Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:10:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIG skype
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TIG skype  (Read 7779 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »

...and with portals like steam, xbla, psn etc and the growing indie community (like this forum!) we're seeing the small pioneering team reemerge as a viable way to make games.

I just saw this report on Gamasutra, stating that downloadable content from consoles is going to hit $500 million in revenue this year.  Certainly good news for indies, at least those of whom are lucky enough to get a slot on XBLA or PSN.

@doomlaser, mark johns
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 12:29:30 PM »

so when's the next one?
i kinda want to give it a shot.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 12:40:15 PM »

so when's the next one?

I don't think anyone's decided yet.  Matthew got the last one started...  I'm all setup  to record directly from Skype if people are interested in doing something like a podcast (which i think is great idea-- there hasn't been an arsecast in months).

The last one was really fun!

@doomlaser, mark johns
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:41:49 PM »

I need to get a bloody mic.  And some beer.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »

Hmm... I'm interested... But... I don't have skype... Never used it... Actualy, I'm not sure I know exactly what it is... Is it anything like teamspeak?

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »

does skype work on mac?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »

Skype works on OS X yeah.  http://skype.com/ should autodetect that you're a mac for the download.

@doomlaser, mark johns
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »

I'm totally in on this, I'm a skype whore Embarrassed

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »

We should probably organize it like a "call-in show" a bit. (through IRC)

There's a limit to how many people we can have on at once. (was it 10?)

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 08:13:24 PM »

The limit was 10, yeah.  I think you can make it a "skypecast" rather than a straight conference call to increase that limit.  Although then I'm unclear if everyone can talk or if only a few can talk and more can listen.

Also, to participate you must be drunk.  It's just easier that way.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:33 PM »

The limit was 10, yeah.  I think you can make it a "skypecast" rather than a straight conference call to increase that limit.  Although then I'm unclear if everyone can talk or if only a few can talk and more can listen.

Also, to participate you must be drunk.  It's just easier that way.

With more than 10 people it would get too hard to have a discussion anyways... makes more sense to have it be like a "panel" and then have people coming on to ask questions, or just have it as a discussion on rotation so that everyone gets a chance to be part of it.

Yea, alcohol is required.

Eden
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »

I like the panel idea. What about doing this tomorrow, or the next day?
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 04:16:35 AM »

I'd be interested on at least listening and adding a couple comments or questions, but it when depend on what time in what timezone the discussion is scheduled for, since I live in the far eastern side of the Eastern Hemisphere.

Also, although only 10 people can talk at once, can all the listeners still text chat in the same conversation? I've never use Skype for more than 1 to 1 conversations.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 05:10:24 AM »

Also, although only 10 people can talk at once, can all the listeners still text chat in the same conversation? I've never use Skype for more than 1 to 1 conversations.

We can just all text chat on tigIRC.

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »

Still, people could put forward suggestions for discussions etc. if you're gonna do a panel kind of thing.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 06:59:11 AM »

Still, people could put forward suggestions for discussions etc. if you're gonna do a panel kind of thing.

That was what I was trying to imply.

Since then, I've done a little reading of the Skype guides. Conference calls are limited to 10 participants. No one else can even listen in. Skypecasts allow for up to 100 participants. The moderator, among other abilities, can choose which people can join the conversation, and listeners can request to speak. But it seems if listeners what to text chat amongst themselves about the discussion while it's going on, tigIRC would be the best choice.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »

I'd definitely be down on getting in on this, I just bought a new headset and I have nothing to use it for lol...no but this could really be interesting, I especially like Alec's suggestion on the topic being "the future of indie games", I have been thinking about some of the same stuff....

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »

hey eden, im just seeing your PM right mow.
sunday the 21st in the afternoon would be best for me.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »

Another possibility would be to use a something like Nicecast to simultaneously record and broadcast a live mp3 stream of the skype chat, so anyone could listen in and talk smack or whatever in the irc channel.

It'd be cool to cover the different development environments that indies are using for their work.  I know some people are having success with Unity, but there's also Java, Flash (Gamasutra has another article on flash game devs making an ad-supported living off their work), Multimedia Fusion, GM, and the more traditional route of using OpenGL+SDL, DirectX, XNA, etc... oh, and it was fun last time to talk shit about Torque.

Talking business, piracy and serial schemes, and the role of publishers might be another good related topic.

Oh also, covering the IGF/GDC would be great: how it's evolved over the years, and its role in getting exposure and launching indie careers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:40:11 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
JohnB
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »

I'd definitely be into a Skype conversation of some sort. We should probably hold off on panel-type discussions and other more complex ideas for a bit and just do a few raw Skypecasts (with topics) and see how they go, then refine from there.

I'm a writer. I write words for games. Example: Bitcoin Billionaire, Freaking Meatbags.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic