Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:04:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBoxtory || 2D factory themed Platformer || Special box mechanic
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boxtory || 2D factory themed Platformer || Special box mechanic  (Read 1338 times)
Stonepunsh Studio
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »

Hello guys,
first i want to say im glad about any feedback. I think we all know that no game can get made without feedback, so even a "The Idle Animation looks good." can help and motivate a lot and it just takes a half minute.

General
Boxtory is a 2D factory and robot themed platformer about a robot who works in a factory for any kinds of boxes. But his boss "Lord Zombey" (inspired bay the german youtuber Zombey. We want to thank him with this for all his Lets plays.) is evil and sees the robots as just things out of metal without feelings. But our little friend the robot has feelings and know how the freedoom outside the factory must be but he dont know why he know this. So he decides to do everything for escape the factory. On his way he meets bosses and many kinds of enemys.

Gameplay:
Its a classic 2D sidescrolling movement with normal enemys and traps. The game has a story wich is told with dialogue boxes. But the big diffrent to other platformers is that you can place diffrent kind of boxes everywhere to pass traps and kill enemys. That makes it more a puzzle platformer. There are normal levels and checkpoints. (More information to the boxes are coming soon)
The Team: Stonepunsh Studio    
Yeah in the end me (Cryttexx) is the only person makes the game. I do the programming, art, ... Like a one man army.  Smiley

Ok thank you for reading. Im happy about any feedback.
Cryttexx
(And the whole Stonepunsh Studio xD)

"A story full of feelings and friendships. Awesome gameplay and the perfect mix of story and gameplay. I never played a better game called Boxtory."
My Dad, 2017
Ok im quiet...  Shrug Cheesy

Boxes:
Woodbox: A normal box wich you can use to jump on higher places or kill enemys. but it get destroyed after a few secounds.
Metalbox: Can protect you befor canons and so on.
TNT Box: Can destroy walls and kill enemys but you can get damage too.
Anti-Gravity Box: Flys up to destroy spikes or oil barells.
Trampoline Box: You can jump on verry high places with this box.
(more are coming soon.)

I will write more soon but for today its enough.

Screenshots:
(This is a old screenshot of the game with no new graphics.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:25:48 PM by Stonepunsh Studio » Logged
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »

This sounds interesting - what are examples of the different types of boxes?

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
Stonepunsh Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »

This sounds interesting - what are examples of the different types of boxes?
Thank you a lot for your feedback. I updated the first Message with details to the boxes. More pictures and gifs of the gameplay are coming soon. I would be also glad about some feedback for the character and the animation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:45:43 AM by Stonepunsh Studio » Logged
Stonepunsh Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »

Update #1:
Hello guys,

I did a lot in the last weeks and im sorry that i didnt update the post but i tried to make a bigger update and not a lot of small ones. SO i made a lot of graphics wich you can see in the picture. I tried to make a lighting system and I really need your feedback: Do you like this the circle and the whole light system or would you say its to much? I got diffrent feedback so i would be glad about your opinions.
List of what i did:
- Made the character animations
- Tilemap
- a lot of traps
- a new light system (your opinion?)
- bug fixes
- a new control
- a new box system (you can now combinate boxes for example a tnt box and a flying box. More deatails next time)
- new window size
- new box graphics
- (...)

What i want to do:
- A email list (I know for such a little game its not necassary, but i want to try a bit around with it)
- more grahics
- the HUD
- new box mechanic

Thats it for now. Im happy about every feedback.
Cryttexx
Stonepunsh Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »

UPDATE #2:
Hello guys,
here are a few new informations about the game:
- we now have a website with a Emailnewsletter. Subscribe for special news as fast as possible.
- there are new mechanics: You place boxes with holding left click. Bigger or more important boxes take longer than just a normal wood box (screenshoot next time)
- you can switch between 3 diffrent modes while playing: more moving speed, more plcaing speed, live regenerating
- i included the animations into the game with the collision boxes and many (really many) imagepoints

IF you want more detailed news subscribe the newsletter.
Thank you a lot
Your Stonepunsh Studio Team

A Screenshoot (the light looks just cause of the gif recorder like this...)
Stonepunsh Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

Hello guys,

here is our next update. We did a lot in the last weeks.

We did:

- a rain effect system (you can see in the gif)

- a new box place system

- a system with 2nd box you can place

- and animation bug fixes

The new box place system:

In the new box place system you dont just place the box with a click. YOu now must hold the mousebutton for a short time. Rare boxes need a lot longer to place than just a normal wood box. So now we can manage to make a diffrent between the diffrent boxes. This system is nearly ready for the 3 boxes at the moment. But the debuging will take a bit longer.

2nd Box system:

You now have a secound box wich you can also switch with the mousewheel. With the E Key you can switch between changing the first or the secound box. With the rightclick you can place the secound box always. But why should i need the 2nd box? Simple. We now try to make a system that you can combine two boxes. For example: You have TnT Box and a flying box, wich just flys straight to the right. If you combine them the TNT flys for example to the enemy and explodes there. More information about this in our next post.

Stats:

New subs: 2 (both are my emails )-:  )We hope we get a few more.

Unsubscribed: 0

Twitter Followers: 18
Our website: stonepunsh-studio.jimdo.com

Thank you for your time

Cryttexx

Leader of Stonepunsh Studio

Stonepunsh Studio
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »

Sad  Today is maybe the saddest day for the game, but we all know: Where something ends, something new begins.

I think you all know what that should mean. The development of Boxtory is now stopped and probably it will never get finished. It would be to much work to bring a first stable version of the game. The time with the game was a incredeble experience for me. I learned a lot not just about making games. I learned a lot about game feeling and so on, too. The thing i enjoyed most is the community aspect behind making a game. I know this game had maybe 3 guys really followed it. But guys like them are so important for making a game. So thank you a lot for investing the time. I know especially for you @NN81 its really not cool that i stop making this game because you invested a lot of time into this. But believe me, im even more sad.    Cry  But why do i stop making this game? Because i realized that i made a lot of mistakes during the development: Mistakes in the code in know just can change very hardly, wrong game design decissions and most important that i thought somebody would be interested in the 5000th hundread just ok platformer. But like I said. There is a new beginning. I have already a new idea for a game. This is not  a anouncement for the game but the idea is a Tycoon Buissness Game. You play this game on a platform similar to Winodws. Buy things  on a eBay similar page and sell them more expensive. Organize your storage room, creating your own store or make your own products. Sadly i decided not to work with Construct longer. It was the perfect start for making games but with the time you recognize the borders of Construct. My new engine will be Unity. So thank you all, the scirra community, @Tom and @Ashley and especially @NN81 for the great time.  :D  
If you are interested in the new game idea or the studio, you can follow our newsletter: https://stonepunsh-studio.jimdo.com/newsletter/

I´m glad about every opinion and kind words but critic too. And dont forget guys: Making games is not a hobby, its a passion.
Thank you
Cryttexx  Sad
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic