Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:34:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe "Photo Sensitivity Warning / Seizure" screen is nonsens!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The "Photo Sensitivity Warning / Seizure" screen is nonsens!  (Read 4530 times)
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »

For now, there is no law requiring this crap to show at game start. But seems it may come.

Here some Wiki info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy#Video_games_and_pinball_machines

So, I hope that dumb politicians, since there are plenty of them these days. Don't force his one day. The reason why this screen is nonsense, is quite simple: People who know that they are sensitive, well, they already know that they are sensitive. Their doctor also informed them how to look for first signs, and how to counter their health issues.

I noticed this first appearing in AAA games. But now, I bought a newly released indie game a few days ago, and saw this screen, too.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »

But why is this a problem? It's a relatively short warning time wise, and isn't that much work to implement.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Senshi_Porygon

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:06:07 AM »

But why is this a problem? It's a relatively short warning time wise, and isn't that much work to implement.

It's a principle problem. I don't do things just because one wants me to. Especially I won't do things, that can't be proven to make an actual difference in the first place. The later is the real problem. This warning just doesn't do anything really. It just may turn an "indie" game, into a "AAA" grade start up mess. So, no. I'm not willing to reintroduce AAA nonsense into the indie dev world. Indies left AAA for reasons, and this kind of start up mess, is one of them.

Well, but I'm not an Asian dev, though. Smiley

People known to have this problem, are aware all ready that games may cause this. I don't see why you would need a warning for it again. Their doctors already told them.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:54:14 AM »

Some games are more prone to causing epilepsy seizures than others, and may cause seizures even for people who don't technically have any form of epilepsy. Also, you're complaining about a minor inconvenience for you, but it may be life saving for someone else, so I don't think you're being very considerate by implying that these warnings are nonsense.

Here's some more info on game accessibility for you. Sounds like you need to read up on that.
http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/

SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »

but it may be life saving for someone else, so I don't think you're being very considerate by implying that these warnings are nonsense.
I don't think that one with unknown seizures, can be killed with the first one. Also, they may outright ignore the warning, because they never were diagnosed with it, so they think it's not their concern.

Unless one can explain to me in detail, how exactly the warning helps, and makes people behave differently to prevent a seizure. This political crap will stay way from my games.

Also, you're complaining about a minor inconvenience for you,
No, not inconvenience. But philosophy.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

It's not about it being the first one. You can choke on your tongue or put yourself in a dangerous position irrelevant of whether it's your first or thousandth seizure. Also, you're assuming a lot of things here, like the fact that a person would not play video games if they knew they were epileptic. This is untrue. There are many people who do play video games despite having epilepsy, and the warnings help them know if a game is particularly risky to play.

Unless one can explain to me in detail, how exactly the warning helps, and makes people behave differently to prevent a seizure. This political crap will stay way from my games.

This isn't about politics, this is about people's safety and well being you inconsiderate prick.

Also, you're complaining about a minor inconvenience for you,
No, not inconvenience. But philosophy.

What does this even mean? Philosophy? Do you make it your mission statement to disregard other people's perspective? Because that's a shitty philosophy my dude.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:29 PM »

I just moved this to general. This had no business being in the business section.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »

It is not political it is a gentle health warning that costs you nothing

This thread has cost you more conscious energy than all photosensitivity warnings in the world combined
sevrl bats
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »

if just one single person ever in the entire history of the human race is spared one moment's discomfort because of the existence of a two-second epilepsy warning in front of some games, it will have been worth the lost few minutes of your life they will total up to if you do nothing but play games from the moment of development of fine motor control until your hands wither off

also think you're showing your age a little there because epilepsy warnings used to be much more common in games than they are now

also the not remembering the porygon thing

also just that you thought this was a good idea and one you should share, that, too
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

I know old manuals for NES games had them

It's nuffin' new or scary
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

i would recommend investing in this thread, it may go hot
sevrl bats
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »

hey look I found a battlenet post by somebody who bought Diablo 3 because didn't have a photosensitivity warning and then had to stop playing it because a section was destroying their brain

so that's my count of one (1) time it would have been useful and was excluded, which is already a sufficient count for the nonexistent inconvenience of their inclusion

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/5967567564
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

i would recommend investing in this thread, it may go hot
I'll start sketching on some fresh ron paul jokes to drop on page three

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »

wait until hard hitting logical fallacies that involve historical war crimes
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »

What does this even mean? Philosophy?
it's 2017 and the internet so probably something from an episode of rick and morty

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »

Unlikely. I've seen Rick and Morty in its entirety and this doesn't ring a bell.

It might come from the objectively inferior Xavier Renegade Angel, however.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »

Not one step back! I will fight and die for what I believe in: politicians must absolutely not "take my guns" in B.O.B (known in Japan as Space Funky B.O.B.) on the Super Nintendo by forcing me to press a button one more time than usual, or not press a button and wait briefly for the minor inconvenience to automatically remove itself from my life. Do NOT legislate. I will kill one hostage every 60 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:34:22 AM by Superb Joe » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

1. "In Science We Trust"

2. Wikipedia link

3. Fear of government intruding in children's toys

*bangs budget smartphone on the desk like a gavel* guilty on all counts of having a small dick
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:34:29 AM by Superb Joe » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »

[in sheriff john bunnell voice] THIS PRESUMABLY FRENCH WATERBRAINED SHITHEAD LOST COUNT OF THE MANY HOURS OF HIS LIFE WASTED BY THE ENORMOUS BURDEN OF THE SICK CAUSING HIM TO PRESS A BUTTON ON HIS WII MOTE CONTROLLER, BUT WHAT HE DIDN'T "COUNT ON" WAS HAVING HIS PANTS PULLED DOWN BY THE HERO OF THE FSA, EXPOSING THE SINGLE PUBIC HAIR THAT GROWS DIRECTLY FROM THE TIP OF HIS UFO SHAPED PENIS TO THE WORLD
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:34:36 AM by Superb Joe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic