Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:11:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesigning enemy waves
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing enemy waves  (Read 1658 times)
ArzNova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Most of my games have been action games with linear levels, so I've never had to deal with generating content on the fly before. The game I am currently working on is an arcade-style game with waves enemies being generated that increase in difficulty over time.

So TLDR: what methods do you like for generating waves of enemies?

Because the simplest version would be just a timer that runs out and creates random numbers of random enemies, and this timer becomes shorter. But that's dumb and wouldn't feel fun.

The two systems I've come up with are like this:
  • The system runs on a recurring timer. When spawning enemies, it has a "currency" that the system can use to "purchase" enemies. It tries purchasing harder enemies first and creates a list of enemies until it has run out of currency. It then spawns the group.The amount of currency it has to spend on enemies increases with time, allowing for higher level enemies and more small enemies to spawn each time.
  • OR a system with pre-made patterns of enemies, so each group can be tailored to be fun and challenging in its own way. Each pre-made set of enemies has ways it can scale in difficulty over time.

Honestly, both of these seem obtuse. I'm not sure what to do because I've never designed a system like this. SO. Let me know what tips and tricks you use in your own games!  Beer!

Composer / Audio Designer / Animator / Programmer (I do a lot of stuff.)
www.soundcloud.com/lukepena
www.lukepena.org
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »

They are many, many possibilities depending on the feeling you want to give.
I'll try to express some of them in different aspect of gameplay.

Predictability: Random enemies vs predefined batch
The random selection of enemies makes you feel unsecure with a high sense of danger.
It place the player in high tension and he/she has to be always attentive to what's happening (ex: Super Crate Box)
On the other hand, predefing you waves would make the player feel more confident as he/she learn the incomming order.
(ex: Towerfall)

Waves Pace: Time based vs enemy based
You can start your waves automatically after a certain time. This could easily overwhelm the player if the previous wave has not been cleared on time. You can even decide to add more danger on timeout to accentuate the felling of danger. (ex: Curses 'n Chaos)
You can also start the waves after killed a number of ennemies. It feels more calm but the danger can be elsewhere. (ex: Towerfall)
You can also have a mix of the two: have a timer but start the new wave if a number of enemies have been killed.(ex: Curses 'n Chaos)

Within a single wave you can also have conbination of those aspect.
Enemies could come all at once or in batch. The next batch could come after killing every one or after a timeout...
You can even mix it with the 'currency' system that you propose. It all depends on game feel.

The idea of have predefined "fun" batch of ennemies is very interesting and could give an greatmix between randomness and hand made crafting.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »

I wrote on this subject in my devlog, check it out -> https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59099.msg1337473#msg1337473

Combination of single enemies, waypoint enemies and squadrons spawned semi-randomly based on parameters and grid system.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic