Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:38:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Squeaker, puzzle adventure game. [demo inside]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Squeaker, puzzle adventure game. [demo inside]  (Read 13484 times)
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »

There's a trailer now!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:19:35 AM by michelmohr » Logged

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:02:18 AM »

Following player feedback I've given the compass an animation when it changes direction.
Hopefully this alerts players more to use the compass, and when it changes.

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:24:40 AM »

Feedback said it wasn't clear when the player actually defeated an enemy when stepping diagonal. There's a strike effect, but that doesn't show what enemy it was.
So I added a 'kill feed' popup to show the enemy type, and to draw attention to the fact that you defeated an enemy.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »

Feedback said it wasn't clear when the player actually defeated an enemy when stepping diagonal. There's a strike effect, but that doesn't show what enemy it was.
So I added a 'kill feed' popup to show the enemy type, and to draw attention to the fact that you defeated an enemy.

Looking gucci!
I would even go as far as adding a single black frame over the whole game, or a black frame with a cut through it. Very fast, just momentarily, but it would definitely get the point across. For reference: animated series like Samurai jack

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »

Ah, cool idea. Good aesthetic pixel art. Something odd about the diagonal movement. You are onto something I like though!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »

hey homie, gave the demo a shot and quite enjoyed it.

one thing i think will really improve player feedback is more of a freeze frame/moment of recognition before combat occurs. sometimes it can be easy to miss the fact that you just defeated an enemy, although the pop-ups and animation obviously help.

the aesthetic is wonderful here, and the editor is also nifty. keep going dude.

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »

@Juda: I tried out a screen wipe based on the pokemon screen wipe, what do you think of this?

@Xonatron: Much appreciated! Could you elaborate on what bothers you about the diagonal movement? Your feedback would be very helpful.

@flex$: Thank you very much! I will see if I can do something with a short timescale freeze.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »

fusedotcore,

You are welcome! I'm not sure what bothers me about the diagonal movement. It looked weird at first. Perhaps because there was no space for the player to fit to get to the square. Do you know what I mean?

With up/down/left/right, the square is already opened and can be walked into, but with diagonals it is not as open. Please do not adjust your game based on this feedback. It's just something that stood out and I wanted to share it. I have not actually played the game to see how it feels! Smiley

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »

@Juda: I tried out a screen wipe based on the pokemon screen wipe, what do you think of this?

Looks better already, you should definitely explore it further!

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »

@Xonatron: That's valuable feedback. And don't worry, I'm not going to fundamentally change my game because of a single feedback, but comments like yours do point out spots which need some clarification. I'm going to try to come up with a 'can move here' indicator on fogged tiles in movement range.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »

fusedotcore,

Very good, thanks!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 12:48:46 AM »

i like that screen wipe a lot, keep going in that direction, that's much more clear already.

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

I did some more iterations on the screen wipes are Juda recommended.
Three more shapes & gradients in the colour.

For anyone wondering how to do this. This is the graphic I use.

Code-wise, it's mostly based on the pokemon screen transition tutorial.
Using a component to pass a 0 to 1 value over a time period to a shader.
In the shader's frag I check if the wipe texture has an alpha, and it's red value is between the currently wanted value, if so show a given colour.

If anyone's interested I can explain further.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:38:08 AM by fusedotcore » Logged

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

looks fantastic man

lowinzloGame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »

I like the sprites of the pigs and hogs
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 04:06:12 AM »

The characters are by the amazingly talented Kacper Woźniak @ThKasparrr who is a freelance pixel artist.

Melaniipon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »

I really like this! I'll have to be on a different device, but I'll play the demo ASAP.
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »

I really like this! I'll have to be on a different device, but I'll play the demo ASAP.
Please do! And please leave feedback! Smiley

I added a hand that puts items into the inventory today, back from the old version.

Melaniipon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

I played and answered your survey!
Jovu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 12:34:16 AM »

I've seen more and more games that take classic, simple games like sudoku or solitaire and turn them into full fledged games. Smiley

I love the aesthetic of this. And I think minesweeper can actually work really well in a campaign mode. I despise minesweeper with every fiber of my being however. Grin That game always got the better of me.

I also think that putting in a level editor is an A+ idea. This type of game really needs something like that I feel. Also something like this will do really well on mobile me thinks. It will be most played, and get the most eyeballs there - is my approximation. Definitely more suited for a handheld device, so I wish you all the luck in your Switch endeavours. Coffee And for the platforms that are not handheld you still have the level editor. So I feel it's a good plan overall.

Toast Right

EDIT: I have no idea why TIG decided to format my post the way it did... oh TIG...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic