Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 06:47:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDungeon Rabbit
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Rabbit  (Read 1488 times)
SouthpawHare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »

Hello, everyone!  Over about the last half year, I've been working on making a platformer game of my own from scratch using Python and Pygame.  It's far from being finished to the level I desire, but it's already my largest product that I've thus far ever created, and is as such a big step forward for me.

Here is a two-part You Tube video of myself showing off the game with a quick playthrough:

And the game itself can be downloaded from my new, (still partially under-construction) website that leeches off of my school at:
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~czyzec

I'm open to any and all comments about the game, and hope to get as much feedback as possible.  I hope you enjoy trying out my games, be it this one or future projects.

~Hare

Huzzah!
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »

welcome to TIGS Hare and interesting game you have here!

From the nature of the demo's visuals and sounds I'm guessing these are mostly placeholders at the moment so I'll hold back from commenting on them. I did notice a couple of things though.

It seems like it's difficult (impossible maybe?) to reverse direction during a jump; for example, if you jump for the first platform you come across in the Proving Grounds. I can see the appeal of perfect placement for the jump-off point but as player I much prefer being able to control mid-air velocity.

Second during combat it seems easy to fall into a negative feedback loop where you get hit and the knock-back/stun sets you up for another hit right away. If the stun time was shorter I don't think this would be such a big issue but as it is it can be impossible to just retreat when you start getting hit.

I don't know if you're planning to keep this at all but if not please consider removing the sound alarm when you have a low resource, it was pretty annoying. Maybe some other kind of visual feedback?

I like the variety of offensive/defensive weapons, the free roaming levels, and the resource spots. The combat feels good overall too except for what I mentioned above.

Looking forward to more of this!  Smiley

(also could you package everything in a folder inside your zip?)
SouthpawHare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  Let me respond in regard to each of these comments:

In regards to the graphical art, they originally did start as "placeholder programmer artwork" done by myself, since I am a fairly poor artist.  However, due to poor foresight in my programming style (which I have since learned from), elements of them are somewhat hard-coded into the game and would be difficult to remove at this point, and so I'm trying to run with the stick-figure art as a legitimate style.  I don't actually have any artist willing to create a better alternative for me anyways, so presently I'm not capable of much of anything better.

Turning around in mid-air is not impossible, but is more difficult than turning around on the ground.  Essentially you have less "traction" in the air, although this only makes sense in fictional physics anyways.  This was intentional, although it doesn't necessarily have to be so extreme, I suppose.

I actually had planned on keeping the resource alarm sound.  I actually put it in recently, believing it to be a good idea.  Perhaps I was mistaken?  I am open to alternatives.

Certainly, the zip file organization is an excellent idea.  I shall deal with that immediately.

I greatly appreciate your feedback.  I look forward to showing you move of the game in the near future.

Huzzah!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »

i like it, reminds me of Captain Claw :D

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic