Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:37:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Captain McCallery - 3D Action-Adventure [OUT NOW!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery - 3D Action-Adventure [OUT NOW!]  (Read 12114 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »

Diggin the aesthetic. It's like you took an N64 game but made it actually look good.

Haha, thanks, that's more or less what's I'm going for (although I happen to think a number of N64/PS1/Saturn games did, in fact, actually look good  Who, Me? )

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »

Project update:

- Currently working towards getting a rough-pass of all of the levels done by the end of the month.  That means you'd be able to travel all the way from the start of the game to the end of the game.
- Today I finished the first pass on the final boss.  He's still not textured, but his attack patterns are (er... mostly) working and I like how they've come out.
- I've done at least a rough pass on 6 and a half of the game's 8 areas.  I'm about half way through the final area of the game, with the only area I haven't started yet being the second-to-last area.  

Next month will be focused on:
- Polishing up the existing levels
- Making sure all of the food items work properly and placing them in the levels
- Adding more hallucination effects
- Working on optional/hidden areas

And, while we're at it, here's another gif:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »

Space Captain McCallery now has a steam page:  https://store.steampowered.com/app/852900/Space_Captain_McCallery__Episode_1_Crash_Landing/

If you're interested in the game, add it to your wishlist to get a notification when it's released.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »

Added in a ground environment:

This is something I had wanted to add in the original 2D Space Captain McCallery from 2010, but ended up cutting for time.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

Progress Update

I now have at least blocked out the entire critical path of the game, from start to finish.  A lot of areas still need varying degrees of polish, and there are a few optional areas missing, but you can now travel from the start of the game to the end of the game.

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:44 AM »

Diggin the aesthetic. It's like you took an N64 game but made it actually look good.

Just wanted to echo Biijii, as someone who is trying to go for a low-poly N64 look, you've really done a nice job with the coloring and the pixelated textures work really well too.

I enjoyed the trailer, though sometimes (especially towards the beginning), the camera seemed a bit choppy, I wonder if you could add a smooth to make it not jump as much. The z-targeting system seemed to work really well and didn't have the same choppy-ness.

Looking forward to this!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »

The camera is a bit choppy in those scenes as the camera responds 1-1 with the mouse, which I personally think feels better to play than putting damping on it, but I admit that it doesn't look as good in a trailer.  It occurs to me that I probably should've recorded the trailer using a controller instead of mouse and keyboard, as controlling the camera with an analog stick might've looked smoother.  Shrug  Well, something to keep in mind for next time.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »

Screenshot Saturday

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »

Added in falling damage

There is also a range of falling distance in which you don't take damage, but you still have a bit of stun-time

Some of the food items you can find will also be able to increase the distance you can fall without taking damage, allowing you to safely reach areas you otherwise couldn't.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »

Looks like Metroid if it was avaible on N64!

Doing a rough pass (complete the game before fine tuning everything ) then dressing it up later is genius! It’s kinda what I’m doing with my project. I feel more indies would complete there games if we all did this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:20:24 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

Doing a rough pass (complete the game before fine tuning everything ) then dressing it up later is genius! It’s kinda what I’m doing with my project. I feel more indies would complete there games if we all did this.

A couple things to be careful of if you take this approach
 - It needs to go hand-in-hand with an iterative process.  I usually don't start roughing out other levels until I've got a pretty complete vertical-slice of at least one level.
 - Make sure you have your basic mechanics down or else you might find yourself having to redo a lot of levels over again.

Usually for me, how it goes is more or less:

-Figure out the basic mechanics
-Prototype those mechanics in conjunction with making a test level
-Flesh out that test level into a fully fledged level while continuing to tweak the mechanics
-Create a lot of non-level content like enemies and obstacles
-Rough out a bunch of other levels, while also revisiting, tweaking and revising the mechanics as needed, as well as adding more enemies and stuff
-Polish some of those levels so I get a feel for how they'll ultimately wind up
-Rough out the rest of the levels
-Polish

I sometimes get ahead of myself (as evidenced by the fact that I didn't have falling damage in the game until after I had already blocked out all of the levels) but this is how I generally try to manage my projects.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »

Oh I hear you brother!

I guess it also depends on how complex your project is...Or how easy it is to throw new mechanics into the mix at last minute.

At some point in creation, your project begins to “harden” and you reach a point were you’re stuck with the mechanics of this world you’ve created. Or you’ve got to start pulling everything apart to to squeeze these new mechanics in that you’ve developed...which gives me a headache.

This is why I focus on the basics and build on top.

Best wishes for your project!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »

It's been a while since I was working on a game where I could do this:  made a composite of all the zones in the game (except for the last one) so you can see how they (kinda) all fit together:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »

Currently working on more hallucination effects.  Each enemy will have their own visual effect when the player consumes a plant with hallucinogenic side-effects.  I don't want to spoil them, so I won't post a screenshot, but I will say that the effect for that enemy that hides in a rock-like shell and then pops out to attack the player... it's a weird one.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 05:31:48 PM »

The game is now about a month away from release (It'll come out on July 20th)

Spent today working on Survival Mode.  Basically, the game will have two modes to play through in.

Regular Mode
 -Checkpoints that save your progress, at which you can also rest to restore your health and energy
 -When you rest, enemies and consumable items respawn

Survival Mode

- No checkpoints
 - Permadeath
 - Enemies and items down respawn.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:12 AM »

The game is approaching a beta state.  I've been playing through the game to find anything missing.  I should have a beta done within the next couple of days, which will give me a nice few weeks to fix any small issues, add some nice-to-have optional bits, and send the game out to press.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »

Went through my master ToDo list, figuring out which things were most important to do before being able to send builds out to press, and spent a good portion of the day going through and checking them off.

While there's still some stuff to do, this game is now pretty comfortably in a "Beta" state!   Coffee Toast Right

And, plus, while I'm sure I'll be adding more things as I test the game more, my Master ToDo list now fits on a page.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »

10 days to release...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic