Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:24:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesKiller Queen - Competitive Joust MOBA meets Super Mario
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Killer Queen - Competitive Joust MOBA meets Super Mario  (Read 7038 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Local arcade got the double-cabinets.

I heard from the devs they cost over 10k(!) to buy.

Game looks fun

Have you played it?
Pro strats?

Looks like speed > economy is strong.
Snail looks like it can be countered hard by economic play.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:54:05 PM by quantumpotato » Logged

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »

You'll get a lot more "buzz" if you simply explain it as a competitive Joust MOBA
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »

You'll get a lot more "buzz" if you simply explain it as a competitive Joust MOBA

done
have you played it?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »

whats the point of making a thread about a game that 99% of this forum will never get to play due to it costing 12k dollars unless you live in one of like 10 major cities in the US of A?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:27:41 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:34:01 AM »

whats the point of making a thread about a game that 99% of this forum will never get to play due to it costing 12k dollars unless you live in one of like 10 major cities in the US of A?
presumably he liked it and wanted to introduce it to, or talk about it to other people in those cities.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »

perhap's...
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:16:30 PM »

presumably he liked it and wanted to introduce it to, or talk about it to other people in those cities.

Yeah. It looks cool, I haven't played it yet. The city I'm in has pop under half a million but the local arcade got a copy. (Maybe the price has decreased).

If anyone's played it I'd like to hear thoughts. There are 3 ways to win as you can see from the video above. Economy looks reliable, Military looks risky, Snail looks like a troll way but maybe there's a strategy.

It costs $2 for a round (that's the whole team or maybe both) so if anyone has any pro tips I'd love to hear.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »

I'll probably never play it but:  It's cool and I like the idea of it and it's cool and good to talk about cool and good projects going on in the world of esports indie games
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

I played this once at GDC. It seemed cool, but man, the learning curve felt pretty harsh. My team lost every single game to a military defeat. I felt like I kinda sorta had a handle on what to do at one point, but they were just too good and shut us down every time.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

I played this once at GDC. It seemed cool, but man, the learning curve felt pretty harsh. My team lost every single game to a military defeat. I felt like I kinda sorta had a handle on what to do at one point, but they were just too good and shut us down every time.

Good to know.. yeah military looks tough. I'm nervous about how vulnerable the Queen is

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »

The game is actually quite brilliant. They did a good job of balancing the motivations of the different roles. Neglecting one aspect of the game can allow your opponents to sneak a victory past you.

I played this game with a bunch of other friends at my brother's bachelors party. We all had a great time. It got pretty competitive.

I found that the winning strategy for our team was to use the Queen in a slightly more defensive stance, while using her mobility to insure that your opponents don't have an opportunity to generate soldiers. The Pac-Man style looping of the level allows for greater mobility, which helps make running away viable.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »

The game is actually quite brilliant. They did a good job of balancing the motivations of the different roles. Neglecting one aspect of the game can allow your opponents to sneak a victory past you.

I played this game with a bunch of other friends at my brother's bachelors party. We all had a great time. It got pretty competitive.

I found that the winning strategy for our team was to use the Queen in a slightly more defensive stance, while using her mobility to insure that your opponents don't have an opportunity to generate soldiers. The Pac-Man style looping of the level allows for greater mobility, which helps make running away viable.

Agree.

Defensive queen + tagging the soldiers seems like the way to go

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 02:41:46 AM »

glad to see there is now fruitful discussion in this thread [raises fist to the sky] solidarity with posters, fuck the mods
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 04:46:56 AM »

fuck the mods

*admins
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »

An admin is a mod. That's ontology. That's canon.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »

I didn't like: You have to mash button to flap. "Tap faster to go higher faster" -- could have just been hold to accelerate, making the common use case of wanting to ascend quickly easier to do.

My hands hurt after a few dozen games as Queen. Not going to play this one a ton bc of this

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »

Game has good strategy variety.
Being Queen is still annoying to tap rapidly.
I don't like the "ceiling stick" - you can get stuck on ceiling and can't be killed if you keep bumping into it.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »

I didn't like: You have to mash button to flap. "Tap faster to go higher faster" -- could have just been hold to accelerate, making the common use case of wanting to ascend quickly easier to do.

My hands hurt after a few dozen games as Queen. Not going to play this one a ton bc of this

I've *played* this game in 2 of the 10 towns it's in, now; during my long absence. It is FUN and TENSE AS HELL.

The tap-to-flap is quite deliberate - what you're observing players do is called a "ground scrape," a deliberate rhythm/tactic to use platforms to protect you from counterattack while controlling space below you. Even at "ceiling range," tapping TOO fast will cause you to bounce off of the platforms, instead of scraping them. The queen has a slightly smaller "top" hitbox, allowing them to beat out other non-Queens that are using that tactic - this is deliberately designed in favor of the queen.

The Queen, last I played (it's been a little while), gets to tap considerably more sparingly compared with the other soldier players, because they don't stay in flying mode; where Queens are expected to be airborne *constantly* throughout a game. And it's not common to play a dozen games back to back. Usually KQ communities have "meetup nights" where they have mini-tournaments (single elimination if 7 teams or more, double if 6 or less) where usually you get breaks while the other teams play; and on casual nights it's more common to rotate roles with another player or two.

I played a lot at Ground Kontrol in Portland, OR; a little during a trip to SF at Brewcade once, and when I get a little more time (shouldn't be too long now), I've been meaning to tackle Add-A-Ball in downtown Seattle (an hour from where I live now).

I'm glad to see this get circulated here, it's quite an experience.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »

Once you get stuck on ceiling, you can't get unstuck if you  Hand Any Key fast enough right?

Glad you liked it! I love changing strategy mid game & adapting.. and of course, winning by berries only

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »

i have played this a couple times. it's cool but the chicago scene is too intense and i'm too far away from logan arcade to "get gud". every time i've played i got the distinct feeling that people were mad i was playing

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic