Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:43:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs'The Book of Alex'
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: 'The Book of Alex'  (Read 5190 times)
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:21 PM »

A pixel sidescroller, conceptually inspired by Kingdom Hearts and The Pagemaster (the movie, not the game)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:13:01 PM by Bacrylic » Logged
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:30:52 PM »

I'm in charge of the art, so heres some stuff. My partner is the programmer, but he's kind of busy at the moment so devlog updates will be done by me.

Here's our main character Alex and some of his animations.

And his booksword. A weapon that says "reading can kill".

Also some enemy concepts, the inklings.

Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »

Really like the Inklings.

Especially this one.

Is it a head on the top?

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Squire Grooktook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:31:34 AM »

Yeah, the inkling designs are great. This already looks like it has a lot of personality.

EuthimisK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »

Looks really interesting , especially the book-weapon . Good luck and have fun developing!   
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »

Thanks guys.

@Romain Rope, yes that is it's head. A part of the concept behind the inklings is that some of their body parts are made up of punctuations. The golem there has a period dot for a head, much like our pawn inkling.
Pawn

Although this one is gonna be a bit special, because I want to give him these reaction marks in-game. But all inklings will have attacks that stem from the books on their bodies. An attack will either come from an appendage or something that pops out of their book. For instance, the Pawn's long-range projectile attack is that a dragon pops out of its book and shoots a fireball, much like in the poster.
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:28 AM »

I'm not satisfied with my current tileset, but for all sake and purposes it gives my partner something to work with in the meantime. So to make sure we have what we need for the game I'm jumping back to working on our basic enemy character, the Inkling Pawn and concepting out it's close range attack. My partner says projectile attacks could have a lot more bugs to fix, so we're not gonna show the fireball just yet.

Here is a test for the Pawn's idle anim.

And here is the concept for close range.

Let me know what you think. I kind of like the arcing slam down hit for my taste (#1).
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »

Just wanted to say that roll animation is really satisfying!  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Ayramen_Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »

Really nice and fluent animations! Cool character design as well! :D

Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. One of my goals for this game is to make sure the animation has character. So, much appreciated. We're hoping to get to a point where we can get funded so I don't have to go back to job searching, and my partner and I can work full time on this.

Stay tuned for more updates.
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Romain Rope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »

Thanks guys.

@Romain Rope, yes that is it's head. A part of the concept behind the inklings is that some of their body parts are made up of punctuations. The golem there has a period dot for a head, much like our pawn inkling.
Pawn

Although this one is gonna be a bit special, because I want to give him these reaction marks in-game. But all inklings will have attacks that stem from the books on their bodies. An attack will either come from an appendage or something that pops out of their book. For instance, the Pawn's long-range projectile attack is that a dragon pops out of its book and shoots a fireball, much like in the poster.

Really interesting design.
So you're going to use these "punctuations" in a Metal Gear style ?
To tell the player that he was spotted for example ?

ROMAIN ROPE

ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »

@Romain Rope

Yeah, thats pretty much how I was gonna have it, although I wasn't planning on it being a sneaking experience. Instead it was gonna be like if you got noticed (!) and if you left their range they would chase after you with a (...) or if they attacked you from a distance and you blocked (?)

That gives me an idea to add a sneaking element.
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

Did some work on my inkling during comiccon. Not the best work station, so it still needs some work but people seemed to dig it.

Starting the gauntlet attack.

Also, we had a name change decision, 'again'. Because people probably won't be able to pronounce Athenaeum, we're gonna cut it to 'The Book of Alex'. Any complaints can be directed at my partner, although he has an understandable reason for doing so.
Romain Rope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:18:34 AM »

@Romain Rope

That gives me an idea to add a sneaking element.

Adding sneak/stealth is always a good idea. Always.

ROMAIN ROPE

ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

@Romain Rope

I'm interested in it, but that verdict as to go through my partner as well. An thats definitely not something that would make it into our first demo. There is a lot we want to put in that probably won't happen until we're funded.
ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »

Looking really cool. Brilliant work on the animations!

Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »

@Ionside

Thank you very much. I don't have an indepth background in pixel art, or too much exp with pixel animation, but I believe I can uphold our promises on what you'll experience in this game. And I'm not so hard headed that I wouldn't bring someone on to assist me when the time comes.

Small add, but this honestly took me a bit of time to do.
The pre-animation before the attack.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:06:24 AM by Bacrylic » Logged
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 05:08:47 AM »

Very nice design! Following  Gentleman

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »

@Bricabrac

Thank you very much, and glad to have you on board this crazy ship.
Bacrylic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

Still working but wanted to add a little comment.

Guys I'm sure you've already met but say hello to the Summoner (name pending) Rank3.

My reason for posting about this little guy is on account of it being one of my favorite concepted ideas ever. Particularly because this is no ordinary Rank3 monster. This character is gonna have a move that makes your experience in our game different every time. We can't offer a procedurally generated game, it just wont fit with the story and we frankly have no idea how to do it. Though we have thought of a way to bring a bit of randomness to your experience. The 'Summoner' at some point in time will set off an ability that will Kirby Style suck up all nearby Inklings in a set radius. After being sucked into his book, they're ranks will be added up and the Summoner will release a new Inkling with the rank of the sum total. I'm gonna have about maybe 2-3 different types of inkling per rank, or try to. So if you let this thing suck up 3 PawnsR1 and it only adds a +1 during the move, you could be facing a Rank4 Golem Inkling at any time. You may want to kill him fast, or maybe let it happen to test your grit against something tougher, because they drop better rewards. 

Happy Gaming guys  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic