Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:19:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)  (Read 9462 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

A real question, this time:

If this is Metroid II's remake thread, why is a Super Metroid control scheme/issues debate going on?
Because of the free aiming control scheme of returns

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Sorry, I've been posting on forums where long-winded conversations are more common so I might have got carried away.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »

So what do you guys think about the 360-aim, any pros or cons?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »

I find the debate between the original and remake kind of silly. If you compare the NES Castlevania games to say, Symphony of the Night, the controls of the two can not really be compared and are not interchangeable because the design of each is benefited by the different style of control they were designed around. Castlevania (NES) is all about precision timing while SotN is all about mobility.

I feel with the Metroid 2 (and more so with Super Metroid) versus Samus Returns this is also the case. Metroid 2/Super Metroid put more emphasis on precision (which 2D platformers of the time often did) while Samus Returns puts more emphasis on mobility and they have a distinct difference in the way they control because it suits the change in design focus.

One is not necessarily better than the other (in a general sense) unless you are trying to argue say, in a more specific manner, would Super Metroid controls be better in Samus Returns? In which case I'd say no, the mobility-based design doesn't really suit them. However the same is true on the flip side, Samus Returns controls do not really suit the tight-knit pecision design of Super Metroid.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »

If sotn is about mobility why does it retain the awful knockback on hit which locks you into a helpless arch until you hit solid ground two seconds later

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »

I didn't say it was perfect.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »

Super Metroid put more emphasis on precision
In SM you are an overpowered tank and can get away with many missteps. SM motivates to "outpower" a handicap rather than "outplay" it. How does it emphasize precision?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »

If sotn is about mobility why does it retain the awful knockback on hit which locks you into a helpless arch until you hit solid ground two seconds later
Challenge? don't get hit, git gud

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

In SM you are an overpowered tank and can get away with many missteps. SM motivates to "outpower" a handicap rather than "outplay" it. How does it emphasize precision?
I think you answered your question, limited aiming direction does that which mean precise placement to get the right line of fire, which mean less mobility (be at teh right place) which mean more leniency on misstep (you can't dodge and aim at the same time) which IMHO mean more observation of the environment (where I should be, what are the movement pattern of enemy) rather than pure reaction (the enemy is flashing, time to push counter).

Squire Grooktook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »

I think the knockback is just to give a sense of visceral impact and brutality to enemy attacks, more than anything else. I can't recall many times in the game where it actually mattered to survival. It's more of a "feel" thing.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »

I can recall many times it was annoying as fuck

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:10 AM »

I think you answered your question, limited aiming direction does that which mean precise placement to get the right line of fire
SM bosses are big and hard to miss, wildlife outside that serves atmosphere and not combat purposes. Everything is designed to account for a big margin of error.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2017, 05:38:23 AM »

y cant metroid crawl
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

So any opinions about the 360-aim? It is the first time for the side-scroller.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2017, 07:21:38 AM »

Well, it takes focus away from movement and towards combat. It's good for when you want to aim at a specific thing, but it forces the combat to center around it. The rhythm of the game is very much "run forwards, stop, aim at a thing and shoot it, resume running". I enjoyed the game for that, but I can see how people who were expecting something more along the lines of Super Metroid would be disappointed.

I've actually been replaying SM since I got a SNES Classic recently. I'm finding that SM is much more focused on atmosphere and execution than Samus Returns, but SR's focus on making everything easy to execute makes exploration feel much more carefree. SM feels oppressive, claustrophobic and intricate, while SR feels more more confident and positive.

They're both good games imo, but they're certainly very different, which can lead people preferring one over the other.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »

i havent played the 3ds remake but it seems like a sperfluous additon to me

JutsBeaumont
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »

SM bosses are big and hard to miss, wildlife outside that serves atmosphere and not combat purposes. Everything is designed to account for a big margin of error.
This sentence was good until you said "everything is designed to account for a big margin of error". Not because it may or may have any element of truth to it, but because I think it's completely besides the point. Conventional enemy/combat structures are not the frame of reference to use when approaching this game.

So any opinions about the 360-aim? It is the first time for the side-scroller.
its not good
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:12:28 PM by JutsBeaumont » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »

Well, it takes focus away from movement and towards combat. It's good for when you want to aim at a specific thing, but it forces the combat to center around it. The rhythm of the game is very much "run forwards, stop, aim at a thing and shoot it, resume running". I enjoyed the game for that
Imagine you would have the left thumb for moving and the right thumb for aiming (and play it with a xbox360-like gamepad) so that you could do both at the same time. What are your opinions on how it would add or subtract to this particular game (or a possibly similar one designed around this control mechanics)?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »

samus returns plays like a twin stick shooter with 1 stick
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic