Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:04:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321396 times)
sporb
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

i made a toaster that you love
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

Nice, online saving. Will there be autosaving (preferably in a seperate slot)? I've already had at least two unexpected browser crashes, and I wouldn't want to lose everything if I forgot to save. Then again, if manually saving is quick enough, I guess that should suffice Smiley

Okay, a suggestion:

I can understand not adding a flight mode for free construction. I like the challenge of being stuck to the ground - it makes you think about how you're going to build something. Flight would largely remove this challenge. But having said that...

If you ever played Exile, it had a teleport system which I think could fit quite well with Minecraft:
 * Have a first-in, last-out list of teleport "bookmarks" - a maxmimum of 3-5 or so.
 * Hitting a suitable key would remember your current location.
 * Using the teleport button would take you to the last remembered location. That location is then removed from the list, so you'd have to re-mark it if you wanted to return there again upon your next teleport.
 * Trying to teleport when no locations are stored would be the same as the current random respawn.
Great idea! I had also thought about some kind of teleporter, but I'd like it much more this way.
I agree that flying wouldn't suit the game. At least I like that you're actually just a little guy running around a big (upcoming: huge Shocked) world creating stuff, instead of Minecraft being like an abstract level editor.
For example, building this Dwarf generally wasn't too interesting, as I was just copying some pixel art into the game. But, as it was so big and I carved out the cave first, I had to build some scaffolds to get to and build the higher parts. That just felt very nice. I felt immersed! Smiley

A set number of teleporter exits that could be set anywhere, anytime, but expire after being used (and for example if you build something over it) should be very efficient, yet suitable.

I think an interesting variation on sandbox mode would be where you have to remove a block to place one. It would put the MINE in minecraft.
But wouldn't that result in constantly having to run from your building site to a mine? At least one thing I like so much about Minecraft is that you can build so quickly. Sure, big buildings take a while, but I think that's fine, and otherwise there basically isn't any delay.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:54:29 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »

I really like the idea of having to mine blocks to build them.

It would add to the immersiveness of the game, having more realistic building restrictions, like having to build next to a mine, or have to do more work getting materials from the mine to the build site.

That's why I suggested it a page or two back. (I'm sorry.)

It would also be a great candidate to append combinations to, for making weapons and such.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »

^
But that should only be in survival mode.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »

I've been putting up portals from thenethernet.com (A passive Firefox add-on.) So your site will get alot more views  Blink Blink  Gentleman
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »

Hey Notch, how about outputting the current co-ordinates that the player is inhabiting to go with the version, fps and chunk updates information at the top-left of screen. It might seem like an insignificant thing to have currently but once multiplayer is in it will become valuable for sessions where players will want to accurately match up their tunnels and bridges to each others structures.
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »

I would like some sort of scanner for finding lava and caverns(and eventually other stuff when it's added) within my immediate area.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:51 PM »

You know, just being able to MAKE lava or water would be nice.
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

On this whole Survival-Creative issue...

I think that there should be a third mode in between the two, that has realistic building restrictions, but no monsters or eating or such.

And I agree on the making water and lava bit, as long as it stays in Creative mode.

And I disagree on the scanner thing. I think that would take away the raw feel of the game.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2009, 06:10:55 PM »

You know, just being able to MAKE lava or water would be nice.
So would being able to drain it (and water) from a map so you don't get isolated ponds filling up caves dug underneath with an infinite amount of liquid without draining from the original source.
Diggum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »

Gotta agree with Turbo, being able to remove water from caverns would be great. Luckily, it moves slowly enough that if you do open up your cave to a water source, you can usually block it off quickly enough.

I'm not sure about the water/lava scanner thing, but I thought a mini map would be great! That way you can see the lay of the land, maybe even make it topographical. It would almost invalidate the need to remove water from caverns because you could look up in the corner at your map and see that you were under a pond or ocean.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2009, 11:15:25 PM »

On this whole Survival-Creative issue...

I think that there should be a third mode in between the two, that has realistic building restrictions, but no monsters or eating or such.

I'll gladly provide an option for no monsters, but I'd rather keep the damage system throughout all game modes other than creative.
I could possibly have a "Regenerate health"-checkbox or something if people really end up hating food.

I'm thinking of having several difficulty levels, with "Walk in the Park" being not a challenge, "Easy" being ok for a normal solo player, and "Armageddon" being very hard even with 32 people.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »

I set up a channel for minecraft on irc:
irc.esper.net #minecraft

There's not much going on there at the moment, so it's a great place to idle.
Renton
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »

Can it not be esper.net? Those guys ban people (e.g me) for just being in certain countries.
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »

Shweet. (On the difficulty-levels and such.)

And in reply to your most recent blog entry...

I'm pretty sure going past 2^16 (256^2) would only get ugly for people using 16-bit processors, and I doubt many people have 16-bit processors. I think. If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to be educated, since I don't exactly pride myself on knowing things like this.

And Renton, why did they ban you? (Er... what reasoning was behind banning you for being in such-and-such country?)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:12:11 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

What would be a good irc server? I put it on esper.net since I'm on there anyway for tigirc.

vdgmprgrmr (that's not your real name, is it?):
I distinctly remember some old card of mine not doing 1024^2 on a 32 bit system, so there's some other limit in place.
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:35 AM »

No, vdgmprgrmr isn't my real name. (That'd be crazy.)

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, misread your post. Scratch all that stuff that was here before.

EDIT2: That's weird, since I'm on, I'm pretty sure, a 32-bit system, and I can handle 1024^2 just fine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:36:08 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »

oh yes, most modern graphics card can do it just fine. =)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »

Hey it'd be neat if block-resources were convertable. Like 4 blocks of dirt would let you lay a stone block, 10 stone would give you a crystal, and vice versa and so on.

It would also be neat if you placed a generator over lava to get power or something.

Sorry if I'm getting too far ahead. I'm just really excited for this and want to see some sweet resource-based gameage.

Alex
Level 0

Probably procrastinating right now!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:33 AM »

I can see through walls!

(I was inside a block created by lava falling on water)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic