Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:36:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1316497 times)
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »

Absolutely, once it hits beta. The game works really well in fullscreen mode. =)

I want to more or less force people to get the latest version while it's in alpha.
ChevyRay
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »

This is cool so far! You can pull off some pretty sweet if you jump then place a block beneath you.

This is my stairway to heaven. It's not finished Tongue
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »

I just wanted to say how sweet this looks!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right  I can't play much right now on my laptop touch pad, but it looks like I'll have a lot to look forward to!  I really loved finding a natural spiral cavern under my second island, which led my to a enormous lava lake that I channeled off into another cavern!  Keep at it!  I'll keep checking back!

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

That list of tiles on your blog looks very promising already Smiley
Just one more: A "bush" tile, basically just a grassy-green block all around. I think that could make for formidable hedges and if you include wood, we could even grow trees without much effort! Grin Although there'd have to be at least two kinds of wood then, I guess: A natural one that could be used for trees, and another one that rather looks like wooden planks.

And don't forget about the multiplayer! Wink

I've also created a little video of something I built, and I really love that that was possible already.. anyway, going to upload that later. I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea of using annotations like that, Zolyx. I'm just so bad at making things up on my own Durr...?

So, off to bed, now that I'm finally freed of Minecraft's grasp.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

The water is so fun to mess with, but I've never seen lava.  I've looked in a whole lot of many caves on multiple levels, but no lava.  None on surface either, is there some sort of trick to get lava? Tongue

Scenic water:

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »

This lake occurred naturally. It was very impressive. I was just walking along, and I was like, "Holy shit that's a hell of a lake."
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »

I was deep underground and couldn't be bothered with climbing out so I respawned and saw a flash of lava. I then tried respawning there again, took me like five minutes to get a close enough spawn. Built a monument and castle at its side, spanned by a bridge. Beneath the castle is a cavern system, entered by going under the bridge. I'm contemplating flooding it with lava.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »

This is what it looks like on a big endian architecture:

Otherwise, it runs just fine.  Gentleman
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:43 PM »

This is my proudest accomplishment:

I can't wait until I get to save it! WizardHand Point Right

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2009, 03:14:57 AM »

This is what it looks like on a big endian architecture:

[pink!]

Otherwise, it runs just fine.  Gentleman

After some digging it seems like yours is the only computer that does right. I was sending RGBA data as ARGB, and for some reason it still looked right on most computers.
I think the problem was that I was treating an intarray as a bytearray, possibly causing some kind of offset problem.
When I fixed it to only work on byte arrays, I got the same result as you, so I could fix the bug.. i hope.

Please let me know after 0.0.13a is out. :-)
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »

I love this a lot, one nice addition might be the ability to fly. I've made a huge tower and fell off it with a long climb to get to the top Sad
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:30:31 AM by SelfTitled » Logged

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »

0.0.13a preview:

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »

That's looking great. Those new worlds are huge.. Can't wait to play around in these with friends, but being able to save is obviously already very great.
Not that it isn't already, but, sir: Minecraft is going to be awesome. Thanks a lot for making it Smiley

I'm also done with my corny video now, check it out:

Durr...?
Obviously inspired by Zolyx's videos Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »

Ooh, that's really nice
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »

Wow. I thought the levels were already big enough... then I watched the .13 teaser. Boy was I wrong. NEEEED!! Addicted Beg

Okay, a suggestion:

I can understand not adding a flight mode for free construction. I like the challenge of being stuck to the ground - it makes you think about how you're going to build something. Flight would largely remove this challenge. But having said that...

If you ever played Exile, it had a teleport system which I think could fit quite well with Minecraft:
 * Have a first-in, last-out list of teleport "bookmarks" - a maxmimum of 3-5 or so.
 * Hitting a suitable key would remember your current location.
 * Using the teleport button would take you to the last remembered location. That location is then removed from the list, so you'd have to re-mark it if you wanted to return there again upon your next teleport.
 * Trying to teleport when no locations are stored would be the same as the current random respawn.

@ MisterX - ahh, you're ahead of me, was just about to encourage you to film away to your heart's content :D That video is bloody brilliant, nice job!

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
OEP
Level 0

8)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »

I'm excited about playing this when I get home!

Alas, I could only muster about 6fps while here. The trailer looks much appetizing.

"A wise man once said to me: 'Leave enough whitespace at the bottom of every web page you create.' Shortly after, he passed away. In memoriam of his wisdom, I leave you with this text, a testament to his whitespace legacy."
- Source unknown
sporb
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »

look at these cool pictures
that is a huge bridge

a under lava lava pit

under lava lava pit close up

p.s. i made these
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:05:30 AM by sporb » Logged
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »

How do you guys manage to record such smooth video?

Every time I try to use a screen-capture program no matter what I'm trying to record, it makes everything go really slow.

Even Spelunky wound up at a nigh unplayable framerate when I tried to record a speed-run of mine, but I keep seeing these nice, smooth videos and such.

After watching that boat video, I was inspired to make my own cheesy silent film as well. I mean, I did that castle-photo adventure a while back...

Also, do you think we could have an option to turn off the HUD and the building indicators (the flashing or transparent blocks and such) in the upcoming version? They really muck up the view, and I don't think editing them out would be as easy in video.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:57:04 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
sporb
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

How do you guys manage to record such smooth video?

Every time I try to use a screen-capture program no matter what I'm trying to record, it makes everything go really slow.

Even Spelunky wound up at a nigh unplayable framerate when I tried to record a speed-run of mine, but I keep seeing these nice, smooth videos and such.
same thing with me every time i try the game starts freezing
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »

I think it largly depends on the performance of your computer. But, if the game already runs very well, so that there are enough resources left for capturing a video at the same time, it should work if the program allows for it.

I'm using CamStudio, and after some initial hiccups and finally switching to the "MPEG-4 Video Codec" for compression it works quite nicely. Not without flaws, as I got some weird graphical glitches or a bit of stuttering in some games when I recorded the Cockpit Compo video, but for example with Minecraft I didn't have any problems Smiley
Also, don't forget to limit the frame rate of the recording, I guess 30FPS will do in any case.
Lastly, don't try to record ingame audio with CamStudio. It won't work properly. Not that it really matters in Minecraft Giggle

Otherwise, there's Fraps which should work much more easily and flawlessly. But, the free version only allows for 30 seconds of recording per clip.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:01:03 PM by MisterX » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic