Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:30:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhy are so many Computer Scientists and Software Engineers anti social?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Why are so many Computer Scientists and Software Engineers anti social?  (Read 12211 times)
kitvonsnookerz
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:41:52 AM »

Especially since the highest levels of software engineering (at least in video games) are very collaborative and because we build video games for an audience which implies that we know or get to know the audience. Everyone has that horror story of working with a team that puts them off it but also that heavenly story that out weighs all the bad ones. I know this isn't everyone but I hear the stories in my major more and more of lone wolves going out and taking on the world, and they definitely don't sound true. Cant we be more than the sum of our parts? Or is this just idealistic.

P.S. Man this makes me think about joining more gam jams with teams. I wonder whats going on this month....
(Off to google!)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »

because modern technical education pretty much skips entirety of human culture and learning social cues and they are encouraged to dismiss it with weird, aggresive form of agnostic materialism.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

Mostly because introverted types are drawn to such solitary activities like spending long-hours in front of a computer screen, alone.

A bit off-topic - I dislike how the term "anti-social" became synonymous with asocial, when in reality they should indicate different meanings.

kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:26 AM »

because modern technical education pretty much skips entirety of human culture and learning social cues and they are encouraged to dismiss it with weird, aggresive form of agnostic materialism.

Woah, I did not think about that at all. I haven't even started projects in my project lab yet >.>. But that's incredibly stupid because its not a solitary effort and encouraging people to be solitary does them a disservice. Just think of all the incredible ideas you can come up with with someone you work well with. I sure come up with better ideas when I'm gellin' with someone.

EDIT: Had to google agnostic materialism...Completely dismissing the spiritual dismisses all we've learned from it.

Mostly because introverted types are drawn to such solitary activities like spending long-hours in front of a computer screen, alone.

A bit off-topic - I dislike how the term "anti-social" became synonymous with asocial, when in reality they should indicate different meanings.

But if you're not just a programmer and actually solving engineering problems on a massive scale it is NOT a solitary activity, as a minimum you have to speak to your supervisor.
Whats the difference between Asocial and Anti-social?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

asocial means you don't like hanging out with other people much
antisocial basically means you're a psychopathic criminal

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »

Still computer sciences are more solitary based than many other types of work, which is appealing to introverted types, even when they have developed or are forced to develop social skills (which is a good thing for them to do anyway).
Mind you, introverts can flourish in social situations - WHEN they are around people they feel comfortable with. And they can certainly be really good at getting to know people as the introverted communication style is more focused on listening and observing.

Anti-social's primary meaning is "against society" denoting a more destructive and unacceptable behavior, not just merely someone who doesn't like socializing with others all that much.

kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »

asocial means you don't like hanging out with other people much

Oh then I used it right  Wink

Still computer sciences are more solitary based than many other types of work, which is appealing to introverted types, even when they have developed or are forced to develop social skills (which is a good thing for them to do anyway).
Mind you, introverts can flourish in social situations - WHEN they are around people they feel comfortable with. And they can certainly be really good at getting to know people as the introverted communication style is more focused on listening and observing.

I suppose, maybe its just a unique quality in programming to do better with other people and lots of interaction.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »

you mean like punching budhhist monk in a gut?
kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »

you mean like punching budhhist monk in a gut?

He had it coming, he meditated at me funny.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »

I have recently visited a shaolin monks demonstration. I believe those were fake show monks because real monks don't give public demonstrations except they need the extra money to sustain their living. I saw open space and cheated myself to the first row during the show. When Qigong (harmonizing the body to become resilient to physical damage) was announced a wooden stick was pulled through the first row of the audience and was allowed to be touched for analysis. I saw it was piss poor piece of wood for a well trained person and I wanted to break it. Then the monk quickly pulled the stick away, of course he feared I will ruin their fake show. Then some Qigong feats were shown, including wood breakage and enduring stomach punches thrown by other (rather fragile) monks.

After the show was over I quickly made my way backstage to get personal with the monks, but I was blocked by people waiting for useless autogramms so I had to join the queue. When it was my time to receive an autogramm I thanked and said I don't want an autogramm, I want to know where the strongest monk left who performed Qigong. First a translater was brought to me and told me that the strongest monks are already in the bus. That was ridiculous and got me disappointed. I wanted to test his Qigong by my own power punch since I doubted his competence.

Don't expect too much if you plan to visit an announced show monks demonstration somewhere around.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:33:16 AM by Cobralad » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »

why does this story sound exactly like the one where j-snake also didn't get to punch a fake monk

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

who knows
kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »

I have recently visited a shaolin monks demonstration. I believe those were fake show monks because real monks don't give public demonstrations except they need the extra money to sustain their living. I saw open space and cheated myself to the first row during the show. When Qigong (harmonizing the body to become resilient to physical damage) was announced a wooden stick was pulled through the first row of the audience and was allowed to be touched for analysis. I saw it was piss poor piece of wood for a well trained person and I wanted to break it. Then the monk quickly pulled the stick away, of course he feared I will ruin their fake show. Then some Qigong feats were shown, including wood breakage and enduring stomach punches thrown by other (rather fragile) monks.

After the show was over I quickly made my way backstage to get personal with the monks, but I was blocked by people waiting for useless autogramms so I had to join the queue. When it was my time to receive an autogramm I thanked and said I don't want an autogramm, I want to know where the strongest monk left who performed Qigong. First a translater was brought to me and told me that the strongest monks are already in the bus. That was ridiculous and got me disappointed. I wanted to test his Qigong by my own power punch since I doubted his competence.

Don't expect too much if you plan to visit an announced show monks demonstration somewhere around.

Lol copypasta. Also good story, are you saying that computer scientists are like those monks or....just making another joke.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »

I don't really have an answer for you other than I can debunk that its involved with training.  The idea that if only CS majors studied some art they would open up and love socalizing belittles actual liberal arts colleges which teach a lot and the best programmers go to good schools that teach a wide range of things. I've never been a social butterfly and likely never will. I have more fun figuring out code than going to parties and if you are mad at people or envious of their coding ability you should rethink your pov. Its not fun to go to a party and think the pattern on the napkins is more interesting than the people there.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »

because computer guys are fucked up
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »

because smart people have evolved past the need of mortal functions such as socializing, eye contact and basic hygiene

kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »

because smart people have evolved past the need of mortal functions such as socializing, eye contact and basic hygiene

Lol they must of also evolved past the need to attract a mate too...
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »

Lots of assumption, let me dig a bit of history, first the field was very feminized:
http://gender.stanford.edu/news/2011/researcher-reveals-how-%E2%80%9Ccomputer-geeks%E2%80%9D-replaced-%E2%80%9Ccomputergirls%E2%80%9D

Then there was the advent of home computer heavily marketed to boys:
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/17/356944145/episode-576-when-women-stopped-coding

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »

Counter point: women can be asocial

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »

if you bring up the fact that women are human beings too and include a wikipedia link then the frustrated virgins who define themselves by their opposition to the style of frustrated virgin who hates women then it fucks with their programming and they electrocute themselves robocop 2 style
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic