Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:14:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)2D Game Engine Advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Game Engine Advice  (Read 897 times)
wkwkwkwk1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2017, 04:45:27 AM »

Greetings!

I have been considering starting an old project of mine, and I'd appreciate your opinion on which game engine to use for it.

Said project is nothing too fancy. I don't want to make the next MMORPG.

At it's theoretical peak, it could be something akin to the isometric games of old - graphically speaking. Gameplay would be rather different from the usual, but only in terms of mechanics. Single-player all the way, too.

So, in terms of graphic capabilities, something capped at 2D or limited 3D is perfectly okay.

Scripting/coding capabilities are a must, but I don't think I know of any engine that doesn't.

Ease of use is naturally a plus, but not a primary point.

The license should be as permissive as possible. I don't know yet what I want to do with this project, but I know I want it to be mine, down to the last line of code. Except the engine maybe. No draconian licenses, no "the game is yours but not quite", and so on. Open source if possible.

I'm not looking for the standard canned answers: Unity 3D, Game Maker Studio, and so on. Those I know of already, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons if possible.

One more thing: game making is a hobby for me. I never directly spent a single cent in any of my hobbies, and I don't want to start now. So, no commercial solutions, please.

Features summarized:
 - Native 2D support
 - Customization options through scripting/coding.
 - License that gives me full control over whatever I might want to do with the game
 - Free

My apologies if the question is poorly worded at some point, or if I didn't provide enough information for proper advice. Feel free to ask me anything; I will answer and update the OP accordingly.

Thanks in advance,
wkwkwkwk1
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 04:50:35 AM »

Godot? Or does that count as standard answer? It's open source!

wkwkwkwk1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 05:07:20 AM »

I have been looking into it, actually! As far as I can tell, it's still in development, but seems pretty nice  Smiley

And no, it definitely doesn't count as a standard answer  Tongue Thanks for the quick reply!
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 05:57:06 AM »

I have been looking into it, actually! As far as I can tell, it's still in development, but seems pretty nice  Smiley

Every software has only two states: still in development, or dead

I used Godot for a while, and it's an excellent game engine. I just don't use it, cause I have my own API.

It's totally worth checking.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 06:04:30 AM »

Duality, Wave Engine?

Yeah.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 06:18:17 AM »

you didn't mention you want a built in editor so I'll throw my favorite HaxeFlixel into the ring. It does interface with Tiled/DAME/Whatever quite easily if you do want an editor.

wkwkwkwk1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »

Every software has only two states: still in development, or dead

I used Godot for a while, and it's an excellent game engine. I just don't use it, cause I have my own API.

It's totally worth checking.

I meant early development, but then again, what you say is true. I'm checking it out! Smiley

Duality, Wave Engine?

you didn't mention you want a built in editor so I'll throw my favorite HaxeFlixel into the ring. It does interface with Tiled/DAME/Whatever quite easily if you do want an editor.

All three of your suggestions look very nice, thank you! :D
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »

Love2D.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »

I still suggest you Unity, the community is strong so you have a lot of references to learn new tricks and mechanics. I am curious, why are you interested in open source engines? In case, there is MonoGame: http://www.monogame.net/

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic