Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:07:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopNew Logo Time!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Logo Time!  (Read 2940 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »

Recently decided to rename my game after changing the story, which means that I need a new logo.

Logos, though, are one of the things I don't feel super confident about. Here's what I came up with for now:

The basic rundown is that Ethios is the world the game takes place in, and it follows the hero group Valiant Plume. The feathery symbol is supposed to represent the group's plume crest, which conveniently ended up having a V in the design (V for Valiant), as well.

Opinions? At the moment, I think the colors are a bit off in some way, but I'm unsure. Too muddy, perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:49:57 PM by McMutton » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »

Looks very JRPG (maybe it's the word valiant that does it)! Tongue

Overall nice (nothing to say about colours for example—good choices!), so I'll focus on details I think could improve—hope that's OK! Coffee

The kerning does bother me a bit. Everything after the first letter is very compact, but the spacing between the first two is quite large. The T could be brought into the E thanks to their shapes, but maybe it's better to space the other letters out a bit more. Also bothers me a little bit that the H is pretty much touching the T and the S the O but most other letters have more spacing.

Would also like to see more consistent height on the letters. I think either only the E and the S or the E and the O should vary, and all the rest should be of the same height.

It's a bit right-heavy, with the feathers and the smaller text both off to the right. Maybe the feathers would work better on the left or in the middle to balance it out a bit? And smaller feathers too? I feel like the main thing, the name, isn't really catching my focus, because it's so much off to the side.

Finally, the main logo is very angular, but the feathers are very soft. The outlines are very thin too, making it look rather pixellated in addition to its angularness. I would maybe try and find a bit more balance there.

Hope this is useful! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »

rescale it into the grid to make it more proportionate. Or the opposite for "Ethios" ecause every lettel there is prety much its own font.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »

Thanks for the input!

You're referring to the scales of the ETHIOS, right Cobralad? Or do you mean the whole design?

I faffed about with the kerning. Good looking out, there- that's probably one of the most important things.

Did some stuff with the letter sizes, amped up the outlines into a thicker, single one, and made a couple of variations:

I'm not sure on this particular positioning for the larger plume design- does it muddy up the ETHIOS too much? The small, understated plume on the right designs aren't as dramatic, but maybe simpler is better in this case?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:25:21 AM by McMutton » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:51:15 AM »

Those are so much better! Hand Thumbs Up Left

I think I like #3 the most. The text heights are very nicely balanced. I do have a few minor criticisms, if you don't mind tho! c:

There's still some general unbalance; I'd move the orange arrow from below Ethios to beside it to the right, after the S, and then move Valiant Plume Saga more to the left so that it lines up better with Ethios. Then maybe make the curled line extend less far.

And finally I'd make sure the letters have the same thickness (the I should be as thick as one of the bars of the H). c:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

Thusly?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »

I liked the feather where it was, but yes! Hand Thumbs Up Right Just make sure you like it too. c;

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic