Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:03:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)  (Read 9234 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:32:14 AM »

I don't have a 3DS but I would like to hear what you liked and disliked about the game. Judging from my impressions alone I very much welcome the bigger emphasis on combat, hope it is engaging and clean. I think the melee stun is potentially a good addition as it rewards an engaging timing element.

the bad stuff:
Some boss fights look not too good. They seem to act independently from what the player is doing, just repeating few patterns all over again. It reduces depth and makes the combat a bit too "gamey". Regarding atmosphere, it is all gone and the shiny visual style doesn't do it any justice.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »

i also haven't played it, but i think i need to see some youtube videos to make a decision either way. until then, it is a great unknown to me

Squire Grooktook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »

Don't have time to work through another game right now either. Observing this one from a distance.

I think the melee stun is potentially a good addition as it rewards an engaging timing element.

the bad stuff:
Some boss fights look not too good. They seem to act independently from what the player is doing, just repeating few patterns all over again. It reduces depth and makes the combat a bit too "gamey".

Pattern based fights are fine imo and don't really reduce depth if they're well designed. I'm more worried about the sudden injection of apparent qte battle cutscenes and the melee parry mechanic. The former I dislike on principle, the latter tends to reduce the need for spatial reasoning and maneuvering in side scrolling blasters. They don't look too intrusive here though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:42:55 PM by Squire Grooktook » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »

i played Raiders of the broken planet from same team and it has some problems with animation timing
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:33:52 AM »

Looks like they struggled with animation/movement-details in general. In particular morph ball looks stiff and behaves like a piece of cardboard at times.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

Don't have time to work through another game right now either. Observing this one from a distance.

Pattern based fights are fine imo and don't really reduce depth if they're well designed. I'm more worried about the sudden injection of apparent qte battle cutscenes and the melee parry mechanic. The former I dislike on principle, the latter tends to reduce the need for spatial reasoning and maneuvering in side scrolling blasters. They don't look too intrusive here though.
I hate QTE's, so no joy for me there. Won't get it just for that. I loved the original game, beat it quite a few times on my own, even getting a few screens of underwear Samus not knowing why at the time.

Pattern based boss fights are a staple of Metroid games, QTE's are not. Bah...

Yeah.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

It's really not a QTE. Besides, you can safely ignore 100% of the new stuff people are partial about in this game, so I see no reason to not pick it up if you enjoyed the original.

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »

It's really not a QTE. Besides, you can safely ignore 100% of the new stuff people are partial about in this game, so I see no reason to not pick it up if you enjoyed the original.
Are you sure? Are you goddam sure? You don't know how picky I can be. Don't get me started, son...
I'll pick that thing up, and if I dislike that thing, there's gonna be hell to pay, my boy. It'll be a North Korean h-bomb type of ruckus, Trmp will surely want to fire his guns and all the fault will reside on you.

Are you sure the QTE kind of things are possible to ignore?

Really?

Yeah.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »

Just don't press x.

That's all it is. Just don't press x ever.

Except the single one time where the game requires you to press x to get past a text prompt.

Other than that though, you don't have to press x.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 03:26:47 AM »

QTEs can be dope if they are not overused. They can add more tension and engagement to already functional gameplay. The same goes for melee parry as long as you cannot exploit it too much (not sure it is the case with this game though).

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »

the best use of qtes is in the shenmue games where you get branching paths of short interactive cutscenes that can lead to things like dying from a watermelon. the worst use of qtes is in the shenmue games also.

i think yakuza strikes a happy medium where it's not life or death, it's just a health penalty applied to either you or your enemy and something cool happens and things immediately continue
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:18 AM »

That yakusa example is quite good, actually.

Yeah.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:59 AM »

Resident Evil 4 was a fun ride too.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 04:11:41 AM »

Ok, so I've thought about it for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that QTE is a really bad description for what's happening in Samus Returns. having played both games, the parry thing is actually more similar to glory kills in the new Doom than anything else, imo. It's just using a button press to dispatch an enemy faster than usual, unlike in, say, God of War, where it's required to input a complex sequence to defeat enemies.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 04:15:23 AM »

the parry thing is actually more similar to glory kills in the new Doom than anything else, imo.
How is the timing aspect of it, does it require some dedication?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 04:19:18 AM »

Oh yeah, you have to be on constant alert to use it effectively. And it's not even the best choice in every encounter. If a bunch of enemies are grouped up, you get a barrage of attacks and you can't parry them fast enough.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 04:23:43 AM »

Oh yes, i also thought about glory kills in Raiders of the broken planet CQC system, but there its the main game flaw.
is constant timing intensive gameplay good for lengthy exploration game?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 04:26:14 AM »

Well, it's not super demanding on a per encounter basis, but you can't afford to let your guard down as you explore. It' more paying attention to enemies than timing anyways, since there's both a visual and audio cue for when you need to press X.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 05:51:51 AM »

QTEs get an unfairly negative rep because they're often used lazily imo. The QTEs in RE4 were cool because they helped maintain the game's sense of tension during cutscenes and they were used sparingly enough that they'd always catch you off guard.

I have not played this metroid game.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »

I pre-orered Metroid: Samus Returns. And I actually got a chance to play some of it over the weekend. I was on a trip to Denver, and played some on the plane rides to and from. It's actually been quite solid so far. I'm only two Metroids in at the moment, so I'm still very early on in the game. But it has been fairly enjoyable so far, with several touches that make it quite obvious that it is a re-make of the GameBoy original. (which I played fairly extensively back in the day)

The "counter" system has not detracted from the experience. For the vast majority of enemies, it is just a matter of timing your encounter with them, and slapping them down when they rush for you. It actually adds a fair amount to combat. Instead of trying to snipe enemies from afar, it encourages you to go in for a quick one-two combo. Enemies take enough damage that grinding them out with fire from afar is tedious. Learning to use the counter system effectively makes combat punchier, more satisfying, and quicker. It also encourages the player to think briefly before jumping in, and planning out your encounters. This helps to control the pace of combat, and keep it engaging, even when just traveling from point to point. It's honestly a pretty big improvement over the original game.

The Metroid encounters have also been a sizable boost over the original game. This isn't much of a challenge, the Metroids in the GameBoy title were a bit unwieldy already. This re-make gives them much more dynamic movement and patterns to follow, so their encounters are quite a bit more interesting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic