Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:33:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What programming language should I start with for making simple games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What programming language should I start with for making simple games  (Read 1020 times)
zarxto
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »

I'm thinking about just doing a text based game to refresh my head because I haven't tried anything in a long time. But I dont know any good places to start.

I'm thinking of Java because if I somehow create a good game one day it would be open source and people could mod it any time they want to.

But other programming languages are just typically faster and have more variety on options so i'm mostly confused on it. I wanna hear your guys opinion.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »

If your requirements are for a simple project and ease of use, then java would be an excellent language. Don't worry about performance too much, it only matters if the underlying stuff you're doing gets really complicated, like dwarf fortress or something.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:14 AM »

Pick whatever you like working with most. Don't worry about anything else.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »

Anything works for a text based game. Here's one way to do it in C on Windows...
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »

When you say "text-based game", are you thinking of something like Rogue/Nethack/Dwarf Fortress, or a text adventure game like Colossal Cave or Zork or a MUD where you get a room description and type commands to tell your character what to do?

If the former, you might look at libtcod which is C++ and also allows you to write games in Python, or rot.js which is modelled after libtcod but allows you to create games that run in the web browser.

If the latter, you might check out Inform 7 which has a pseudo-English-like programming language or TADS which has a more traditional Algol (C/Java/etc.) style language.

Or for more point-and-click interactive-fiction style stuff, you could try Twine or Texture for some very easy starting points.

Or yeah, if you know Java and that's what works for you, that's totally cool too. Smiley

--Josh
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »

Malbolge.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Billy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »

If you've never programmed before, then the most important thing is that you just pick a language and start doing stuff. Java is fine.

Don't worry about picking the "right" one, and don't worry about "some day". By the time "some day" comes you'll have rewritten your old stuff many times.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »

java is totally fine

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic