Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:31:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313930 times)
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »

That looked like a lot of work Amadeous.

I have a WIP going on myself. It first started out with a bridge crossing the large center lake, but as you can see I have shifted my attention to the castle at the bridge now. Though it is hard to see in the picture, the bridge's pillars go all the way down to the lake floor.

I finished the front part and the courtyard/garden and am currently working on the main building. Everything after the garden is very WIP:

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=baltirow&id=0

Regarding ideas for the engine:

- Sponge blocks were mentioned earlier: I'd actually would love to have "pump" blocks, but that would require being able to turn blocks I guess (to etermine pumping direction). It would just be great if you could more quickly 'reclaim' land.

- I'd love to see slanted blocks (i.e. half 'triangular' blocks) to be able to make roofs, slanted roads (so you don't need to jump to go one square up all the time), more stylish windows and doors etc. Only one slanted block would be able to occupy a cell, just like any other block. This would, however, also require turning of blocks, not to mention it would double the amount of block types.

- A 'ladder' block would be great to.

- If water is present on one side

Diggum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »

Thank you for the kind compliments! The level is changing constantly so check back!

Anyway, heya Notch. I remember reading that you had a number of cubes available to you and thought I'd throw in a suggestion for special items for decoration. Like, a lot of us gravitate towards castles and such so a block or two that look like a weapon rack or chairs would be great! You could make skulls or a pile of bones to go for underground areas, stuff like that.

Great job as it is, by the way!
Nalok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

In my state of boredom I made http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=Dragoon&id=2This!
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

Hey, who likes big ass pyramids? Why is a pyramid right on top of a river? It's a video game silly, it doesn't need to make sense.

Minecraft: 165% more clicking on average than Diablo. Guaranteed.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »

oh wow, this is the best  damn thing i've tried in days Shocked just can't get enough. must dig, must build! Shocked Shocked

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »

Dude, it's games like yours that make me fall in love with games all over again.

So, far I am having a great time just messing around building gigantic structures.

I can't wait until the dungeon mode is implemented that idea is pure gold. My thinking about that mode is that you should allow the creator of the dungeon to edit the strength and weaknesses of the monsters as well as the attributes of the spawned items and gear. I would also love it if there were some kind of creature editor so people could make really crazy bosses and minions (think of creating a 30 block tall pixely balrog).

In regards to the team modes I believe that this game would benefit from a Team Fortress class type of setup (which I believe has been briefly touched on in this thread) in which two teams guard a valuable artifact. There would be builders (to build cleverly constrcuted mazes, hidden rooms and pitfalls), stealthy spy types (to scout out fortress to see the layout/defenses and to try and sneak past traps to get to the artifact), defenders (to defend the artifact) dungeoneers (would place traps to keep opposing team's players from getting to the artifact and would go with groups of players trying to gain entry into the other team's fortress to disable their traps) and miners (to harvest resources for building structures and traps).

Basically a team would try to gain entry into the other team's massive trap filled fortress to obtain the artifact and bring it back to their fortress whereby a timer would countdown until they one the game after a certain duration of possession. In the beginning of the game miners would scout the area for material rich sites that would then be under close guard by defenders to secure their team's ability to build.

The only class I am not quite sure how it would work would be the defender since I think that the team capture the flag mode mode shouldn't have any direct combat because I believe it would keep it more interesting with the whole idea of traps and such (and direct combat could be used for deathmatch or maybe there could be two different types of team flag modes, like say a team-flag and a team flag-frag).

Also, now that I am going idea crazy here I think that perhaps the "fortress mode" coould be a cooperative tower defense game where you and your team have to defend the keep from a relentless onslaught of monsters (which in fact could be peppered with other players Left 4 Dead style). The team would have a limited amount of time to quickly build whatever traps, turrets, monsters/minions to defend with and the difficulty would gradually ramp up as you had to manage repairing parts of your castle that get destroyed and defeating monsters that get inside.

Sorry for the crazy long post but this game is awesome  Beer!

I can't wait to see all of the great ideas in this thread implemented.

Keep up the good work  Gentleman

*edit* btw I think I may have an interesting idea fro the defender class I mentioned, perhaps they could be the ones to use some sort of materials to create monsters to defend their respective team's fortresses? I don't know just a thought.

also, I think that builders should have the ability to build more external defenses (as opposed to the dungeoneer's traps) such as turrets/catapults and such to give the class more versatility then just building structures).

p.s. I love the idea of posting scores on some sort of online leaderboard showing how fast, how many points and such a certain player/team complete a map so as to have something to compete against and also giving maps more replay value.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:10:04 PM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:26 AM »

One thing that's always bugged me about games with classes is that the first few times thing you start it, picking a class i basically an uninformed guess, and I ALWAYS end up wishing I had chosen something else.
Other than that, I think it's a great idea to encourage people to take on specialized roles. =)

As for multiplayer.. it's terribly boring, haha. I'm slowly chugging away at it, but the new client release will happen first.
Nalok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »

Go slow notch, the new blocks and that offset effect should come first
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:41:50 AM by Nalok » Logged
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »

I scrapped it! :-O

[edit:]
The offset, not the game. Wink
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »

aww but the offset was so cool. You should keep it in for "natural blocks" but have the "manmade blocks" be flat.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »

I also liked the offset effect, I just thought it was too extreme in the video making the worlds look quite bizarrly deformed. But toned down a bit I think it would look very cool and nicely natural.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

I have a suggestion regarding building things, specifically the building of things like siege weapons. The idea is that when you're building stuff in a level with your blocks, if you build a certain combination of blocks in a certain structure, those blocks will be removed, and replaced with the object. Of course, you'd have to make sure the structures are hard to accidentally make, but I really think this would be cool.
Nalok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »

D: Why notch, it was so cool D: But I agree on the using it only for water thing
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

Man, time flies when you building dungeons :D

Anyways, I have a couple of more things I thought of while playing the game today.

-I don't remember seeing this in the thread but I think that it would be great to have destructible walls (I would like to make some secret rooms only accessible by getting through the rock somehow)

-It would be great if while we are building below ground that some type of auto-map would map our caverns so that we don't get lost and overlap rooms and such.

-I would like to see a "free view" for the surface maps so I can look at my creations from afar.

-The ability to place blocks slightly further. Now I wouldn't want it to be too far (since I love having to build my own scaffolding and stairs to reach certain structures) but it would be cool if you could extend it just slightly more than what it is set at now.

-The ability to destroy/place more than one block at a time. (this would be especially useful for clearing out large caverns.

Just a couple of thoughts, this game just gives me so many ideas while I am playing it Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »

Uhm, for the destructible walls... you CAN break them.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »

Sorry, I should have clarified myself. I was thinking of the future when brave adventures would traverse the dark recesses of my dimly lit caverns. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I meant it for the dungeon crawl mode.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »

I'd really like an Unreal-style walk key that stops you from falling off edges when you get too close to them. That way when you are building off the side of something you don't have to be really careful to position yourself just right so you can still build and not fall. Have the option to set it as a toggle too, some of us like having our walk keys as a toggle instead of something you have to hold down.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:06 AM »

Seriously though, we really need a system of bookmarked points for dig areas. The area of the map is so big I can't find my dig Sad

...also might have a something to do with the majority of my construction occurring underground.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »

I tend to erect huge poles that reach to the maximum build height around where my builds are so I can find them from anywhere. Bookmarks would probably be a more elegant way of finding things though. Or as I said before just have your coordinates outputted to the top left so you can write down where stuff is done or just stick it in a text editor if you don't have a pen handy.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »

Quite a lot of great ideas here so far!

Minecraft is quite the click-o-rama. I'd like to have an option to 'hold' block removal (and/or placement) i.e. holding the right mouse button would make you remove blocks until you let go. Alternatively something like shift+RMB to continuously destroy blocks.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic