Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:33:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS remake)  (Read 9454 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

Yes, the metroid encounters are a major improvement across the board. Especially considering that there are many, many metroid encounters to be had.

I think overall the difficulty when exploring was a bit low, because even a whole energy tank or two of damage starts to not matter when you have eight or nine of them, copious energy drops from enemies, the ability to mostly kill enemies offscreen safely, recharge stations alongside very obvious designated 'farming spots' abound, and an extra ability to mitigate damage as well. This, coupled with the smallish area sizes, made exploration have less gravity. The boss battles also weren't terribly difficult, but they had some nice puzzle aspects to them and needed to be 'figured out' to proceed, usually. I did die more than I expected to, so I would hesitate to say the game as a whole was too easy - maybe it was just kind of medium?

Also, a bit of a glitch to be wary of: make sure to save before initiating the final boss sequence. I saved with like, 97%, went and got the rest of the stuff I needed, and then instantly triggered the final sequence. I think I died once and returned to a checkpoint before the boss thinking nothing of it, but for some odd reason that must have also reverted me to 97% since after I won the game reported it and I had to begrudgingly go back, get 100%, save, and re-complete the game for OCD reasons.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »

How AM2R and Samus Returns remade Metroid 2 | Game Maker's Toolkit

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

i played metroid 2 in the 90s and thought it sucked ass, i wouldnt do a slavish recreation
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »

from the original i kinda like the overall level structure and the very last section is one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. the rest of the game was deent but not fantastic.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »

Hello. This game isn't very good, and I don't like it. Mercury Steam seems to be really good at mining older videogames as recreations and then stripping them of whatever identity they had.

At this point, the Metroid series has been bad longer than it was good.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

impression so far: this game has subpar controls
SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

Haven't beaten the game yet but I'm enjoying it immensely. Hearing a lot about the ending, can't wait to see what it is!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

second impression: this game is pretty good (despite subpar controls)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 04:32:07 AM »

if you want a masterclass of designers being full of their own shit, please play Raiders of the Broken planet, its a masterclass.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 05:39:33 AM »

if you want a masterclass of designers being full of their own shit, please play Raiders of the Broken planet, its a masterclass.
how does it "stack up" to Trap Them in this regard?
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 05:45:48 AM »

there are some bugs
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »

anyway, i think mercury steam's other games mostly suck (castlevania: mirror of fate is one of the worst platformers on 3ds) but they honestly did a good job on this. i dont really understand the posts saying they ruined the identity of metroid. it's pretty close to "classic" metroid gameplay, other than the increased combat focus. dont get how it's comparable to their castlevania reboot at all.

it's not a perfect game but i'm entertained by it.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »

Would it be something people should bother with if it was "Space Hunter: Shadowfall", a steam game published by Deep Silver?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »

i dont really understand the posts saying they ruined the identity of metroid. it's pretty close to "classic" metroid gameplay, other than the increased combat focus.

Watch the video I posted, it's good but ...

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »

i dont really understand the posts saying they ruined the identity of metroid. it's pretty close to "classic" metroid gameplay, other than the increased combat focus.

Watch the video I posted, it's good but ...

It's because this game is a remake, and the game it's remaking set out to evoke a much different feeling, with more of a desolate/horror vibe that is missing in this game. I'm personally okay with this change since I think it lends itself to more satisfying gameplay, but it does clash with the story (especially near the end). It would be hard to capture the desolate feel and still have a more combat-oriented game like this be satisfying all the way through, so they probably went with the safer choice.

Also there aren't any QTEs. Or if there are you don't 'fail' anything by not doing anything, like I did.

how does it "stack up" to Trap Them in this regard?
Well, if you plant your bombs just right and pray that you lose no frame, then it stacks up just about as well as a pile of sometimes-affected-by-gravity mud...

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

It would be hard to capture the desolate feel and still have a more combat-oriented game like this be satisfying all the way through
Combat and atmosphere doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, even Hollow Knight knows that. The real reason is that atmospheric games are not in Nintendo's "DNA". Super Metroid doesn't fit into a typical Nintendo game. It had an exceptional visionary who didn't last for long.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

I wasn't making generalizations. This is a remake of a game in which the final areas got progressively emptier for story reasons, so of course it clashed with the gameplay.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »

i've never played metroid 2 so i don't know or care how it stacks up against that. i'm playing it on its own terms as a modern game, not as a remake.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »

It's more than just the remake, all metroid has a progressive sense of dread that match the progression, where story and gameplay work hand in hand, well until other M and remake where they are divorce, the point wasn't that it was bad remake that miss the atmosphere of the original, is that it didn't really replace it with anything and made the game more generic. Given that metroid has an identity crisis it might decrease the value of the franchise other time, as it would not have anything to differentiate itself from the competition, no real identity but nostalgia pandering. Especially when you say it's like other metroid, when in fact it just recall their memory and stop from having its own, even fusion has a distinct memory that pull from the overall identity of mildly action horror inspired by alien, up to this game each metroid had their own take on that identity. Then we got other m, federation forces and returns that has generic identity with call back to best hit of metroid (though the problem started with prime 2 to a lesser degree with halo envy that would have been consume by prime 3, but still with their own identity). The question is, will the series grew a new identity or collapse on the glory of the past. Metroid 2 is not considered THAT good (quite repetitive and clunky), it's kind of the zelda 2 of the series lol (sorry fan of z2), but it did things that where pivotal:
- it deepen the metroid with a life cycle
- it had a great twist with the ending
- it was the beginning of great small narrative touch, like the only chozo statue being broken is the one that hold the ice upgrade metroid are vulnerable to, just before the queen metroid, establishing an emotional connection (resentment) between the metroid and the chozo, despite the metroid being mostly presented as feral beast. That last connection really hit some fan, and it was missed by both remake, who got more verbose and nerdy "lore nazi", developing cold details that actually don't improve understanding the characters and their state of mind. It game a sense of place and live, a depth, that actually supported the gameplay, and created surprise and interest, instead of a predictive gameplay progression made up of shallow memory of the past and tacked on familiarity (they use the songs of planet zebes when the original has it's own songs), the latter flatten everything.

And that's something metroid was rather excelent at, silent story telling that build character very subtly, letting you be in their state of mind without ushering a single word or using cinematics. When people talk about atmosphere in these game, it's not just the moody scene, there was a definite progression that where always building to the next thing, like discrete placement of objects, progressive absence of something, subtle subversion of the order of events, etc ...

I think nintendo use to be good at that, but now they are becoming much more plastic-y, more artificial, and they fall into the same trap tan everybody, verbose telling of everything. Sure they are fun game, but they became less memorable and blur to each other, I don't even anticipate paper mario or 2d mario anymore for example, and the zelda ALBW was more or less good, but I'm still angry at the game about how unbearably artificial it felt through and through. And after playing the mk8, which is good, I'm not sure I want to come back to it. It's something they lightly capture in BOTW, but it still feel like an accident created by deadline and gameplay ambition (you have to fill the massive word, you only have time to be elusive through improvisation and maximizing the few asset you have, which is maybe the same reason why old game felt better lol).

That's just me.
/lawn
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:10:41 PM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 03:53:40 AM »

It's something they lightly capture in BOTW, but it still feel like an accident created by deadline and gameplay ambition (you have to fill the massive word, you only have time to be elusive through improvisation and maximizing the few asset you have, which is maybe the same reason why old game felt better lol).

agreed. it also helped that BOTW broke with many ingrained series traditions.

imo this is a trap every "classic" franchise falls into at some point. when LoZ or even link to the past or OOT were created, the zelda series didn't have as much baggage yet and there was more room to experiment. i mean, the first 3 zelda games were all totally different. the games after majora's mask always felt hamstrung by their need to adhere to established series tropes before getting new ideas in, which leads to empty imitation, which leads to "soullessness".

i guess the same thing happened to metroid?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic