 06:53:04 AM »

That fishing mechanic is excellent!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »

Fish pack hunting sounds like fun Smiley

It ought to be! I'm excited to discover the best way to catch fish with a friend Smiley

That fishing mechanic is excellent!

Thanks! It has been a long time coming and so far has been pretty fun. In the future I plan to experiment with different fish and water types...

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »

Launch of the official Discord server!

First off, I want to welcome everyone to join the official Discord server Smiley

Many exciting new features are coming to the game and I can't wait to share them with you all.

Feel free to stop in and see how the game is progressing or ask questions if you have them!

New Life on the Frontier

Look out for one of the first creatures you might find wandering in the forests and along the edge of ponds. It's shell looks huge!

Its nice to occasionally encounter a friendly beast in the vast Frontier. These turtle like creatures enjoy walking through vegetation and will spend most of their days on the hunt for berries.

Here is a quick look at the animation (using Aseprite):

Let me know what you think and stay tuned to see this creature in action!

Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2019, 06:00:23 AM »

Stroll on the Beach

This past week I have been experimenting with the first version of the new beach biome!
I am planning to add a few more objects and features but feel free to let me know what you would like to see  Smiley

Tiles

This is also the first time I've been using animated tiles in the game (see the small water puddles). They were easier to implement in this basic form than I thought and I like the extra bit of life they add to the game!

I am still not certain on how I should approach the ocean tiles though. Currently they have a slight animation but I also would like to add waves. They may end up being more than a tile animation because it would be cool if they moved toward the shore (across tiles).

Other Updates

In other news it has been a while since the last update but fear not! I've been polishing some features (some old / some new), expect to see those updates here and on the Discord. I've also just acquired a new tool I'm excited to show off!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »

Oh wow, that wavy sand is making such a weird optical illusion when it moves! :D

Uhm... crabs walking sideways maybe? Smiley
Adventure Byte
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2019, 07:18:40 AM »

Uhm... crabs walking sideways maybe? Smiley

That is a great idea! I will definitely start experimenting with something along those lines...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic