Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:25:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1319862 times)
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to say that the currently selected brick no longer appears for me in the top-right corner. The only thing that shows up there is the Shrub. Also, the surface of fluids seem to disappear if there is a block directly above them, like so:

Same thing happened to me.

Ontopic:In survival mode they should have a limited amount of time to breath underwater.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:22:25 AM by Navineous » Logged
Renton
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to say that the currently selected brick no longer appears for me in the top-right corner. The only thing that shows up there is the Shrub. Also, the surface of fluids seem to disappear if there is a block directly above them, like so:

Same thing happened to me.
This.

Also, we need climbable things, like vines.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »

Uuh, vines, good idea. I can really see a lot of potential in just a large amount of different tiles, even if few of them have special effects. Snow and ice are mentioned on the blog. I can already imagine largely different worlds built cooperatively by several players, all very colourful and varied in detail. Way to go.. Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »

It's probably hard to do and may not be in the direction you want to go, but having a plain trixel-like block that could be any colour you choose would be marvelous. Giant-scale collaborative pixel art, I say! Tongue

Anyhow, more dabbling - tonight I found a bloody great lake of lava and decided to use it constructively. Well, sort of. Roll Eyes

Since it's now impossible to make bottomless pits, I decided I would instead keep the mob horde under control by imprisoning the survivors of the Pit o' Doom in a remote island dungeon (guarded by a castle built on a rocky peak laced with treacherous caverns):

Also,

ahoy, 'cos frankly Minecraft deserves all the moving picture attention it can get.

Is there a Mob torture addiction hotline? I think I need help... WTF

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »

A suggestion that you've probably heard a lot/thought about would be like a Dungeon Mode.

Basically, the player hosting the game/map would use a map s/he has already made and have the other players work together and get to the end/complete/beat the level/map. The gameplay mode could be like a FPS, or even some form of an RPG.
Course, this could be like a survival mode also, but yea.

Either way, some of the stuff you guys create are really epic looking and I'd love to play through all of them like I was some explorer. CAN'T WAIT TO PLACE MONSTERS!!! =D

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »

Nice building and again a charming video Zolyx Smiley I might also create a video once I build something comparatively big again. I just hope I won't have to use some kind of video editing program, the last and only time I had to try and use some free ones nearly gave me nightmares.

Also, this makes me hope for glass blocks again. Having huge underwater, no, underlava bases! With a view on the entire surrounding environment! Uuuh...

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

Hey glass blocks were my idea. Just kidding it's fine. Anyway, my screen has gone gray again  Cry  Cry  Cry
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

I have no idea why that's happening to you, Navineous. Undecided
Are your drivers up to date? Do you have a strange graphics card?

Oh, and that prison thing is super double plus awesome, Zolyx!
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500
Please help!  Beg
I will go crazy without the game  Big Laff
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

Oh wow. Yes, the "Dungeon Mode" mentioned above would be awesome.

But the players would have to not be allowed to build or destroy blocks. (Or maybe the level creator could decide whether or not the players can or can't build or destroy blocks.)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

But the players would have to not be allowed to build or destroy blocks. (Or maybe the level creator could decide whether or not the players can or can't build or destroy blocks.)

Hmm... better(?) concept for the Dungeon Mode is that a person can create a "Dungeon" map and upload it to some common server, then players can form groups and take on the "Dungeon" maps from the server, and such. Could implant a ranking system and such for it. The players would not be able to create/destroy blocks.

But again, I don't know how possible this would be so yea  Shrug
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

Hmm... better(?) concept for the Dungeon Mode is that a person can create a "Dungeon" map and upload it to some common server, then players can form groups and take on the "Dungeon" maps from the server, and such. Could implant a ranking system and such for it. The players would not be able to create/destroy blocks.

But again, I don't know how possible this would be so yea  Shrug

Well, yeah, those things, too, but I thought they were already mentioned.

And he has said that he's going to have combat in the game, so I doubt such a game mode would be too far off-course.

And regarding the question on your blog (which I answered this time, formally), I think, in addition to a thin pit-trap tile that breaks when someone (or something) walks on it, spikes are a must. Fall on them, instant death.

Food, though, I think, would be too tangential to the rest of the game. I'm looking to play a game with building and fighting. Not eating or farming (especially farming).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:34:08 PM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

Well, either way, going co-op through someone's epicly awesome dungeon or heck, going CTF or deathmatch on anyone's map would be so epic, the universe might explode.  Gentleman
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »

Well, either way, going co-op through someone's epicly awesome dungeon or heck, going CTF or deathmatch on anyone's map would be so epic, the universe might explode.  Gentleman

Agreed.

(Not that you shouldn't do it, though! A chance the universe explodes is a perfectly fine price for such an awesome game!)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

it would be cool if player-player interaction included things like pulling each other up or jumping on top of one another to high places.

And I disagree with people saying resources would kind of meh up the game. I think they'd be awesome. It'd like, turn this from a toy into a game. Nothing wrong with toys but I really like games.

I look forward to co-oping through a dungeon because now that it's been mentioned you are obligated to include it.

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »

Regarding resources, he's said that there'll be a mode that doesn't have resources required for anything, so those who like just building things will be accommodated. I, for one, like the idea of resources, but I don't think it'd be fun for resources to be like other games do resources (that is, having a "wood" counter wouldn't be fun for me). I think the way it should work is like, you're simply moving blocks around. So, you go mine away a block of stone, and now you are able to build one block of stone somewhere else. And you can only hold so many blocks at a time. Then if you want to use resources to make things like swords or arrows or stuff, you could use a combination system. Perhaps if you have a block of stone and a block of wood in your inventory, you press "craft" and get 10 arrows. (And of course, there should be treasure hidden at the bottoms of caves, like +1 arrows or something, so people have a reason to brave the monster-ridden depths. Or maybe they should be better, like, if you get "+1 arrows" your entire team now has better arrow damage, so it's actually a long-term motivator.)

And Xion's player interaction idea is awesome.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:24:31 PM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »

Ooh, dungeon mode. Awesome idea. =D
You'd create the level in creative mode, spawn monsters and set the starting location.. Peeerfect.

I've started work on the website where all the level sharing will happen, and I've managed to get a basic framework for handling users up and running.
To play someone's level, you'd just go, for example, http://www.minecraft.net/players/drDoom/levels/castle.html, and the applet would show up on that level. :D

If you want to play it multiplayer, there's going to have to be a server somewhere, so that might end up more complicated.. hmm..
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500
Please help!  Beg
I will go crazy without the game  Big Laff

I've fixed.. something.. in 0.0.13a which will arrive in not too long. Please don't go crazy before that. :-O
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2009, 05:59:54 PM »

I can think of a few friends of mine (like, pretty much all of them) that would beg for a standalone version, due to poor internet connectivity.

Would it be possible for such a thing to be made?
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »

Absolutely, once it hits beta. The game works really well in fullscreen mode. =)

I want to more or less force people to get the latest version while it's in alpha.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic