Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:13:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story - A Clocktower & Fatal Frame Inspired Adventure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story - A Clocktower & Fatal Frame Inspired Adventure  (Read 6266 times)
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

We Just re-launched our Kickstarter!!!:
Link Here

Hello Everyone! I was told it would be a good idea to set up a dev-log here , so here it goes!

My name is Benjamin Widdowson and I am an experienced concept artist who has set out on his own to develop a game that Ive wanted to make for several years. I was really humbled to find out some awesome people were interested in the title and reached out to be part of it. Now I have a publisher, scripter, and a well known composer contracted and things are ramping up.

"Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story" is a 2d adventure game inspired by Fatal Frame and Clock Tower. In 2083 Neo-Hong Kong a young woman named Mei-Lin is pulled into a ghost story when her cybernetic eyes start to malfunction and blur the lines of reality and the supernatural. Sense tackles ideas of perception, consciousness, and the supernatural while providing a deep and intricate story in a world that I have spent nearly 5 years developing.

Sense will be heading to Kickstarter with a demo on Oct 31!

You can see a few examples of test footage on youtube

You can also see some concepts, art, and screenshots on my social media platforms
https://twitter.com/ProjectSenseDev
https://www.facebook.com/projectsense

I look forward to sharing more about the game with you and showing progress as I go! Please feel free to ask questions, give suggestions, and critic!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:26:27 AM by ProjectSenseDev » Logged
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »

Hello Everyone! I thought it would be a good idea to upload some concept art for you to peep while I work on getting an internal build put together.

Mei Lin Mak, the main character

bar Location concept and street early sketch

The bartender, who is an important character in the larger universe.

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »

Streaming some dev on twitch now! https://www.twitch.tv/bullitbikini

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:10:39 PM »

concept for the location i am currently working on. Nice thing about 2d is that I can migrate much of this into the final art and save time. of course post kickstarter I'd like to really polish up the environments and add much more junk, clutter, dirt, and tech to nail down the cyberpunk setting.

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

We have gifs now!!!

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:02:21 PM »

You got some really nice backdrop environments going on. When I was watching the subway train video, the ride felt too smooth to me. It might be good to introduce some screenshake during the ride to make it feel more alive.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »

Yeah I've been thinking that as well, waiting on kickstarter to figure out the best way to implement it, whether its camera movement or the entire BG
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »

internal demo completed but needs lots of work before the KS demo is ready so much work to do this week in order to make deadline.
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »

Got a new location all put together, now on to interactions and polishing demo content. For now I wanted to see what you think about these thumbnails. This is a very important character

This character is a flirty japanese girl in her 20s, I am curious what you guys think is the best option. (1-7 from left to right)
woobv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »

Wow! I love all those concepts. They're all equally pretty and well designed. ^^

I would say if I *HAD* to choose... I'd pick 3 or 5!
Alboreo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »

3 or 5 for sensuousness if that's what you're going for, otherwise 6 is my favorite overall design!

Also great job, I love the filter you have over everything. It really adds to the aesthetic.
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »

Awesome! thanks for your input. #3 seems to be very popular everywhere, so I am thinking that is the way to go! 
ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »

First off, here's a key visual showing off our protagonist looking on the lights of Neo-Hong Kong.

This may be the first update in awhile, but no worries, we're making great progress behind the scenes.

Since you've seen the original process for choosing Mei's design in the first post, we wanted to show off the process for art.

Let's look at the process of creating a promo image. First, we can see a sketch, which uses an alternate outfit in this case, which will be featured as an unlockable outfit in game.

We then begin to flesh out the design, filling in the colors (colors which mimic the main outfit's color pallete), and fill in the details of the texture for the background.

And finally, after correcting the shading, we add our other visual effects on the layer, to flesh out the image and match our cyberpunk style.

This process isn't just with promo images, however - it can also be seen on cutscenes we're working on, which mimic comicbook style visuals.

You can expect the cutscene being worked on here - the introductory cutscene - to be featured in the upcoming trailer and demo.

Speaking of the demo, we're making great progress with that as well.

As you can see we're putting a lot of detail in animated environments, trying to make sure every detail is emphasized.

That's all for now, but you can stay up to date with our social media for future updates, more of which will be coming this month!

https://twitter.com/ProjectSenseDev

https://www.facebook.com/projectsense

https://projectsensedev.tumblr.com/

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »

Since our last update was about character art, today's update is about environments.

The atmosphere of Sense is built on common cyberpunk aesthetic, but with it’s own twists and influences; mainly that from Asian Traditional culture. In order to make the environments in the game unique, we knew that a flat, semi-animated image wouldn’t be enough. Although we couldn't use 3D, we wanted to push things as close to 3D rendered as we could while maintaining the unique execution and painted style we had begun with. However, this style requires a workflow that is far more time consuming; thus, due to our tight time-frame, we had to experiment with some ideas with each successive environment. The challenge here was to maintain a cohesive look while still maximizing quality and efficiency. While some locations are almost completely flat, others are built much like a full 3D environment, comparable to a paper doll house or diorama.

The best part of this workflow is that concepts can serve as roughs for the final art, and only need to be cut and polished. Here you can see the concept, the cut asset, and the in game final asset.

As you can see with the final image the floor is missing, this is because in order to cast light realistically the floor must be positioned horizontally.

Of course, everything comes with it’s issues; making sure that every object is on it’s own layer and is positioned properly is important, otherwise as the camera moves past objects you can get weird overlapping like this;

This method is pretty standard for 2.5D games, and as I’ve seen other indie games pop up with insane 2D visuals like the Last Night, I wanted to push some of those ideas and methods into my environments. Thanks to that and some late night pow-wows with my girlfriend, who luckily is a 3D environment artist for animation and games herself, we were able to come up with a solution to help make the camera movements and background parallax-ing more dynamic. With her help we went back and rebuilt the bar scene and spent several days tweaking it to get a long hallway to appear correctly on screen.

This has its own problems as well because unless the floor is at a slight angle, the player wont hit the ground hitbox and the lighting will look a bit off.

While we're proud of the work done so far, I'm hopeful that with the upcoming Kickstarter, we will have more time and funds to can hire someone with more focused expertise to take each environment to the next level!

Our demo and Kickstarter is coming very soon this month, we hope everyone will stick around for it!

Finally, You can view the finalized in-game environments here for the two maps featured above:

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »

We're gonna be launching a concept demo tomorrow so people can take a look at the game in anticipation of the kickstarter.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »

I played a bit of Clock Tower for the first time to celebrate Halloween earlier this month. It's a bit inaccessible by current standards, but I dug the atmosphere and the damn creepy scissorman. This could be good! Gomez

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know a very short tech demo (more of a proof of concept) is available on our publisher's itchio. It's about 10-15 minutes or so long, but should give a good idea of artstyle in action as well as very simply introduction to gameplay. It's available on both OSX and Windows.

https://tophatstudios.itch.io/project-sense

Some images:

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »

Love, love, love the aesthetic.

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »

We're now live on kickstarter everyone! Please check us out if you can.

You can also check out our trailer -

ProjectSenseDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »

We hit the 33% mark

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2030067069/project-sense-a-cyberpunk-ghost-story-adventure/posts/2046159
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic