Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 05:55:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321575 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 06, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »

that actually remembers me; skeletons that wielded swords would be cool, and with bows visible in their hands...bones...and a minimal ai that tells them to back up when you get too close if they have a bow.
To be honest, I think its good that they don't run, otherwise lower experience characters, with less good equipment would have no chance of killing them.

Maybe for a hard mode?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:27 AM »

They aren't true skeletons as there's no xylophone accompaniment for when they appear.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 06, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »

If the danse macabre aint playing, then I aint slayin.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »

Last night I stowed my valuables away and with one of everything set off to get as far away from respawn as I could (still looking for mob spawn cage caves). Feeling strangely nervous I walked and walked for a long time, until I stumbled upon a tower i'd built a while ago and then lost - I thought i'd gone really far but i'd already been here!    Who, Me?

I continued walking and then swimming and saw another one of my telltale one block thick towers I use as markers - rising out of the sea. I swam over to find I'd built a small underwater base with windows and appliances ages ago and totally forgotten about it  WTF

I spent a night there waiting for the sun to filter through the water covered windows. At dawn I continued until out of the fog the tallest hill I'd ever seen appeared, it was actually more like a cliff and somewhat difficult to scale.  By the time I climbed to the top it was getting dark so I quickly threw up a house from sand blocks I had picked up on the way, I kitted it out with the usual appliances and a glass window each side. As dawn came the house was strangely foggy, a white shadow passing through the house.. it was a cloud!  My house was high enough that the clouds actually passed through it!  When the cloud cleared though I could see through each window another Creeper  Mock Anger Peering in and looking happy to see me Shocked  dun dun dun!!! Shocked 

Now.. the game continues..  Wizard
st33d
« Reply #1164 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »

Our Ray Frenden has got terrain and item textures to use now...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5054902096_ce3a6757c5_o.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88157/Frenden%20Minecraft%20Texture%20Pack/gui/items.png

Kiss

Any report on how much bandwiff a minecraft server takes up? I'm kinda tempted to set one up...
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1165 on: October 06, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »

So today, at school, I had a block where I didn't have to do anything. Naturally, I whipped out my lappity toppity box and started playing minecraft, and naturally a few people flocked to see what I was doing. Doing what 'normal' people tend to do when they see a game like minecraft, they began to make fun of it, both for look, and lack of goal. I told them what the game was about, since they stuck around, and that if they sat down and played it for 10 minutes they would be hooked.

One of the said people, after a while longer, politely said that they would like to try. Smiling to myself, I generated a new world and let them play, offering  occasional guidance.

They ended up playing for the forty minutes left in the block. (No pun intended)

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »

I've had similar experiences with recommending it to people; usually they just moan that it looks bad, but once they've actually tried it they start spending more time on it than me...
Eraser
« Reply #1167 on: October 06, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88157/Frenden%20Minecraft%20Texture%20Pack/gui/items.png

Kiss

Any report on how much bandwiff a minecraft server takes up? I'm kinda tempted to set one up...
What I'm most interested in is for the server to be rewritten. I would love something that didn't take 1gb of ram at launch to run, courtesy of Java. I have a VPS and running a minecraft server isn't exactly possible without spending quite a bit of money for the ram.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 07, 2010, 02:00:58 AM »

Kiss

can you post a screenshot of how they look in game? i'm currently trying the painterly pack and i don't really like it.
st33d
« Reply #1169 on: October 07, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: October 07, 2010, 06:17:44 AM »

That's not a screenshot!

Looks pretty sweet, a bit too clean for my tastes but i like the direction.
RCIX
« Reply #1171 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »

can you post a screenshot of how they look in game? i'm currently trying the painterly pack and i don't really like it.
There's quite a bit of customization options available, if you go to painterlypack.net and pick "Give me a personalized pack!". What exactly don't you like?
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 07, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »

I don't know exactly, it just feels like the world is duller, less vibrant than the default skin. The customisation looks neat. I may try the autumny version. Love me some red leaves Smiley
RCIX
« Reply #1173 on: October 07, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »

I don't know exactly, it just feels like the world is duller, less vibrant than the default skin. The customisation looks neat. I may try the autumny version. Love me some red leaves Smiley
Well, to me the color pallet of stock is missing a certain refinement that the Painterly pack has. To each his own though Smiley
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »

Yeah absolutely. I can definitely see the charm of the painterly pack. Gotta love such easily skinnable games. Smiley
Ant
« Reply #1175 on: October 08, 2010, 03:18:10 AM »

My gawd... I thought I was going to just pass by this whole Minecraft obsession everyone has, but after watching

I'm now hopelessly addicted!  Hand Any KeyAddicted
st33d
« Reply #1176 on: October 10, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »

Okay, so here's a really useful thing that I desperately need in Minecraft.

WHEN IT CRASHES, GIVE ME MY MOUSE BACK!!!

OSX Snow Leopard. When Minecraft crashes, that's it, no mouse. I have to try to remember the keyboard shortcut for force quit to get it back. It's quite a pain.

I figured out how to get Enter to work on the multiplayer server screen - by holding down shift and pressing enter. Why do I have to hold down shift? This makes no sense. What? I might press Enter by mistake? I might press shift+Enter by mistake, I can touch type.

Otherwise my only other complaint is that this game is like crack and I can't stop playing it. This is unacceptable. I would prefer to have more free time but I keep playing Minecraft.
HDSanctum
« Reply #1177 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:09 AM »

I fell off the map in a server where you can't die. And by fell I mean I drained the lava, found a hole and said "I bet I can jump off!", expecting to not be able to jump off. And I jumped off.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:24:59 AM by HDSanctum » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1178 on: October 12, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »

Don't go into the light!!!

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: October 12, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »