Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:39:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313931 times)
Renton
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:40 AM »

I think a multiple tile building/removing system would fix that.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »

Yeah, getting rid of the clicking is a must. I'm starting to wear down my index finger.
Renton
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »

I had no idea about the offset stuff. It looked great but not so much at the same time. I'm fully supporting the tile based dynamic lighting, though.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

I'd really like an Unreal-style walk key that stops you from falling off edges when you get too close to them. That way when you are building off the side of something you don't have to be really careful to position yourself just right so you can still build and not fall. Have the option to set it as a toggle too, some of us like having our walk keys as a toggle instead of something you have to hold down.
Shocked That's a cool idea! I think this would really cut down on the frustration of repeatedly falling off your buildings when you need to construct something like a bridge, without hurting the feeling of "immersion" you have because, for example, you can't fly around like you're in an editor.

I tend to erect huge poles that reach to the maximum build height around where my builds are so I can find them from anywhere. Bookmarks would probably be a more elegant way of finding things though. Or as I said before just have your coordinates outputted to the top left so you can write down where stuff is done or just stick it in a text editor if you don't have a pen handy.
I think it would work best if you could simply designate a "first spawn", so that whenever someone, or you yourself, load up the level, you will spawn at that specific point. With that you could actually have players spawn underground and then find there way out of a creepy dungeon or so, with a great feeling of relief once the exit to the sunny outside world is found Grin
And apart from that there'd only have to be those teleport bookmarks, preferably the way Zolyx suggested it, similar to Exile.
Maybe with these things added the currently random and pretty unhandy respawn function could be left as it is, for example to still quickly scan the whole world for specific places.

Quite a lot of great ideas here so far!

Minecraft is quite the click-o-rama. I'd like to have an option to 'hold' block removal (and/or placement) i.e. holding the right mouse button would make you remove blocks until you let go. Alternatively something like shift+RMB to continuously destroy blocks.
Good idea. I'm actually already using one of my keyboard's macro keys for a function like this. I can simply press a key to toggle "rapid fire", which doesn't do more than just spam left click about 50 times per second. That really helps Smiley I guess there should be lots of little programs which let you do that using any key, but a built-in function for Minecraft would be great, of course.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:01:08 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »

I miss holding space and repeatedly jumping.
Nalok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

Holy crap new tiles!
Evil-Ville
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »

Nalok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

Lol, nice one Evil
Amadeous
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »

Ah crap.

After the latest update, I can't open up my level anymore. Others seem to work, but when I load mine I get this:

"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: n must be positive"

Any idea?
Snuggletummy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »

Hello. I'm having a serious problem with the game, and honestly, I can't think of what might be causing it. If this error was discussed a few pages back, erm, sorry if I missed it. Anyway, down to the issue. When I play the game, it runs fine, I can select blocks, but I can't go into edit mode. When I right click, it does nothing. I have the latest version of Java, and I've tried it on Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome, and nothing has worked yet. So yeah, help would be greatly appreciated.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:14 AM »

Ah crap.

After the latest update, I can't open up my level anymore. Others seem to work, but when I load mine I get this:

Any idea?

I had some problems loading maps with the first couple of versions of 0.0.14 (caused by a bad combination of proguard and serialization) that I seemed to fix for the _03 update.

If you're still getting this problem now, please don't save over that level and post a play link to it here, and I'll try to fix.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »

Hello. I'm having a serious problem with the game, and honestly, I can't think of what might be causing it. If this error was discussed a few pages back, erm, sorry if I missed it. Anyway, down to the issue. When I play the game, it runs fine, I can select blocks, but I can't go into edit mode. When I right click, it does nothing. I have the latest version of Java, and I've tried it on Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome, and nothing has worked yet. So yeah, help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you left click to destroy blocks? What operating system? (Some version of windows, I assume)
Amadeous
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:30 AM »

Ah crap.

Any idea?

I had some problems loading maps with the first couple of versions of 0.0.14 (caused by a bad combination of proguard and serialization) that I seemed to fix for the _03 update.

If you're still getting this problem now, please don't save over that level and post a play link to it here, and I'll try to fix.

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=Amadeous&id=0

It crashes Firefox any time I try to run this level as well, and I started making it when level saving was introduced.
Snuggletummy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »

Can you left click to destroy blocks? What operating system? (Some version of windows, I assume)

Nope, can't left click either, and I'm using Windows XP.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »

Does clicking work now?
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »

I'd just like to say that I generated a "huge" map, and O.o awesome job!

Strange how the clouds look when you build a tower to the highest build level...

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Snuggletummy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »

Does clicking work now?

Sadly, no, clicking doesn't work at all, and that's real bummer, I was hoping to build things. I do still like to explore though, and have found some awesome stuff.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »

New version = awesome.

Only thing I'd ask for now is a way to add a grass tile. I've made an area of dirt rather far off from any actual grass, and it sucks having to wait for it to spread.
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »

My Castle!
Has what I think is the first airlock:

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »

Clever.