Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:45:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313989 times)
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2009, 09:41:42 AM »

For some reason, whenever i join a server it just freezes my browser. It doesn't matter which browser I use, it just does. I have the latest java and everything. There is no output to the java console.  Apoplectic
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2009, 09:54:09 AM »

Roblox is a similar but free game.

20 bucks is the price for Portal or Half life 2. I think it's cool that the author gets some cash for his work, but 20 euro is a bit excessive.

Maybe keeping it free but charging for some cool extra features will "keep the flow" going towards the game (publicity), and he can get some cash out of it.

Aquaria was $20, so was Eschalon: Book 1 as well as a slew of other indie games. Who is to say that the value of Minecraft (in completion) is not worth the same? With all of the features that Notch is planning on adding into the game it seems like he will have more than enough content to justify the price point. I think $20 is reasonable once the game has multiplayer (deathmatch, capture the flag, fortress defense, party based dungeon crawling) and all of the other things that were discussed in this thread. Really I am impressed with the work he has done so far and I can't imagine why he shouldn't get an incentive to keep expanding upon the game. Besides I get the feeling that Notch has a lot more in store for this game with future patches, I don't doubt my $20 will be well spent.

it would actually be about $28 and £18, which now looking at it does seem expensive as the game stands atm. Although it may be ok when the game is finished though.

Hmm, $28 does seems a bit excessive. Not that I won't pay it but a lot of people tend to shy away from buying indie games over $20 usually it seems. Hell, it's even difficult to sell them at less sometimes (see Braid). People have this idea in their head as to what is an acceptable price for an indie game and a lot of times if a game is priced too high then some people will just look the other way no matter how good the game is.

My advice to you Notch (not that I am any sort of authority on this subject so take from this what you will) is that maybe you should price it more around $15-20 (USD). Even though it is a lower price point I think it would probably garner more sales than selling it for more. I am only talking from my experience playing and buying indie game myself and the reactions of people to different game's prices (Braid, Castle Crashers, Aquaria etc...) but I think that is a price point that many more people would find acceptable.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »

MAN THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN PAYING FIFTEEN WHOLE DOLLARS FOR BRAID

That's like, fifteen tacos.

Now, you're asking me to sacrifice TWENTY TACOS!?

NOTCH YOU FOOOOOOOL
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »

This is quite fun! increpare and I built a big hollow tree earlier today. It felt a bit like building Lego things with my friends when I was a kid. Smiley
Evil-Ville
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »

This was probably already suggested, but it would be great to know if there's water behind a tile. Cry

Oh, also, my browser (Firefox) frequently freezes when loading the game. Not sure if it's the game's fault or Java's.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:46:04 PM by Caio » Logged
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2009, 01:57:03 PM »

I'm also having problems.  Around 4 times out of 5 or somesuch, I just get a black screen after loading, specially on multiplayer (more like 9 out of 10 there).  When it works, it works great (though it does have a rather high CPU usage)

(That's on Linux btw.  I also have Windows 7, but Java doesn't work at all there for some reason, despite having installed it several times by now..  Both are 64-bit, which may be related, the 64-bit Java plugins are really not very good ..)
kappa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

(That's on Linux btw.  I also have Windows 7, but Java doesn't work at all there for some reason, despite having installed it several times by now..  Both are 64-bit, which may be related, the 64-bit Java plugins are really not very good ..)

grab the latest version of Java 6 update 14, it now has windows 7 support and better 64bit support.
its not on java.com yet, you'll have to get it from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp you want the JRE 6 Update 14.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »

Evil-Ville, heretoforth shall I love you forever.

I love his little eyebrow raise in the first panel.

ALSO: For some reason, levels I save in multiplayer won't load.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:13:33 PM by FishyBoy » Logged
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »

I'm with the taco theory.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 11, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »

This was probably already suggested, but it would be great to know if there's water behind a tile. Cry
I don't know if that was ment to be an idea, but that's a great idea! Similar to Dwarf Fortress, why aren't tiles adjacent to water just coloured a little differently, to show that they're "damp"? I'm not sure if it would look bad, but I'm sure this could be implemented somehow to be just right.
It would make building underground a great lot easier without the need to awkwardly change the water physics, like making it take a second to start flowing or so.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »

Tears of Joy

Shit, I can't stop laughing.

Working on HeliBrawl
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 12, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »

For some reason, whenever i join a server it just freezes my browser. It doesn't matter which browser I use, it just does. I have the latest java and everything. There is no output to the java console.  Apoplectic
Same thing happens for me. Furthermore the java program seemed to continue running in the background without me realising it, and over a period of 5 minutes or so it slowed down everything else on the computer until I had to restart. I noticed the java thingy was still running after the 'End Task' dialog popped up for it.

I love your comic, Evil-Ville. I would gladly pay $20 for Minecraft, except that that really is a month's allowance for me Shrug

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2009, 02:25:38 AM »

I would gladly pay $20 for Minecraft, except that that really is a month's allowance for me Shrug
Problem is that the game costs €20, and since the Euro is worth more than the dollar, you'd have to pay 28 dollars, or 14 if you buy it now.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »

I really don't think other game modes will do anything for this game. All the fun here is in building stuff collaboratively - and, by the way, it's particularly awesome when, thanks to the game's underground caves, you accidentally connect your building to someone else's!

It would be really nice if someone could set up a private TIGS server. Griefers really spoil the fun.

And, speaking of griefers, here's a suggestion: keep a log of the last person to modify each tile and how it was before that and give admins the ability to revert all changes done by someone. It would do wonders against griefing.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »

Maybe he could charge for that instead of for the game.

I mean, 1 buck for a 4x4 (unlimited height) segment that only you and your friends can modify.
3 bucks 7x7, 10 bucks 15x15... you get the point.

Working on HeliBrawl
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »

Um, no that would be a little excessive. What would be the fun in only being able to build in a limited area and having to pay out the arse for it? All you have to do is create a private server where only you and your friends can join on and make stuff. Why overcomplicate things?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »

No, you can use whatever area you want. But some areas would be limited from assholes that want to wreak it.
I said those pricess as examples. If the server has a vast territory, then 1 buck could be bigger surface.

Not everybody can pay a dedicated server on a host or have a great conection to serve.

Working on HeliBrawl
Renton
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »

Um, no that would be a little excessive. What would be the fun in only being able to build in a limited area and having to pay out the arse for it? All you have to do is create a private server where only you and your friends can join on and make stuff. Why overcomplicate things?
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »

What are you finger-mute? Or just a smart-ass?
Can you read? Or you just write posts seamlessly?

I'll retort:
Not anyone has the cash or connection to put a personal server.
If the creator is offering a mostly-online game without a service to back it up... It will be harder for him to succeed.

He could grant a private server on his host for each person that buys a copy, for example, for some period of time.
But if the target of the game is cooperatively do stuff, it should promote social interaction.
Then you wouldn't want to be in a private server... but a server that has other unknown people.
The ability of allowing or disallowing some of them on your territory would be necessary in the case of people that only want to mess around.

Also my idea was not to limit the area, but to have some places that can only be modified by certain people (you and your friends).
That's way more easy to implement than having logs and moderators having to read thru them in order to "revert to pre-destruction".

Repeating other answers is not very intelligent.
So, before being a douche, at least think of something constructive to say.

Thanks
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic